Attenenol and blood pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hello all, again!

I have another question for you valvers out their who are taking attenenol.

My husbands BP has been runiing 95/65 or so for the four months he has been on this beta blocker.

For the past week or so, he has looked really "red" when I have come home from work. His blood pressure is now 125/65 ish, prior to taking his second dose of beta blocker late in the day. (he takes 50mg in the morning and 25 at night).

Comments anyone? Why the change in BP??

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth,

I have been on Atenolol for almost 2 years now. I take a 50 mg pill each morning, My BP stays around 73 / 120's usually. And many times it would be 112/73 or between 112 - 120 / 73 - 84
I don't worried if it gets up alittle. There have been times when it gets up around 131 or 139. I monitor regularly, and chart the results. I also make comments about the day. I have found that Stress from work or other issues usually cause my BP to be elivated, and that on the weekends, it is usually at it's lowest levels. Figures... out of the office and home relaxing!

If it goes over 140 I would be concerned. 120/80 is concidered optimal for a normal person not on medication. 140 and above is concidered High.

I would ask his cardiologist the question you posted. Afterall, his doctor knows what range he wants him in, and should be notified if he is not maintaining his BP within that range.

Keep us posted,

Rob

That sounds like normal blood pressure to me even though it is higher than usual for him. Even when I was on Atenolol, my blood pressure would be around 150/80. Of course, mine has been high since I was in high school, even when I weighed 110 pounds. In my case, it's heriditary.

I'm on Accupril now instead of Atenolol, because Atenolol made me tired all the time and caused me to gain weight, and my blood pressure is around 130/75. I also had more PACs when I was on Atenolol, which is strange since some people take it to prevent these.

Latest posts

Back