AVR Surgery June 10th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ross,

I liked Janies suggestions. Flowers to the nurses station...! I bet that will get ya some sweet attention, and help with #3! I hated to be wokeup and checked in the wee hours of the morning. Putting you last on the list may give you somemore quality sleep time.

I will be putting those on my list if I ever have to go back in the hospital for any reason.

I had a pillow, and like everyone says, get one. It really should be concidered a neccessity. I already had a recliner in the room, so that helped. My wife spent almost all of her time with me, except for when I was in ICU, they only let her visit for 15 min every 2 hours. But, her parents somehow, found a back door to the ICU and dropped by for a visit. That was a laugh for all of us!

My wife also asked that friends not send flowers, they clutter the room real fast, then you have to cart them all out. Instead she asked that if they wanted to send something to send teddy bears. I had a room full, and I stil have them. The hospital is building a new childrens wing, and I am donating them to the new section when it is completed. There are a few that I want to keep though, Like the bouncing Tigger! Wooo Hooo Hooo hooo!

Well, as tigger would say,TTFN

Rob

Last edited:
hi ross!
i have very little to add to everyone's fabulous and thorough suggestions.....
some hospitals provide the "heart pillows", others don't. my dad got one from his hospital, but joey had to bring his own. you may want to make a call or ask the surgeon's office, so you don't take along any unnecessary "luggage".
the flowers to the nurse's station is a wonderful idea... we did that and they were soooo appreciative. also, when people sent baskets of food (nuts and dried fruit, muffins, cookies) we _joey had no appetite and i didn't want to be dragging dozens of muffins home_ also offered those to the nurses. they loved that because they left the basket out so that each shift could have some. they were very attentive and kind to begin with (ofcourse some nicer than others) , but maybe those goodies helped (if anything it showed them how appreciative we were of their attentiveness).
it helped joey a lot to have me there all the time, i helped change his pj's and helped make his bed, and take him around. basically, they loved having me there to do everything a private nurse would do...
one of the biggest plusses though, was that joey had no appetite and i was able to go across the street to the deli and food marts to get snacks and ice pops or whatever i thought he' d eat_ it helped a lot and that's how he started eating again... ice pops, crackers, soup, muffins/rolls, sandwiches. (he hated the hospital food)
if there's anything else we can do to help you or your wife, please let us know.
can't think of anything else right now...
oh, your glasses.... joey is blind without them and told the surgical team ahead of time that he wanted them put back on immediately after surgery so he wouldn't feel disoriented upon awakening. they were great about that and it was truly a big deal for him.
we will be here with you as long as you need us to...
all will be fine, you'll see.
God bless and be well,
sylvia

Ross

Ross

Well aren't we glad we asked ...I found that list of suggestions very helpful ....one question for the ladies ..what kind of pjs or nightdresses did you take ..em sorry Ross ...
Ross ..you are right ...no one "outside"has any real idea what heart surgery is like ..someone the other day said you must be looking forward to it ...12 weeks off work !!!....they seem to view it as a holiday ! GRRRRR!!!!! so this place is wonderful ...Thanks once again Hank !!!!
I hope you can take your wife Ross ...my Hubby is coming with me ..we have sorted out the kids ...and the two older ones are delighted to have been given some responsibility ...My youngest child is the most worried ...she is really scared I'm going to die ...it can be hard to reassure her without making promises I can't keep ..
anyway ...I'm watching you carefully Ross ...take care
Scottie

Hi Scottie and Ross

Hi Scottie and Ross

Well...you both have received very good suggestions. I'll be praying for the Best of medical care for you both and calm nerves beforehand!!!!

Now..about the PJ's..LOL! what??? ya don't like those lovely hospital gowns...LOL! I took light weight/soft Pj's..Be sure the top is not pullover..and the bottoms do not have elastic at the ankles. Guys or gals can take sweats for bottoms. A bedjacket for gals can be helpful to put on over your lovely hospital gown..HeeHee. They give you non-skid socks...but comfy slippers are nice to have. What you wear to the hospital can be worn home..so I'd say that choice should be very comfortable clothing. I wore sweats..found them to be cozy.

Take care...try not to worry to much...if you need help with that..ask your Doc..sometimes xanax or something similiar helps there. Laugh alot if possible..it's good for you, and you'll limit it after surgery for a bit...

Gabby, ain't I...*~*

Zipper/Joan

Hi Ross, I won't forget your surgery date because it is my birthday..I will be age 62 young..Today, I celebrate my 8th week post surgery..I wish you the best..I am so happy I found this web site..Everyone is so helpful. I know you will be just fine..Will remember to e-mail you in hospital...Bonnie

Thanks again everyone.

I don't know that there is any internet access at this hospital, but I'm sure going to check into it when I can.

My wifes employer is the next bump in the road. It turns out that she doesn't have enough hours in for family medical leave and likewise for any vacation time. If it's not one thing, it's another.
I don't know how this is going to work out just yet. All I can say is that they better be flexible.

Trying to find a recliner is fun also. I may have to break down and rent one or see if the Doc can do something for me along those lines.

Oh well, whatever doesn't get done, simply doesn't. I'm not going to drive myself crazy over it.

Ross, I never did use a recliner. Relied on pillows in bed for ease. If uneasy, I just got up, made coffee and watched TV but always slept in bed. You will find your own comfort spot (Janie, did you ever find your spot) and whatever makes you feel best is good. If your wife cannot come with you, not to worry, there's a team there who is in/out of your room all the time and you always have that little button to push. They will keep you very busy most of the time. And when you get home, you will find stuff in the fridge put there just for you during your hours by yourself and you will do just fine. God bless

Hi Ross-

Joe never used a recliner either. We have a soft sectional and he sat there quite a bit of the time, watching TV and dozing. If you can't find a recliner reasonably, maybe just get a foot stool or hassock to put your feet up on. It's better than dangling them down. By the way, when you're in the hospital, ask them for TEDs stockings. I think they're a big help, especially after surgery when you might have extra fluid. They're expensive so if insurance can pay for it, that's good.

I do so hope your wife can make some arrangements with her job. I'm sure it will be extremely hard for her and you too, if she can't be there with you. But you'll either be walking, going for xrays and stuff, being stuck with needles, eating, sleeping or otherwise being in la-la land anyway, so you'll have a very full plate.

I Hate Needles!!! Make em stop already. :D

Lyn has spoken with her employer and even though she hasn't got the necessary time in, they've agreed to let her have up to 4 weeks off. I know that's longer then necessary and we couldn't afford for her to be off that long anyway. At least I know I'll have a spokesperson on my behalf. When things go wrong with me, they really go wrong.

Our problem with furniture is that it's all ancient and low to the ground, not to mention practically destroyed by kids and cats. Once the boys move out, we are getting something new for a change. We've hung on to most of this stuff for 22 years and you can use your imagination to determine how decent this stuff is. I'll figure something out. Anything at home is better then the hospital bed!

I have a pair of those Jobst stockings around here somewhere. I had a heck of a time getting them on and they are the correct size or should I say were. If I need others, I'm sure they get them lined up for me.

Now, the only thing I need to do is, get someone to go in my place. :p

LOL! Ross...no volunteers, eh?

I didn't use a recliner...I learned to 'roll' on and off the bed..it worked at home and I was glad to be in my own bed. Lots of pillows really helped, too.

Take care,

Zipper

hi ross!
joey didn't use a recliner either. we had this chair that leaned back a bit and had a footstool. that was the important part, elevating his feet.
would you consider putting some pillows on the low chairs in order to elevate them a bit? also, tons and tons of pillows on the bed!
i think you get it, no? good luck and don't worry. it's easy to "make-shift" comfortable spots at home.
i think it's wonderful that your wife will be able to be with you for awhile. i remember it helping, mostly joey (to cheer him up, fend off calls, etc)
wishing you all the best. we'll be right here with you.
-sylvia

Hi Ross,

I hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best. You will be in my thoughts and prayers leading up to and following June 10th. I know you'll do fine. I had my brother-in-law bring up my recliner from the living room into my room and I never used it but it came in handy when people came to visit me, But one thing I did use and came in very handy was a bed wedge, I bought it at a local drug store for under $20 and it really helped the first couple of weeks. Good luck and you'll soon be on your way to recovery!

Hi Ross,
Thanks for the input on the Prednisone. My PCP just gave a prescription for 9 - 20 mg Prednisone (no refills) for some concern he had listening to my chest when I went to see him for a nasty head cold I caught 4 weeks after my surgery, have had for two weeks now, and still have. The MD is a cautious guy and I'm sure he won't let me abuse any medication. If the cold happened any sooner, I'm not sure I could have handled the coughing and sneezing.
I was so tensed up prior to my surgery that I told only immediate family about it since I was almost certain I would panic and run just prior to my scheduled surgery time and didn't want to look too foolish. I'm not sure what happened. I certainly did not find courage. I think that two or three days prior to my scheduled time, I just got tired of worrying about it and went into a mental mode of wanting to get it over with -- quick.
My sincere best wishes and prayers for your forthcoming adventure. You will do fine. Let me know how I can help. Your surgeon has an excellant reputation. And Cleveland Clinic certainly knows what it is doing in the heart department.
Don
AVR 4/12/2002; Dr. Cosgrove at Cleveland Clinic; bovine valve; doing well

Hey Nicole, thanks for adding a face to put with the writing. :)

Don, as long as it's a limited duration treatment with prednisone, you should be fine. They had me on High Dose 40-60mg once a day for 5 years. Some of those times, they were pumping it in through an I.V. to stop the lung bleeding. Needless to say, that's where my bone problems started. Once I had my hip replaced, they took me off of it and figure that it's turned against me and is no longer doing anything beneficial.

The hospital this time, is not going to be the Cleveland Clinic. I'm staying local. The surgeon however, is a transplant from Cleveland and jokes about being Dr. McCarthy's senior by 6 months. I like him. He's a straight forward, no holds barred, tell it like it is type of Doc, though sometimes I wish he wouldn't tell it like it is.

Prednizone

Prednizone

Hey Ross...I was just put on Prednizone...for 3 days..swelling in the neck/shoulder/trapezoid area.... read that short term would be ok..hmmm...don't like taking it...tried Vioxx...INR went goofy..Glad I have my home tesing ProTime now...I'll be watchin it closely!!!!

Zip

Go to bottom of this page, find thread options, click on it and select a category and it then go and it will bring up the categories or go to the top of the page - click on ValveReplacement.com Forums and the forums will come up. Select one of the subjects, click and it will bring up that category. Click on 'New thread" and it will open a space for you to type. When done scroll down and 'submit'. Then we'll all read it - or just post where you are and it will appear with all the 'view new posts' and we will find it. Don't worry, we'll get it. Welcome to VR. God bless:)

Last edited:
hey Ross!

hey Ross!

So are you having the "Ross" Procedure??!! hee hee hee hee (sorry!) :p

Well, you are pencilled in my book for special prayers on June 10th and beyond - and before too, for that matter! The worst will soon be over, and hopefully the surgery will be easy compared to all the waiting and worry. Hang in there, buddy!!

Regarding what to bring to the hospital: I was ready for anything, but hardly touched any of it (partly because I couldn't lug my bag out by myself!) But, in retrospect, I would pack less, and just take the following:

1) comfy clothes to wear home from the hospital (I wore TO the hospital the outfit that I planned to wear home, and brought some clean wears plus some spare wears)
2) notebook and pen to take notes as needed - VERY glad I had this.
3) toothbrush, toothpaste, DENTAL FLOSS!! (I am picky about my toothbrush, don't like it too hard, and I forgot floss, and they were out of it at the hospital, and I was going nuts until a nurse donated me some from her purse!)

This, really and truly, is all I needed.

Huggy pillows, given to me by friends, came in handy at home, for sleeping and when laughing too hard! But there was one for my use in the hospital. CD player was nice, but I didn't use it that much. All other toiletries were provided by the hospital, including a comb. Scottie: As far as gowns, robes, slippers: they gave me all that - a clean gown after my shower every day, a robe so there was no "flapping in the wind" when I was cruising the halls, white stockings to prevent clots, and little sockies with rubber grippies on the bottom. Granted, I wasn't looking my BEST during this time, but frankly, I didn't CARE where my mascara was! Phone numbers? They could call me. And Janie's idea of turning off the phone - I used that on various occasions, particularly when needing a nap. They will call back later!

I borrowed a recliner, have used it for a month now, but have been taking naps on the couch with a bunch of pillows. A few nights ago I couldn't get to sleep (in the recliner), and made the command decision to abandon it altogether in favor of the couch for night-time sleep as well. And tonight, I may just try the bed! I mean, the recliner is nice for keeping me on my back with my chest flat so I don't smush it up during sleep, and for keeping me propped up for easier breathing and easier getting up and down. But, with the couch, I can sort of sleep on my side easier.... If you can get a recliner, I certainly think it would help during the first few weeks, but if not, get a bunch of pillows, head for the couch, and you'll be okay!

Anyway, Ross, you go man! You'll be fine, you'll be just fine, and we're all with you here. And you too, Scottie!!!!

-Jennie

....but I wanted to go stag?

Nancy and I discussed this and I'm wondering if I'm seen streaking (Not running mind you) down the hallways, maybe they'll let me leave sooner. :D

Not to worry, Ross - they won't let you out til they are ready - besides, everybody else is flapping up and down the halls - it even gets crowded at times and you are too busy watching your step to bother even looking at any of them. LOL

Latest posts

Back