baby aspirin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Hey I have a question, why do we have to have a prescription to get baby aspirin? I just tried to find it, and can't! I called the pharmacy, and they said "it has to be prescribed." Weird, huh? Especially since they sell adult aspirin over the counter...hmmmm...

Hi Joy!
I take a baby aspirin along with my coumadin. My cardio just told me to go out and buy it otc. As far as I knew there was no need for a prescription. I buy mine otc.

Take Care!
Gail

That's ridiculous, Joy, must've been a dumb pharmacy person - just go to your local walmart, grocery or wherever you get your aspirin, look for 82mg aspirin - that's the baby dose, but you can get low mg adult aspirin, too. Same thing.

Just to show, I went to local WalMart, asked for a male urinal (for my brother, y'all) and she hadn't a clue what I was talking so when I found them, I showed them to her so she'd know the next time. Happy huntin:D

Hi Joy
When you get your baby asprin, you should get enteric coated asprin. We have a generic kind that says "Adult Low Strength Asprin Enteric Coated 81 mg each." Even small amounts of asprin can irritate the stomach and could cause bleeding. I think the coated ones desolve in the intestine not the stomach. These are available all over the place. The person you spoke to either misunderstood or is a ninny!

Hey guys, yeah, I called the pharmacy when I got home from running my errands, and she said "yea, we carry it, but it has to be prescribed in order for us to give it to you. The NHB pharmacy gives OTC stuff too, just have to fill out a form. Only 20 more hours of wearing this holtor moniter, YAY! I just need a shower. I'm really glad I requested it though, because I have had several "events" with this thing on. Usually on the EKG, we can't catch them. I know this is off the topic of conversation butwho cares...An update on what my cadio said...if we can't get into a normal sinus rhythem, I might have to go see an electrophysiologist and have them shock me into a normal sinus rhythem. Just thought I would let y'all know.
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I will go OFF base to get it.
Joy

When you buy otc, get the store brand - same thing, different price, you know.

My bro had cardioversion, ordered by his EP. All he seemed to suffer from it was a sunburn on his chest and he was shocked back into rhythm that has stayed constant for nearly 2 yrs now.

hi joy!
please let us know what the doc says about the holter reading, we'd love to know.
joey was cardioverted a few years prior to his surgery and doesn't remember a thing. he didn't even have any marks or anything on his body from it (they used the lowest voltage).
there is another member here, bobm (bob), who had his ross procedure done a few months ago and we spoke on the phone several times, since he was using dr. stelzer too. he had gone into afib after his ross procedure too and was put on amiodarone too, but needed to be cardioverted as well. from what he told me, it took them several tries and he did get a "sunburn".
i think you'll be fine if they need to do the cardioversion. it can be very effective from what everyone here has said.
wishing you all the best.
-be well, sylvia

baby aspirin by prescription

baby aspirin by prescription

Joy,
I hope your rhythm problems get resolved easily and quickly. My son went through this, and I know how uncomfortable and irritating it was for him.

I think I know why your pharmacy (on the base, I assume) is requiring a prescription for baby aspirin, even though it is normally an otc drug. There tend to be a lot of children on bases, and the term "baby aspirin" has really become a misnomer for the 81 mg dose, since physicians do not recommend aspirin for children anymore due to the fear of Reye's Syndrome, which is potentially fatal. For those not familiar with the link between aspirin and Reye's Syndrome, I have included the following link:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC000/9339/11059/210324.html?d=dmtHealthAZ

Best,
John

Joy,

Maybe it has to do with the fact its military.

I bought a 3-pack of St. Joseph 81mg. adult low strength aspirin at cvs pharmacy off the shelf. Its flavored and chewable. My Dr. said he takes one a day at evening meal, so that it will be easy on his stomach. So of course I do the same. don't have a stomach problem, but don't want to invite trouble.
well, take it easy:cool:

Back