AVR-Resurgery-which valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

brendamarlene

I had AVR 14 1/2 years ago with homograft to replace congenital bicuspid aortic valve by Dr. Pacifico at UAB. Now, at age 57, I am "near" to needing resurgery due to increasing stenosis. Dr. Pacifico suggested mechanical this time to (hopefully) reduce need for resurgery a third time.

Cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic suggested bovine pericardial. Have not spoken with any surgeon at Cleveland Clinic.

I am now debating whether to go back to my original surgeon in Alabama or go to Cleveland Clinic.

Anyone have any experience with replacing homograft in aorta?

I am now 57 and I love to downhill ski, bike, and do aerobics

I just recently had Avr surgery at UAB by Dr.Pacifico.I had a mechanical valve put in. I am 41 years old and in pretty good condition health wise. The big decision is what type of valve that you want to put back in and for me it was a mechanical valve because of my age and from what I have been told is that the mechanical will potentially last a life time vs a tissue valve that may have to be replaced 10-15 years down the road.I went with the mechanical because of those two options which I think will work the best for me and also was worried about the possibility that a tissue valve might need to be replaced at some point again in my life time ,which just makes me quiver everytime I think about having another surgery as I get older. You are already aware of how DR.Pacifico is and the quality of care that you get at UAB but then again a second opion from another doctor can't hurt anything.Just remember to follow you own gut instinct and make the best possible decision for you and your particular circumstances and I hope everything works out for you whatever decision that you make ...GOOD Luck!

Latest posts

Back