Best surgeons in Bay Area (Stanford, UCSF, other)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjay

I'm 54 BAV with severe stenosis, starting to shop for surgeon in the bay area, preferably Stanford. I would need an AVR and also aorta (root and ascending) replacement (Bentall procedure), so hopefully this surgeon would specialize in the latter as well.

Any recommendations welcome.

PS: Not that it's relevant (for surgeon choice), but I'm in a very good shape physically, thanks to long-distance running (and other athletic endeavors before). I won't ask for valve choice (yet) given there are numerous resources and wealth of information already available on this platform (which I've searched over the years). But I hope to continue running, and/or resume weight training/bodybuilding (which I sacrificed 10-15 yrs ago in order to extend my native valve's life), "as seriously and safely as possible".

Yes, when I lived in the Bay Area my cardiologist recommended Dr Fischbein if I needed another surgery. Dr Craig Miller, now retired, did my 2nd and 3rd surgeries. I live in Los Angeles, now, and so far haven’t needed another surgery.
I always felt good checking into Stanford for my surgeries. I just knew I’d be fine and I always recovered really well.

Pick a hospital not a surgeon. OHS of this type requires a surgical team not just a surgeon.

Pick a hospital not a surgeon. OHS of this type requires a surgical team not just a surgeon.
I agree to a point. It does take a team and personally I believe the folks at your head might be equally as important as those at the chest. However, often times it’s the surgeon that has the great team built around them to create an outstanding program. Not vice versa.

The surgeons I’ve had at Stanford Hospital picked their team for my surgeries. Dr Miller was one of the worlds great surgeons and he also picked chief surgical residents to be his second on my risky, difficult surgeries. I’m assuming Dr Fischbein will do the same.
Stanford is a top heart hospital! I would consider recommended surgeons and the hospital they work with when making any decisions.

I'm 54 BAV with severe stenosis, starting to shop for surgeon in the bay area, preferably Stanford. I would need an AVR and also aorta (root and ascending) replacement (Bentall procedure), so hopefully this surgeon would specialize in the latter as well.

Any recommendations welcome.

PS: Not that it's relevant (for surgeon choice), but I'm in a very good shape physically, thanks to long-distance running (and other athletic endeavors before). I won't ask for valve choice (yet) given there are numerous resources and wealth of information already available on this platform (which I've searched over the years). But I hope to continue running, and/or resume weight training/bodybuilding (which I sacrificed 10-15 yrs ago in order to extend my native valve's life), "as seriously and safely as possible".
I had my redo AVR at Stanford. Dr Malidi replaced my St Jude mechanical. I acquired Afib after the surgery, initial treated with attempted cardio versions and Tykosyn meds. Discontinued meds when new cardiologist recommended alternative and safer meds.
Returned to hiking and weightlifting 2 months post hospital discharge. Within 1 year, I was back to original strength and aerobic capacity. Other than the lifelong requirement of anticoagulant meds, my health is very good. I have no limitations.
My Afib has never been problematic despite very intense exercise.
As FDR stated; you have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

Latest posts

Back