Banknig One's Own Blood ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steve c

I've been told that there is only about a 15% chance that I would need a blood transfusion during my aortic valve replacement surgery. Does anyone have any experience with either banking their own blood, or having considered it?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I had wanted to bank my own. Was told that it would not be needed. However, as the time drew near when I asked the same question again. I was told that I could not do it. Not enough time for my own to replentish. Was not aware that I had gotten a transfusion. Talking to my mother meny months after my surgery. She told me that when they saw my in ICU. I was in fact getting a transfusion. The nurse told her that those who get the full cut loose blood. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure there are those that can shed more light then I.

If you have the time before sugery....bank it.

Believe on average you may only need one pint. Or maybe nothing. Best to be prepared.

FYI..... you need to be free and clear of all and any viral and or bacterial infections. Cannot be on antibiotics, etc. This will slow down the donatoin process. Was only able to get one in before sugery. Ended up needing a lot more than most. I have been tested for anything "blood borne" and came up free and clear.

Best wishes,

It's a personal choice. I banked my own. They refer to it as autologous donation.

I gave two units one week apart about 2-3 weeks prior to my scheduled surgery date, which was moved.

Having been pretty symptomatic pre-surgery, it tired me out quite a bit, but other than that it was no big deal.

They will give you iron and folic acid to try to bring your hemoglobin back up faster. Iron causes some mild discomfort in that it constipates you and can irritate the stomach if taken without food. Nothing major.

Aside from personal philisophical reasons for doing so, there is one solid reason I am glad I gave my own blood.

My surgery was bumped once, but they wouldn't bump me twice because my blood had a shelf-life of 35 days. After that, they would destroy it. It seemed they were very concerned about doing that. I suppose it would've been quite wasteful and possibly inflicting unnecessary stress on a patients body.

I do not know if all hospitals act this way as a policy or if it's a policy of the Canadian health care system or if that's universal.

Aside from personal reasons (knowing the blood is safe, not taxing the blood system), I believe this was an important side benefit to my donation.

Incidentally, I was told they didn't have to use any of my blood.
Kev

It would be interesting to find out how many of us had to have blood during/after surgery. I personally did not. But I was so anemic following surgery that they talked about possibly having to give me a pint before I left the hospital. Luckily, after all the Iron tabs, it wasn't necessary.

I had my aortic valve replaced in 1988 and did not need any blood. I believe they said they will recycle any blood lost back into my system as part of the procedure, at least that is what I recall.

To Bill C

To Bill C

You could do a poll about the blood thing. The instructions are pretty self-explanatory.

I wouldn't expect full participation yet because the members aren't all familiar with the poll feature yet.
Kev

I banked my own about a month before and used it. I also had a friend who gave a pint for me, but I didn't need hers. I was also anemic, but just had to take iron for a month.

If you do bank it, make sure you mention this when you go to the hospital for your pre-op paperwork and bloodwork, and mention it again to your surgeon, because if you don't remind them, they might forget and not use yours if you need it.

Since this was the only time in my life that I donated blood, I found something interesting about a week before my surgery when I received correspondence from the American Red Cross. I was apparently exposed at some time to Hepatitis B, but luckily didn't have the active form. It probably came from my life as a Phlebotomist (person who draws blood) when I first graduated from high school.

Latest posts

Back