Assessing Mitral Valve Area: Planimetery vs. PHT (Pressure Half-Time) Methods

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

Can anyone explain for me, if you will, the difference of assessing the Mitral Valve Area in Mitral Stenosis via the planimetry vs. the pressure half-time method and why there is such a variance between these two values? It's my understanding that a normal MVA is between 4 -6cm2 and that when reduced to 2cm2 "hemodynamically" significant mitral stenosis occurs. Anyway, most of my echo post repair the MVA was assessed using the pressure half-time method and the values have been insignificant at 2.42, 4.99, 2.74, 3.1, 2.86...however, those echos which used the planimetry method show a markedly considerable difference in MVA of 1.7, 1.6, with the latest being 1.3. The other values used to assess MS severity; such as, MPG (8-16), PAP 62-78) and PCWP (28) are consistent with a more moderate to severe stenosis...as are my symptoms. Why such a difference in these values and which one is most accurate? Thanks for shedding some light here cuz I'm just plain confused! :confused2:

Hi Dee,

I don't have an answer for you, but if you are so inclined to do some reading on this, there is a section in the GUIDELINES AND STANDARDS - Recommendations for Evaluation of Prosthetic Valves With Echocardiography and Doppler.

There is a section on ultrasound/doppler parameters of prosthetic mitral valve function.

Here is the link in pdf: http://www.asecho.org/files/public/PVText.pdf

Hope this helps and you get some answers!

Hi Dee,

I don't have an answer for you, but if you are so inclined to do some reading on this, there is a section in the GUIDELINES AND STANDARDS - Recommendations for Evaluation of Prosthetic Valves With Echocardiography and Doppler.

There is a section on ultrasound/doppler parameters of prosthetic mitral valve function.

Here is the link in pdf: http://www.asecho.org/files/public/PVText.pdf

Hope this helps and you get some answers!

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Back