Beta Blockers and BAVD

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCRN

Hey

I've been having fluid issues and I recently found out that beta blockers can interfere with your T3 levels which, in turn, can cause water weight gain. My surgeon told me he'd like me to stay on Toprol due to my "abnormal vascular system" but I think it's just his preference. I had an EF of 60+, BP average 90s/60 and no other signs of adverse effects to my heart. I had my aortic valve and ascending aorta replaced with a mechanical valve conduit. If there are any of you out there who had valve replacement due to congenital bicuspid aortic valve and aren't on a beta blocker I'd sure love to hear from you. I want some ammo to take with me to my cardiologist. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You've gotten no responses, so I thought I'd post to keep the thread fresh.

As you can see, I'm in the waiting room, but I'm on Toprol XL too. Beside BP, perhaps your cardio's preference relative to your abnormal vasculature has to do with the protection afforded by prolonged (lengthened? not sure of wording here...) dP/dt?

Some questions for you: What are T3 levels? How does beta blocker effect EF?

T3

T3

PJmomrunner said:
You've gotten no responses, so I thought I'd post to keep the thread fresh.

As you can see, I'm in the waiting room, but I'm on Toprol XL too. Beside BP, perhaps your cardio's preference relative to your abnormal vasculature has to do with the protection afforded by prolonged (lengthened? not sure of wording here...) dP/dt?

Some questions for you: What are T3 levels? How does beta blocker effect EF?

T3 is the form of thyroid hormone the body uses once it is converted from T4. If you have low levels it can make one slightly hypothyroid, thus fluid retentive. Beta blockers indirectly improve EF by slowing the heart rate and giving more filling time for the ventricles as well as decreasing the pressure (BP) the heart has to work against......among other things. I guess that's the that's the simplest way to put it. The reason meds are prescribed pre-surgery are different from post even though they may be the same in some cases. Thanks for the answer. I'll hang in there and see if I catch someone who hasn't had to take one. I just wonder if there's somebody out there who's just on coumadin or nothing at all post aortic valve replacement?

I'm on 325 mg enteric coated aspirin, 20 mg Lasix and 10MEQ potassium. I am on the lasix only because I ended up with pericardial constriction after replacement and the diuretic helps with the fluid build up (which you know already.)
I'm a congenital bivalve and had some trouble with a rapid heart rate, but the cardiologist said he saw no reason to put me on anything for it. He thought it would resolve on its own, and it has.
Mary

Bingo!

Bingo!

Mary said:
I'm on 325 mg enteric coated aspirin, 20 mg Lasix and 10MEQ potassium. I am on the lasix only because I ended up with pericardial constriction after replacement and the diuretic helps with the fluid build up (which you know already.)
I'm a congenital bivalve and had some trouble with a rapid heart rate, but the cardiologist said he saw no reason to put me on anything for it. He thought it would resolve on its own, and it has.
Mary

Thanks! I take it since you're not on coumadin you have a tissue valve? Did you by chance have any problems with your aorta? (enlargement or aneurysm) I'm thinking about weaning myself off and see how I feel. I saw where another member did that. I will mention it to my cardiologist next week. :) Thanks again for your input.

Good day,

I probably can not help you because I have still such little knowledge, however I think you might look for an example like I present.
I have the aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude. I also had to have two operation as a child to widen my aorta. My valve was a Bicuspid valve and the narrowing of the aorta was all present at my birth.
I only had beta blockers for a few weeks before the operation. They made me terrible weak. A week before I had my operation I stopped taking the beta blockers and a felt so much better and stronger without them.
All I am taking now is the Warfarin. My aorta is still narrower than it should be and the valve is in place ticking away. My blood pressure if high is 130/80 but mostly around 118/75. My resting pulse seems to change more often between 60 and 80.
by for now
Eowyn Rose

CCRN said:
Thanks! I take it since you're not on coumadin you have a tissue valve? Did you by chance have any problems with your aorta? (enlargement or aneurysm) I'm thinking about weaning myself off and see how I feel. I saw where another member did that. I will mention it to my cardiologist next week. :) Thanks again for your input.

No problems with my aorta at all. :) I had a bovine valve implanted June 7.

Eowyn Rose said:
Good day,

I probably can not help you because I have still such little knowledge, however I think you might look for an example like I present.
I have the aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude. I also had to have two operation as a child to widen my aorta. My valve was a Bicuspid valve and the narrowing of the aorta was all present at my birth.
I only had beta blockers for a few weeks before the operation. They made me terrible weak. A week before I had my operation I stopped taking the beta blockers and a felt so much better and stronger without them.
All I am taking now is the Warfarin. My aorta is still narrower than it should be and the valve is in place ticking away. My blood pressure if high is 130/80 but mostly around 118/75. My resting pulse seems to change more often between 60 and 80.
by for now
Eowyn Rose

Oh thanks so much for your answer. I think I'll feel better without the Beta blocker as well. My docs may find I'm not the milktoast compliant patient they think. :)

Back