Atrial Fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I developed a-fib after my last OHS and it lasted for about 2 months. It came back periodically but always went away. 2 years ago it came back and never went away.

I had a few turns of this in the very early days/weeks after surgery., mine seemed to be brought on by anxiety...it has already gone and not returned, and hopefully it will stay gone!

MANY of us experience A-Fib after surgery.

I had A-Fib while still in the hospital (delayed release a few days), followed by a few random events out to 6 weeks or so. Each event seemed to last about 3 hours, regardless of how it was treated (even doing NOTHING).
Eventually they just went away (with a low dose of Sotalol a.k.a. Betapace)

'AL Capshaw'

Hello,

I had 1 day of A-Fib the day after surgery. Then 5 yrs later, I now flip into A-fib and A-flutter on occasion.. Most of the time I can bring myself out of it, but ther have been a few times that I have had to go to the ER to have if brought back to normal.

Regards,
Bob

Hi, Joe...

I had A-Fib presurgery and elected to go with the RF ablation (Maze) while having the valve job. Post surgery the A-Fib was completely gone for about a week and then it came back. My surgeon had told me that it takes about 6 months for the RF ablation to take hold. Once it showed up again at one week post op my cardiologist was so negative. "It didn't work."

I'm happy to report that at the six month echo check it was finally and completely gone as verified by the cardiologist.

I've heard that developing some A-Fib post op is not uncommon but generally goes away over time. The heart does something akin to what a puppy does when it's afraid... ie suffers bouts of random quivering. Give it time, Joe.

Jerry

me too

me too

I had some afib about two weeks after my 3rd surgery. It would come and go and then last December it wouldn't go away so I had to go to the er and they converted me. It then would come and go and never last more than 20 seconds and then again in June it came and wouldn't go away again. Now I am on a new beta blocker :( I know I am going to have another heart surgery to replace the aortic valve so I am hopeing they will do the maze then and maybe then I won't have to take the beta blocker anymore. Jerry I am glad to hear of your results of the maze and I bet you are too.

hi,
joey went into afib 4 days post-surgery. they gave him betapace/sotalol, but it did not work. they put him on amiodarone and it did the trick. he is now still on a very small dose of amiodarone, without which he goes in and out of afib once in awhile. i find it usually happens when he is under tremendous emotional stress or upset. he does manage to convert to sinus rhythm on his own. (a strong bike ride or run usually gets him out of afib if it doesn't happen on its own).
take care,
sylvia

Lots of good info

Lots of good info

Thanks for all your input. It really helps. I had "maze" done. I didn't know that that was the name for it, just knew RF ablation. I kind of figured that the heart is just going through fits trying to heal. Thanks a again.

RF Ablation

RF Ablation

I don't know what the statistics are for successful RF ablation performed during OHS but my surgeon was pretty positive about it's success. Since I trusted him implicitly I was a bit put off by the cardiologist's negativity. Boy was he surprised when I was in complete sinus rhythm during the last echo and then in the follow up visits. I can remember discussing the ablation with my surgeon about 4 days after surgery. His knowing smile and the two thumbs up were all the assurance I needed.

Just wait it out, Joe. I suspect that you'll be quite pleased.

Jerry

I had periodic bouts with A-fib for years after my two OHS. It started during my pregnancy with our twins after my mitral repair and before the replacement. Over the course of 15 plus years, I went through all the drugs for it. Some worked for quite a while (Tambacor). Eventually though, ran out of meds that would work, so I had an A-V node ablation. I had a permanent pacemaker implanted at the same time because this surgery leaves you pacemaker dependant. This is not the Maze procedure. From what I understand, I still have the a-fib, but I can't feel it:confused: . I'm sure someone who really understands how this works can explain it. My doctor has tried and I understand parts of it. Anyway, it's one of the best things that I did. I'm not implying that this is going to happen to you, but if it doesn't go away, there are ways to treat it. LINDA

A-Fib

A-Fib

I was in atrial fibrillation after my firs surgery. I can't tell you for how long since I was still out of it. I had to have my heart shocked and that worked and to my knowledge it is still working.

Barbara

Another maze story

Another maze story

Joe,
I developed A-fib when I had surgery for renal cell cancer (kidney) 3 1/2 years ago. I was put on amiodarone (works for some but horrible side effects) for two years but it eventually affected my liver and never did stop the A-fib. I also had two cardioversions but they didn't last either.

When I needed a mitral valve repair I had the maze done at the same time. Aug. 5th was my 1 yr anniversary for that. Before the cancer surgery I had a pacemaker implanted. The point of all this is when I had my pacer interrogated in April I had had 3200 episodes of A-fib/flutter from January. Yesterday I saw the St Jude rep. and in the last 3 months I had only 35. So she said it has taken the full year (they had estimated 6 mo. to 1 yr.) to develop the scar tissue from the maze. She said they want you to be free from A-fib for 1 year before they will take you off warfarin.

Sometimes it takes a long time before we see the fruit of our labors!

Latest posts

Back