Bentall & Freestyle

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, 10-15% of patients get it, if I recall correctly. I didn't get it, but was imagining that, if the recovery process pauses for a couple of weeks, this might be difficult physiologically.
I can't speak to a pause, but I was unaccountably negative in the first 2 or 3 months. I believe that the fog of post surgical post perfusion contributed in specific irritations (not being able to think clearly on specific topics), but I believe it was distinct and I was depressed because of the "depression" not the things I attributed as specific irritations or issues.

I feel that once I was out on the beach again, nordic pole walking and jogging was when it lifted.

I wonder how much of this is literally neurochemistry stuff that Andrew Huberman discusses.

As it happens I've done most of this most of my life
https://www.flashhub.io/andrew-hubermans-morning-routine/

Reactions: V__
@V__

For the purpose of helping the 10-15% of others that may be affected, let me describe what happened here.

I didnt get these bouts of depression until about 6 months out of recovery every time. The first couple of months went well for me both times, since I was euphoric to have made it. I am also generally a person with a pretty positive outlook in life and I think most of my friends and work colleagues would confirm that.

The first bout was all about me asking myself why this had to happen to me. After month 6 of the recovery I felt very down. I.e. every negative emotion I had was amplified by a factor of 10. I just felt very sad every day for some time and while I tried to resist this with a positive attitude, it didnt help. Then one day four weeks later my mood miraculously lifted and I felt better. this was after the first surgery in 2014. This second time around, although I thought that I was prepared, it was more intense. I was very sad, kept asking myself what my purpose in life is despite me having a nice family and thoughts of self-harm were present as well. I kept fighting back with my positive thoughts as best as I could, but I knew that this would be over one day. But it was hard. No doubt about that.

To me, the depression bit is way worse than OHS, because I have to face this myself. I cant think of a specific trigger. It just came and went both times after OHS. I have not been this depressed before ever. So I think it was probably a genuine case of Cardiac depression both times. I really dont want to go through this again, so happy that I chose mechanical this time around. I know that mechnical doesnt mean reop is impossible, but 90% prob of no reop is good enough for me :)

I think they should have opened a new thread, what @V__ says is very important, but it has nothing to do with this... Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor and I'll tell him everything I've read here and what I've learned, I've been reading of resilia valves...

what @V__ says is very important, but it has nothing to do with this...
out of interest, what in particular? I await your thread.

With respect to the resilia we just don't have sufficient data yet to do more than conjecture and swallow what ever "marketing" tells us.

For instance this older comparison
1704410760339.png

what do we infer from the error bars about what happens near to the 15 year mark when we consider that all bio-prostheses fail in non linear ways? Can we infer this?
1704410940111.png

interpolation is one (difficult without > Nyquist sampling) thing, but extrapolation is much more fraught. Be careful research into what is does not become justification of desire.

1704411039570.png

More devils likely exist in the details than may be encompassed in your research strategy Horatio.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back