Atrial Flutter use of the Maze/ Ablation proceedures?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnM

Atrial Flutter use of Maze/ Ablation proceedures?

I have atrial flutter and am interested in the Maze/Ablation proceedure. Does anyone have any background info on this?

Which medics appear to be expert in this area and have a good track records?

johnM said:
Atrial Flutter use of Maze/ Ablation proceedures?

I have atrial flutter and am interested in the Maze/Ablation proceedure. Does anyone have any background info on this?

Which medics appear to be expert in this area and have a good track records?

Not all surgeons perform the Maze Procedure. You will probably need to go to a Major Heart Center or find an isolated surgeon who does this.

You didn't provide a location so I assume by asking who performs these procedures that you are willing to travel anywhere.

The 'high risk' surgeon I consulated at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (ranked #13 for Heart Procedures), Dr. McGiffin, gave me a handout on the Maze procedure. I know that UAB also performs ablations.

'AL Capshaw'

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I am in England. A country definately, definately to avoid if you get sick! I was not thinking of having anything done in the Uk as the private medical sector is built on the rotton carcass of the National Health System. Maybee Germany. I have always liked the open transparency of US medicine.
Following a heart attack 5 years ago. I had 4 years in sinus following a cardioversion. I have now developed flutter (as against Fribulation). I am being anticoagulated with Sinthrome/Nicoumalone/Acenocoumarol ( appears to be known under all 3 names) - warfarin made me feel extremely unwell when I reached an INR of around 1.8. I take the Beta blocker Sotolol 80mg X2 = 160 mg daily. My pulse on waking is around 60 and during the day remains around 80. I don't appear to suffer any great disadvantages. However, I would like to drop the anticoagulation and the sotolol. I am more or less totally ignorant as to what is available and indeed pertinent to my condition. Naturally the least invasive and cheapest would find the most favour.

John M wrote: "Naturally the least invasive and cheapest would find the most favour."

Then you probably don't want the MAZE procedure, unless you have Open Heart Surgery as that is the only way to do it to my knowledge.

Some forms of ablation can be done by catheter so that may be your 'least invasive' option.

In either case, do more research because I am by no means an expert or knowledgable recipient of either procedure.

FWIW, I also take Sotalol (40mg X2/day) for Atrial Fibrilation although my symptoms have disappeared over the last couple of months and nothing happens if/when I miss a dose.

Good Luck in your quest for knowledge and understanding.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back