B type natriuretic peptide?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambriz

We just went in for the cardiac follow up appt. The doctor ordered the B TYPE NATRIURETIC PEPTIDE test and his result was 256. I'm looking online and a bit freaked out. Heart failure? wtf? I wish the doctor had explained what he was looking for in this test instead of me going to the results and seeing heart failure on the page. I'm searching the board but not finding any posts about this test yet.

Someone help me calm down please.:eek2:

If you've been searching this on the internet, then I'm sure you've come across this chart (http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/labtests/bnp.aspx) on Cleveland Clinic's website that lists where those numbers fall. His number isn't even in the mild category yet, it just shows that heart failure is present. I think a lot of people on here have had some degree of heart failure before and/or after their surgeries. I wouldn't be worried at this point with that number if I were you.

Kim

Yeah, I found a thread here and read some more on the net and finally calmed myself down a bit. Thanks :)

No worries. When I went in the hospital with A-fib my BNP was in the 700s. I did have CHF symptoms and was freaked out at the time, but now I'm much better several weeks later. Doc said it was from the surgery and would get better with time.

This is why I'm so thankful for this forum. It really helps me to get things into perspective quickly. I really knew/know nothing about CHF except having an idea that once it starts it just gets worse, so seeing that he had any heart failure present had me really nervous. How often should he have this BNP retested?

Ambriz,
My cardio has never ordered a BNP test, but my primary Doc is enamored with testing me over time. My numbers were pretty high prior to surgery and a little elevated after, but now after 3 years post op they are low and normal. Be aware that BNP can change rapidly and may not be the best indicator of heart health, except in some general sense.

My primary doc also suggested that I take D-Ribose prior to exercise to improve BNP. People with high BNP often have low D-ribose levels. Do a search under Google scholar and you may find some professional papers that have been published about the possible relationship of D-ribose deficiencies and high BNP levels. Be cautious of the quack vitamin sites that discuss D-ribose as a miracle cure.

If I recall correctly, D-ribose is critical in the synthesis of ATP/ADP which are co-enzymes necessary for transporting chemical energy within the cells.
Best,
John

Last edited:
Back