Avr surgery scheduled for Oct.25,2012. Requesting prayer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear surgery is over and recovery is now going forward. Sounds like quite the ordeal. Keep us posted on the recovery, hopefully this week she really shows progress. Prayers continue for recovery and continued healing. Godspeed

So glad to hear that the surgery is over. I hope you are getting some rest.
I too will continue prayers for Laurie's recovery. One day at a time...

Great news. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Don't forget to get as much rest as you can too. You have both been through a tough ordeal. Take care, thanks for the update.

Tom

Update: 10/2912

Update: 10/2912

Laurie underwent approximately a 9 hr surgery. We were finally able to briefly see her late that afternoon. She was hooked up to all these machines, including a breathing tube, some nitric oxide machine and a machine that worked with a balloon that was inserted into her heart. I'm sure you all can relate and know exactly which machines I'm referring to. She was heavily sedated so we said good night for now. The following morning, my kids and I were grateful we didn't receive any phone calls throughout the night. Friday morning we visited with Laurie, who was more alert, however, seemed very agitated and was complaining of the breathing tube. I felt so helpless, unable to help her. Due to her being very upset and agitated, the nurse increased her sedation medication. Laurie appeared to be stable and resting more comfortably.
Saturday, 10/27/12: we arrived at 9:00 am and found Laurie to be much more alert and responsive. She was able to communicate with us by writing on a pad. She expressed her dislike of the breathing tube and was thirty. The doctors then informed us that they were satisfied and happy with her numbers, therefore, they were planning on removing the machine with the balloon. As a result, they had to increase the sedation medication to remove this. I noticed the pulmonary hypertension numbers prior to the surgery were in the mid to high 90's now the were in the 40-50 range. I also noticed her BP prior to surgery was in the low 90's/70 now it's around 115/77. Anyway, getting very tired, going to bed. My children are leaving tomorrow. Gonna miss them. Thank you all for the concern/support. Till the next time.

10/29/12: Laurie continues to improve. This morning she was much more alert. They are trying to wean her off the sedation medication so that she can be more responsive and breath more on her own. They have removed 2 machines. She is down to only the breathing machine, which they are trying to wean her off that possibly today or tomorrow, depending on her numbers. The important thing is that she continues to improve with no setbacks. I'm so glad I came across this site. It's been so informative and comforting. Thank you all for your advice and continued support!!

It is great that she seems to be doing well. For the most part her condition is a lot more severe than most of us were. For instance the CHF concerns aren't that much of a concern for most. Breathing tubes usually can come out shortly after waking. Mention of VAD and heart transplants pre-surgery aren't too frequent, etc.

What is the ballon with a machine thing? Is that some type of VAD device?

From what you say, she seems to be doing well. I imagine she will see quite a big improvement from her pre-surgery condition as she recovers.

I was on balloon pump going into surgery and on it for a few days after my first heart surgery. My heart needed assistance and they insert the balloon pump same route as heart cath. One cannot sit up or bend leg while it is in or literally the balloon can 'pop'. That would not be a good thing. When they brought me to the OR, the technician who was charged with monitoring me while on the pump had to accompany me to the OR. When I woke and learned it was still in place, I wasn't particularly bothered by it. They kept me well sedated and it wasn't uncomfortable except I couldn't sit up. They carefully monitored what angle I had the head of my bed.

Bravo... so happy your Laurie's surgery seems to have gone very well. Each day she'll gain a bit more strength and you'll start to notice small improvements. Remember to take care of yourself during this time as she will really need your help when she comes home.

All best wishes.

Brother Ralph,

I just prayed for you, your wife, and your children. God bless you all, and I know this entire experience will be a testimony of the greatness of God. For His glory!

Ralph, just got caught up on your updates about Laurie. I am happy that she has gotten through the surgery and seems to be getting stronger and stronger each day. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Just keep faith in the Lord cause he would never bring you to a bump in the road without being right beside you to help you over. Sending huge hugs to you, Laurie and your entire family.

Latest posts

Back