Back in the hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninsd

Went to see the cardiologist Friday morning for a followup. He didn't like something so ordered an echocardiogram. Found that there is excess fluid in my pericardium that will need to be drained but they can`t do that until the post suregery Coumadin goes away. So here I sit in the hospital, bored (guess that's good in the hospital) and waiting for my INR to get low enough that they can do a pericardiocentesis safely.

I'm told that I should feel a lot better after the fluid is draiined and my heart can expand enough to pump a normal volume of blood with each beat. It had compensated by beating faster (about 120 bpm vs. my normal 60 or so).

Hang in there, John,
A few of us have (including myself) been back to the hospital post-op from hitting a recovery speed bump. You will feel better after the fluid drains.

Got the pericardiocentesis done this morning. Now I have some soreness in my left side (like someone hit me with a baseball bat) but at least we're making progress. The hospital (Sharp Memorial in San Diego) is actually not too bad. All the rooms are private, the food doesn't suck and the wifi is fast enough for what I do online. They must have a rigorous screening process for the personnel here - all of the staff are friendly and helpful and capable and seem like they want to be here.

Thanks for all replies - it always helps to hear from others in similar situations and to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry you are having 5this trouble but it's not uncommon ... I had the same issue but was treated with meds. I couldn't walk across the room without getting winded. Everyone is different and as well are treatments. But you will fell a thousand times better once the fluid is gone!! Hang in there!!!

I'm curious to know how long, post-op, are you all experiencing this? I'm 4 months out and have had increasing shortness of breath and can't seem to get past the fluid retention. I saw my cardiologist on Friday and he said my heart sounds great, but has ordered an echocardiogram to try and figure out the shortness of breath problem. Any thoughts from the wise ones out there?

I went back into the hospital 4 weeks after surgery and stayed a week. They drained the fluid from my pericardium and a few days later did a transephogeal echocardiogram and cardioversion. I came home about 24 hours later as the A-fib was gone and I had a normal sinus rhythm. So far (3 days after getting home) I feel about the same but I can stay awake longer and walk a little farther so I take those as positive signs. The nurses told me not to come back but women have been telling me that for years - this time I intend to comply.

Latest posts

Back