Avapro

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

So yesterday I was at Hopkins for a baseline CT-Scan of my whole aorta. The good news is that my aorta's measurements are all within the range of normal.

I received a prescription for the blood pressure medication, Avapro, that is supposed to have a prophylactic effect by blocking receptors in the vascular tissue that cause the tissue to dilate. I've asked about this before, but my one concern about being on the medication is that it is very speculative. It seems without doing anything the rest of my aorta may likely be fine, but there is always a chance that it could dilate at other places because they still don't understand connective tissue disorders fully. There is no way to predict whether I am one of the very few who would have aneurysms develop farther down the line or whether I am one where the rest of the aorta is normal. I am not sure if that makes sense.

But it was interesting that the PA I was taking too had never seen a BAV who had an aortic root replacement develop an aneurysm farther up the aorta. This of course begs the question: why should I bother with the medication if the likelihood of anything happening is so slim? It does seem like the medication is well-tolerated, but I was curious of the brain trusts' (you all) answers.

I am going to fill it and try it out, but I still am a bit concerned about taking a drug that very well may not be necessary. Of course if it saves me from aortic dilation then I guess it will be worth it. But there is no way of knowing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. You've given me food for thought.

Micardis was what I was put on several months after valve replacement and it eventually began causing me noticeable cumulative issues, when its primary side effects gradually occurred. I was surprised at how very unwell the Micardis eventually made me feel.

I complained to my cardio's office and was switched to Avapro about a year and a half ago (evidently without the cardio's knowledge, though I didn't know it at the time) and that med issue is one of the things I want to ask my cardio about during my next annual later this summer.

I'm not sure I like it. My aortic gradient had sky-rocketed during the year of half-Micardis and half-Avapro, though I don't know why, nor do I know if it could be connected with the med changes in any way. (I hope that could be just an echo tech error -- sometimes I'm a real ostrich with my head in the sand.)

Plus, and this is petty and doesn't matter at all in the scheme of things, but the Avapro is about the nastiest tasting pill I've ever had to swallow. Really icky!

Lily,

What is the aortic gradient?
Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_valve_stenosis has a definition.

But I think you meant my specific gradient? My peak was 70 and mean was 38, compared to 40 and 27 the year before (it was found as a "significant" increase) while the aortic valve area was roughly the same size both years, although the valve itself is now considered "abnormal." (Happy thought. I'm thinking along the lines of Young Frankenstein's "Abbey Normal.")

I really don't know what it all means and hope it could be as simple as an echo technician's error. Frankly, I was just happy to escape with another annual appointment scheduled, rather than the ominous need for more frequent cardio visits. One other thing though, I do think my cardio has done, and will continue to do, his best for me; I trust him.

How are you doing? Aren't those nasty-tasting pills? Or did you try them? I'm planning on asking my cardio if I can just go back to some simple hypertensive med, like I took pre-op, like Diovan, with which I had no recognizable issues. I don't want these things that cause upper respiratory infections and mineral imbalances and such, if I don't have to have them.

Edit - After some research I see that Diovan too is in the same family of medications.

It was interesting because the P.A. told me she didn't know of anyone with BAV who had had an aortic root aneurysm who had developed an aneurysm further up the aorta.

Back