BAV and Long Distance Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am a moderate stenosis and moderate plus regirg in the waiting room 42 year old. I'm looking for any studies that have been done on long distance running and Bicuspid Aortic Valves. After being told very early on in life not to push myself, I decided at 40 not to use that as an excuse anymore and adopted a much healthier lifestyle. I committed to running 1000km in 2013 which led to running my first half last weekend. My goal time was 2:00 and I ended up doing it in 1:52 which I was quite pleased about. It wasn't too much of a strain so I'm contemplating trying to train for the marathon distance in about a year. I will be discussing it with my cardio but does anyone know what the elevated risk is for LV Thickening, aneurism or dissection? I am a careful trainer and still don't push myself too much so the training lead up will be gradual. Last cardio visit was no change (progression has stopped over the last few years) and to listen to my body. So far so good and I'm finding no issues so far. I'm hooked after the half and can't wait for the next race.

Hi Jumpy,

I recall a study linking dissection to different types of activity.....unfortunately, I cant remember it by name. But I do remember that I found it simply by using google.
I do a large amount of mountain biking and have discussed the risk of dissection at length with my cardiologist. He has advised that the risk of dissection increases greatly with the size of the aorta, as we all know. With that being said, he has advised me that mountain biking and other cardio type exercises, (Running, Swimming ETC) are lower risk than weight lifting, and that I should continue riding.

Of course it will all depend on the size and severity of you aneurysm.

Hi Jumpy,

I recall a study linking dissection to different types of activity.....unfortunately, I cant remember it by name. But I do remember that I found it simply by using google.
I do a large amount of mountain biking and have discussed the risk of dissection at length with my cardiologist. He has advised that the risk of dissection increases greatly with the size of the aorta, as we all know. With that being said, he has advised me that mountain biking and other cardio type exercises, (Running, Swimming ETC) are lower risk than weight lifting, and that I should continue riding.

Of course it will all depend on the size and severity of you aneurysm.

I did many long races (20 to 30 miles over the mountains) over a period of twenty years knowing I had BAV. I did tell my cardiologist at each yearly check up exactly what exercise I was doing and also asked whether it was OK to carry on. The reply was always carry on doing what I am presently doing. About a year before my valve replacement I was told to start taking it easy as my heart and aorta figures where changing for the worse. I think my aorta was about 5 cm when I had surgery. I think it is up to your cardiologist to say what you can and cannot do depending on your present condition and not what others have done.

Good luck with your running.

I am a moderate stenosis and moderate plus regirg in the waiting room 42 year old. I'm looking for any studies that have been done on long distance running and Bicuspid Aortic Valves. After being told very early on in life not to push myself, I decided at 40 not to use that as an excuse anymore and adopted a much healthier lifestyle. I committed to running 1000km in 2013 which led to running my first half last weekend. My goal time was 2:00 and I ended up doing it in 1:52 which I was quite pleased about. It wasn't too much of a strain so I'm contemplating trying to train for the marathon distance in about a year. I will be discussing it with my cardio but does anyone know what the elevated risk is for LV Thickening, aneurism or dissection? I am a careful trainer and still don't push myself too much so the training lead up will be gradual. Last cardio visit was no change (progression has stopped over the last few years) and to listen to my body. So far so good and I'm finding no issues so far. I'm hooked after the half and can't wait for the next race.

Congratulations on reaching your goal. I never had restrictions placed on my activity until my stenosis was deemed severe. At that point my cardio suggested no heavy lifting, but was fine with cycling and cardio activityetc.
You mention risk of dissection, but you didn't say you had an aneurysm. Perhaps I missed that from a previous post.
Its always a good idea to consult with your cardiologist as he,she knows the specifics of your gradients etc.
Wishing you all the best with future running!

I started a thread here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...se-and-stress-with-Aortic-Aneurysm&highlight=
with links to research about exercising with an aortic aneurysm. In general aerobic exercise is recommended, weight lifting and contact sports are not. Based on the research I would not push myself too hard with an aneurysm, though size matters - anything close to the surgical criteria I would be even more careful. I can't comment on the risks due to the BAV. I ran (including a marathon), biked, and swam for years without knowing I had a BAV and never had problems.

Like others, I can't recall the exact location of what I found, but I too remember that aerobic and light weight bearing exercise was OK. Weight-bearing exercise (ie - dead-lifts etc) that requires straining was a no-no. Holding your breath during any weight-bearing exercise was discouraged, as it causes a quick jump in BP.

I am a moderate stenosis and moderate plus regirg in the waiting room 42 year old. I'm looking for any studies that have been done on long distance running and Bicuspid Aortic Valves. I will be discussing it with my cardio but does anyone know what the elevated risk is for LV Thickening, aneurism or dissection? I.

Hi Jumpy,

Are you looking for information on stenosis/regurg and long distance running or aneurysm rate and long distance running? From what I have read, it seems you have stenosis and regurg, but not an aneurysm.
Depending on the above information, this may impact what restrictions you may be given by your cardio.

Welcome....I had no limitations leading up to my surgery...I did a half just months before I went under the scalpel. My cardio just told me to listen to my body....and sure enough 2 months after the half, I could not finish a mile run. Good luck on your training...you can find more info on heart patients doing endurance running at
http://heartorg.zohosites.com/home.html

Yes no Aneurism. All was good on my last Echo. I really enjoyed the accomplishment of the half and considering trying the full. More concerned with the risks of LV thickening due to training. My Mom had a brain aneurism when she was quite young (39, I'm 42) so maybe my concerns stems from that. I know that many have legitimate health concerns on this site and I am talking about training. I know that so far I've been lucky to be able to continue to be healthy in the waiting room. I'm very fortunate.

I continue to astound my Family physician who said two years ago that I should get the valve replaced but the cardiologist has continued to trust my "listening to my body". I am always concerned that the physiological aspects of the restricted Aortic valve will be affected by the harder training of a full marathon. I know I need to just continue with what I'm doing and run while I can. I set a goal last year of running 1000km.....I'm at 940 as of November 1st. Thinking of trying 1000 miles in 2014...who wants to join me??

All I can offer is my personal experience:
My BAV was first diagnosed when I was five years old, but I was never given any restrictions. I always led a very active lifestyle, including football, wrestling, track, tennis, etc. I was also an avid weight lifter from age 12.
I was asymptomatic until age 46, about year prior to my surgery. At that point I started developing shortness of breath and chronic fatique.
I did develop some severe left ventricular hypertrophy at some point but it really wasn't noticed until my surgery. My surgeon was concerned that I might have done some permanent damage, but fortunately the enlargement reversed itself within about 18 months after my surgery.
At the time of my surgery, my cardiologist asked me to give up heavy weight lifting and switch to more aerobic exercise (which is how I eventually came to do triathlons). Ironically, in the last couple of years my cardiologist has somewhat reversed course and encouraged me to add more weight training (moderate weights/high reps) back into my regimen in order to help offset muscle loss due to age (I turned 60 this year).
Mark
Mark

Latest posts

Back