Are there others?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cool

I took the forms for the Inratio to my cardio and he said that there are other msachines and he wants to check and see which machine is the most accurate. I didn't know there were any other machines than the ones that QAS offers. Comments?

There is only one other that is available right now in the US - the Protime. I don't think there is any difference from an accuracy standpoint. The good thing about the INRatio is it requires less blood, is very portable and I think the supplies are less expensive.

Gina is right. For now it's just the ProTime and the INRatio. I have had both and the INRatio is the best, hands down, from a user point of view. They've changed the look of the ProTime but it is still 3 times the size of the INRatio and has an internal battery. The INRatio uses AA batteries. It still uses the little cup thingy that you must collect your blood in and then put it in the machine. I was glad to have my ProTime for 4 years, but the INRatio is such a treat to operate.

My cardio has an INRatio for INR tests in her office and her staff loves it too. They had a Coagucheck previously. Coagucheck is coming out with an INRatio-type smaller machine, but it's not available in the US yet.

You may want to send Hemosense Brendan a PM and ask him for some assistance on convincing your cardio.

When I applied for mine over a year ago, the INRatio was not even listed. The insurance company's form had six of the OLD machines listed to check off the one desired. My cardio had never had anyone self-test but was OK with the idea. I just added a box for the INRatio and checked it off, he signed it, and after the run around, it got approved.
Yes, Gina is correct. The INRatio is the only unit approved for home testing use in the US.

jeffp said:
The INRatio is the only unit approved for home testing use in the US.

I thought the ProTime was still also sold for home testing?

jeffp said:
The INRatio is the only unit approved for home testing use in the US.

Of the two newer unit between the CoaguChek and the INRatio. Sorry about the poor wording to previous posting refernces. My bad :(

Approved monitors

Approved monitors

Hello:

To clear up any confusion there are actually three monitors that have
been approved for patient self testing. The Hemosense INRatio, the ITC Protime, and the Roche Coaguchek. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Sincerely,
David Vaughn
QAS
800-298-4515 x2614

When I talked to Roche 2 weeks ago I was told that the CoaguChek S and the XS are still not FDA approved for self testing in the USA.
Has that changed?

I have the Protime Microcoagulation System and have been using it for over an year. It has been great. I have done lab testing within an hour of when I do it and the results are very similar and in some cases exactly the same. I send the result to my cardiologists office per "My Chart" and they send the dosing changes back to me with a few hours. What I am wondering is whether anyone has been given a dosing tables and allowed to do your own dosing without going through the coumadin clinic or MD office.

Many of us do our own dosing. My cardiologist is very agreeable to my doing my own dosing. She knows that if I run into problems I'll call her. If diabetics can manage their own insulin dosing, we certainly can.

We have a wonderful anticoagulation expert as a member here. Al Lodwick has his own site that you'll want to go to and bookmark. www.warfarinfo.com He has charts there that you can order.

Welcome to our little forum! Tell us about yourself.

Home monitoring of INR

Home monitoring of INR

You asked me to share some things about myself. I developed sudden onset of rapid atrial fibrillation in Jan of 2003.l An echo showed severe mitral valve regurgitation. I started coumadin at that time. I had a mitral valve replacement in May of 03 , carbomediic mechanical valve implanted. At the time of surgery, I developed a tachy/brady arrhythmia and had to have a pacemaker implanted. After surgery, I never did very well. I had symptoms of heart failure, multiple episodes of atrial flutter/fibrillation etc. After complaining vigorously for about nine months, I underwent further diagnostic tests and learned that there was something wrong with my implanted valve. I underwent another mitral valve replacement and did well for about three months and then had increase symtoms of heart failure. An echo done at that time showed that I had an ejection fraction of 30%. I then started all the heart failure drugs and was eligible for the biventricular pacemaker upgrade. I was evaluated further for nonsustained ventricular tachycardia and ended up with an ICD as well. They had already done the AV node ablation for the persistent uncontrolled Atrial Fibrillation. After all of this, I have progressively improved. I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day and some days are very difficult. I work full time and have a couple of additional part time jobs. I am very independent and did not like being required to do frequent lab draws. I was able to get a meter approved. For my insurance, I needed to demonstrate that I was out of range about 50% of the time and had a mechanical valve and took 8 plus prescription drugs. This meter has been wonderful for me. I enjoy the independence. I do not do self dosing and would like to learn and start doing that. The only way I can get a table is to order it???? Are dosing tables available anywhere on the internet?

QAS David. Has the CoaguChek XS been approved in the US for home testing?
Also....wondering when supplies (i.e. test strips) for the original models will be available again?

Latest posts

Back