Bactrim and Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

Had some toenail surgery done and the podiatrist wants me to take Bactrim for 10 days. Reading the literature that came with the RX, it says that taking bactrim may reduce the effectiveness of my blood thinning medication ( and it specifically mentions coumadiin). Should I be worried about my INR? should I get tested more often? I haven't started taking it yet because I don't want to mess up my INR....
Thanks in advance for your input!

perkicar said:
Had some toenail surgery done and the podiatrist wants me to take Bactrim for 10 days. Reading the literature that came with the RX, it says that taking bactrim may reduce the effectiveness of my blood thinning medication ( and it specifically mentions coumadiin). Should I be worried about my INR? should I get tested more often? I haven't started taking it yet because I don't want to mess up my INR....
Thanks in advance for your input!
Yes dear, test you INR 3 days into the bactrim and adjust accordingly.

This is a very dangerous combination. Can't they find another drug such as cephalexin that causes less problems? It enhances the effect of warfarin. You can have spectacular bruising and risk of bleeding.

Bactrim is a bit much for this type of procedure. I agree with Al, something like keflex would have been fine unless a culture specifically pointed to Bactrim. I any case, stay on top of the INR and don't let anyone step on the toe!:eek:

Latest posts

Back