Before and After Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savin

Hello everyone, new to the board but not to heart talk. I'm having a tissue valve replaced after having it in for 11 years. It's I was 16 and went for the tissue valve after being convinced coumadin would ruin my life and cause me to live in a bubble. However, after reading more and talking to my surgeon I'm leaning heavily toward a mechanical valve.

A little background - I'm 27 now, work a very non-active job (50+ hours per week in a chair), but an active lifestyle outside. I hike, walk my dog, do yard work and play recreational sports. I enjoy alcohol way too much, not to the point of dependency but being in my 20s it's hard to say no when the guys call you out for a beer - and as we know, it's never one.

I'd say at this point in my life, not having to have another valve replacement is the first, second, and third priority for me. So like I said, the mechanical valve is what I'm favoring. But to all of you here on coumadin, what's your take on having a few beers one or two nights a week? I'd also be interested in anyone who could share what their lives were like before and after being on coumadin. I basically want to know what others have been able to "get away with," if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your time.

Latest posts

Back