Be honest: can I do this?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suzanne,

So sorry to hear about recent events for you!!!

I don't think it's your shoes or your walk......I noticed that you mentioned walking in pre-dawn hours......and on sidewalks.....I know that around here sidewalks can be pretty un-even - I don't use them for that reason. I'm lucky that most of my running is done on asphalted recreational paths - either that or a track and sometimes a road if I'm in a quiet neighborhood - never use sidewalks.

I also try to avoid running in the dark as much as possible - this goes for walking too - TM's are good if you need to use one.

Hope you heal soon!
Rachel

Suzanne, you need to practice raising your knees up. Change your stride and your gate. I think the best way to go about this is to get a running trainer for a session or two and have them watch you run on a treadmill and on the street as well as have them watch you speed walk. You'd be surprised with things that they are trained to see and will help you will.

I have noticed that since my surgery, and I have gotten on the bicycle regularly, weight training several times a week, and some running, my overall balance and coordination have greatly improved. I can stand on one foot while putting on sock and shoe and tying laces (like a stork, couldn't do that before), sink a perfect paper-wad basket from across the room, and have much improved my slow speed bicycle maneuvering. I would recommend, for balance, single-leg deadlifts. You can probably improve your running and walking by playing with your stride and pace. Run slower and faster, longer strides and shorter, heel strike and forefoot. Run one way for a while, then change it up. Run, walk, skip, jump rope, bicycle. Work out thinking about being able to "trip without falling." As your body and mind get better and better at handling varying conditions, you'll be better able to handle a surprise like catching your foot on an obstacle. You will probably never be able to totally avoid a misstep or trip, but you can absolutely improve your reaction. In every health matter, including exercise (and of course diet!), you perform best when emphasizing variety and moderation.

Latest posts

Back