AVS from Radiation Treatments?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

Hello All

A week ago I had the first cardio consult of my life. I walked out in a daze with a diagnosis of AVS.

I'd turned up with a murmur in '99 which my doctor thought may have been related to a brief flirtation with Redux in '97. I had an echo done at that time and was told that the problems were "not medically significant" and that I should get on the excercise bandwagon. Echo was to be repeated in 2 years.

On Dec 28 last I had a regular physical which included an EKG and the followup echo. EKG showed a left bundle branch block and the echo showed moderate / severe Aortic Valve Stenosis.

I'm currently on Beta Blocker to try to slow my heart down, I've had a rapid heart rate for 20+ years. It appears to be working. I don't go back to the cardio until Feb 21st, but he says he needs to focus on settling my heart down before we talk about when to do the valve replacement surgery.

He believes the valve damage is caused by radiation treatments that I had for Hodgkin's disease as a 21 yr. old back in 1980. Has anyone here ever heard of this?

As an aside, I've been lurking here for the past week, working up my nerve to post. It's great to see people helping each other out like this, when my surgery day comes I'll be better equipped by what I've read here.

Johnny

Hi Johnny, Welcome

Hi Johnny, Welcome

As you know now from having read recent posts, this is a terrific site. You'll be so glad you found it.

I'm so sorry that you find yourself is this position, but there are fixes available. It sounds as if you have some very caring medical help, that's so impostant.

As you come closer to the surgical date, you will find that you'll need support from people who've been there, done that. My husband and I have found that in our daily lives, the people we meet and even relatives, have no knowledge or heart valve surgery and have no way to relate to our situation. Here, everyone understands and you will feel comfortable.

We'll hold your cyber hand as you go on this journey. You'll find lots of people who will be by your side. So feel free to ask lots of questions. We hope to see you here often.

Take care

I just wanted to add a quick "hello! and welcome!".......the folks on this board have an incredible amount of first hand knowledge of heart valve surgery/problems etc. You will find the knowledge comforting.
So, when you find yourself on the board, lurking on a daily basis, don't feel that you are alone. I've been at the forum almost daily since June, when my husband was diagnosed with needing double valve surgery.
We are all rooting for you! - Marybeth

Yes, radiation can damage the valves

Yes, radiation can damage the valves

Johnny,

Welcome aboard, you will find most of the information that you are looking for in this forum and don't be afraid to ask your cardiologist all the questions that concern you.

Yes, it is known that children or teens who received spinal radiation, chest radiation (Hodgkin?s, non-Hodgkin?s lymphoma), left flank (Wilms), or radiation directly to the heart are possibly at risk. Modern radiation techniques using lower total doses, hyperfractionation (smaller doses more often), and cardiac shielding are less likely to cause damage.

Radiation can damage the valves in the heart, especially the two valves on the left side of the heart (mitral and aortic). Radiation therapy can result in scarring around the heart, the mammary artery, and even the coronary arteries, making the surgery more difficult, and increasing the risk of wound complications.

Jack.

Hi, Johnny!

Hi, Johnny!

Welcome Johnny although I know you would rather not be needing to be here. Isn't it nice that the doctors inform you of the side effects of treatment. I had a bicuspid AV so might have had problems anyway, but when I started having real problems, my oncologist said "Oh, the one med you were on during chemo might have hastened it along..." Of course, what was the alternative?!

Anyway, the good part is that once you do have the surgery, but will start feeling better and better. It is terrifying, but very routine to good surgeons.

Good luck and come back and let us help you through this period which is truly the worst part...the fear...after surgery it is good...we call it the other side of the mountain.

welcome

welcome

Hi Johnny.
welcome, not long ago I was in your position,Waiting
but with the help of this fantastic group you will sail through it,

for every question you ask you will get an honest reply
and you will get support at every stage of your treatment

You have found the BEST heart site on the net

Keep Smiling
Jan

Hi Johnny

You'll find alot of information here that will be of comfort as you go through your journey. I have yet to have surgery, it's scheduled for April 8th.

It's good to see someone from my hometown here. Take care.

Chris.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi Johnny!

I'll just add my voice to the coir and bid you welcome :) !

It's never fun to come from the doctor with this type of news but you will be OK! Here you'll find many people that have come up the mountain of heart surgery and made it down the other side, new and improved ;) ! Your head is probably brimming with gozillion questions and none of them are too stupid to ask.

ALl my best,

/Jessica :D

Thanks for the kind words all!

My cardio upped my Metoprolol to 2 x 25 mg per day...my heart seems to be slowing down nicely. That's good news, especially since I seem to be tolerating it OK.

Glad to hear the radiation damage issue is known..I've found little about it on the net in fairly extensive searching.

Johnny

hi johnny!
welcome to this site. i'm glad to hear that your heart rate seems to be slowing down a bit. it's good to have you among us. this is a truly wonderful site with supportive, caring and warm people to help everyone along their way.
please keep coming and let us know how you're doing.
be well,
sylvia

Latest posts

Back