Bacterial Endocarditis post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read the current major survey articles. The only prophylactic activities suggested for BE is premedication for some specific activities, such as teeth cleaning. There is no need to segregate yourself from people or to medicate if people around you have normal illnesses. BE can be caused by many strains. It just so happens, those that like the mouth are seen more often than others.

Just pray that you do not have any kind of infection. Any kind of endocarditis is never real reveals itself too often till is too late to see it. And you can do everything to prevent, but it can come from many sources not quite so obvious. You can even have a sinus infection or a cold and still get endocarditis.

And as far as restrictions, you should really ask your cardio about that. Excerise is usually said for walking or mild, non strenuous. Just ask the Cardio about what you can and cannot do.

I have a question about BE: does anyone know if you can get BE from a strep throat infection?
If so, should those of us with mechanical valves go on antiobiotics if we have been around a sick family member,ill student who was diagnosed with strep throat? Is impetigo a bacterial infection that can cause BE?
Does anyone on this forum know which strains of bacteria are most likely to cause BE?
I don't know about BE, but strep throat (scarlet fever) can cause rheumatic fever which can damage the aortic valve.

And as far as restrictions, you should really ask your cardio about that. Excerise is usually said for walking or mild, non strenuous. Just ask the Cardio about what you can and cannot do.

Huh? I had a case of BE so severe I wasn't expected to live to, or through, the redo operation. My surgeon said it was the most exuberant growth he had ever seen on a valve, and it was blocking my coronary artery by 60%. Well, I lived, and I have ZERO exercise restrictions.

I'm currently training for an international ocean paddling race in Mauritius in July, a half marathon in August, and potentially a four-day mountain bike stage race in October. My cardiologist thinks I'm a bit of a nut, and my surgeon thinks it's great that I'm getting so much use out of the heart he has fixed (twice). Once you're through the usual OHS healing process, you shouldn't have any restrictions just because you had BE!

Reactions: Amy
Back