Are mechanical valves affected by magnetic objects nearby, or by MRI's?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATDOG

I read a brief article about Ipad2 having magnets that could affect brain shunt settings when in close proximity. So now I'm wondering if there are any magnet problems with mechanical valves. Can the leaflet function be attracted/affected by magnetic sources?

Short answer: No. The valves are not affected by MRI, or by nearby magnets. The material itself has the peculiar property of being (if I recall correctly) 'retromagnetic'. You can take a sheet of pyrolytic carbon and levitate it with some good strong magnets, but the haemodynamic forces which operate the flaps are much stronger than any magnetic effect could be.

That's what I read too - but Skyler's cardiologist will not give MRIs to patients with prosthetic valves. He says that there's "metal beneath the outer carbon"

I have a St. Jude MV made of pyrolytic carbon and have had two MRI's so far. Yes, the MRI techs freak out a little not knowing themselves if it is safe, but with the right paper work they complete the tests.

Back