AVR date set for April 27th!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks1490

After 5 years in the "waiting room", my date is set for April 27th. Still wavering on valve choice, but other than that I am remarkably calm about the whole thing. I'm sure the panic will come last minute!! Thanks to everyone for the advice over the years.

Hope you stay calm. You should. This surgery is remarkably safe. I was very calm even though I never had any symptoms and felt that the diagnosis must be wrong somehow and I must be part of some cruel psychological experiment. I expected that at the last minute someone would pop in the room and reveal the hoax being played on me. When I awoke after the surgery I had zero pain and never required any pain pills at all. Further evidence I thought that I had been hoodwinked somehow. Anyway, no need to be nervous. The surgery has become routine.

Congratulations on getting your date. That becomes a very important milestone -- the start of a new life. As Bill says, you should do fine. We'll be with you in spirit and offering support in any way we can. Best wishes for as stress-free a waiting period as possible, and smooth sailing thereafter. All best....

I found once I got my date I calmed down because that waiting period in the "unknown zone" was over. Five years of waiting is a long time! I had AVR last year, my husband is getting his valve replaced in the next couple of months, my family doctor had it done last fall, and I had lunch with a woman a few weeks ago who had it done last August! The recovery takes awhile, but everyone is FINE and better off than they were before.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and recovery!

KS, after the months or years of uncertainty, I think finally learning the date, meeting the surgeon and having practical preparations to make help resolve a lot of anxiety many of us find a sense of calmness so it isn't just you. Things will probably go better than you expect but it never hurts to be reminded that while valve replacement is definitely major surgery it produces wonderful results. Right now, calm is good. We make much better decisions when we are calm. Let us know how we can help.

Larry

I'm scheduled to join the zipper club a day before you. My BAV was diagnosed 33 years ago, but after a bacterial infection, an enlarged aorta, decreasing ejection fraction, and a regurgitating valve, it's time to address these issues.

Good luck to us both!

Scott

Latest posts

Back