aortic valve replacement by catheter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyllis

New Procedure done in Michigan on Thursday:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 15, 2005
A Promising Recovery After a New Aortic Valve Procedure
By BARNABY J. FEDER

team of cardiologists in Michigan has implanted an artificial heart valve in a 76-year-old man by feeding the device through a vein in his left leg instead of opening his chest and stopping his heart.

The patient, Fernando Giangrande, had the three-hour procedure on Thursday, left the hospital on Sunday and was back at work yesterday customizing vintage cars at his Ford dealership. Replacement of the valve through open-heart surgery normally requires a week in the hospital and a longer total recovery time, assuming the patient was deemed strong enough to have the surgery in the first place.

The experimental implant was the first of at least 150 that federal regulators will require before considering approval of the technique for widespread use. But medical experts say the procedure could eventually extend the lives of many people who are too frail or ill to endure open-heart surgery. Failing valves are diagnosed in tens of thousands of Americans each year, and that number is expected to grow as baby boomers pass the age of 70.

"It's a miracle," Mr. Giangrande said on Sunday evening after returning home from William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, a northern suburb of Detroit. He recalled that two years ago, surgeons in Port Huron, Mich., told him there was nothing they could safely do to counter the progression of his heart disease.

The procedure replaces the aortic valve, which keeps blood from flowing backward into the heart. The doctors at Beaumont, who will describe the procedure today at a news conference, encountered several snags.

Medical experts warn that even if the technique is mastered, the heart repairs may not last as long as those achieved through conventional surgery.

Mr. Giangrande's doctor, Dr. William W. O'Neill, the chief of cardiology at Beaumont, said that in its current form, the technique is a last resort. "People who are good candidates for open-heart surgery should not even look into this," he said in a brief interview immediately after the procedure.

Long-term durability has been hard to gauge so far because the only candidates for the technique in this country and abroad have been so gravely ill that some have died during the procedure. Many others survived only a few days or months, even though the new valve was functioning.

In the only previous attempt of the procedure in this country, performed in September 2003 by Dr. O'Neill, the patient died within five days. And in Europe, where cardiologists have been experimenting with the approach for three years, only 3 of the more than 40 patients have survived for more than a year.

The complexity of the procedure is also a reminder of why many innovations that improve individual health tend to drive up overall health care spending. Open-heart replacement of the aortic valve typically costs more than $50,000. Although the new technique may shorten hospital stays, it may ultimately prove more costly.

Edwards Lifesciences, the company that makes the valve and the tools to install it, says the products may cost $10,000 to $12,000 per procedure. That is roughly double what Edwards and its competitors charge for surgically implanted aortic valves and the related equipment.

And so the device, if successfully developed for the commercial market, is likely to become another topic in the simmering debate about how much society can afford to invest in extending life.

The new procedure also reflects the progress being made by minimally invasive practices in technology-driven fields like cardiac surgery. The trend toward intravenous delivery of artery-opening balloons and stents that prevent blockages from recurring has contributed to a 20 percent decline in heart bypass surgeries in the United States in recent years.

Mr. Giangrande's new aortic valve consists of tissue from the outer wall of a horse's heart sewn to the interior of a large stent, which is a cylindrical mesh of stainless steel. To deliver the device, the doctors attached it to the tip of a plastic catheter and compressed it to the width of a pencil. They inserted the catheter into the large femoral vein in Mr. Giangrande's left thigh and threaded it through the vessel toward his heart.

When the device reached the entrance to his aorta, the doctors inflated a balloon at the end of the catheter to expand the valve and embed the stent in the calcified rim of his old valve.

After receiving his grim prognosis from the doctors in Port Huron two years ago, and getting a similar second opinion, Mr. Giangrande said he had become too weak to walk. He told his wife, Kathy, "If this is old age, let's get it over with."

A 5-foot-10-inch bear of a man who has used the name Fred Grande since starting kindergarten, Mr. Giangrande received a pacemaker in 1999 and has weighed as much as 350 pounds. In late 2003, he sought the advice of Dr. O'Neill, a pioneer in numerous catheter-based therapies. Dr. O'Neill got Mr. Giangrande back on his feet by conducting extensive angioplasty, a procedure that inflates balloons inside constricted vessels to widen them, and inserting coronary stents to keep the vessels propped open.

Stents, though, could not treat Mr. Giangrande's diseased aortic valve, which was barely functioning because of hardened fat deposits, a condition called stenosis.

The heart has four valves controlling the flow of blood through the heart, and the most common malfunction involves the mitral valve, the third in the pathway. The new technique has focused on stenosis of the aortic valve, the on-ramp to the body's circulatory system, because it accounts for roughly 80 percent of the more than 15,000 deaths each year attributed primarily to valve disease, according to the American Heart Association. But doctors and medical equipment analysts say that variations on the technique could someday be used instead of surgery to replace or repair any of the heart's valves.

Edwards Lifesciences, based in Irvine, Calif., hopes to complete enough tests here and overseas to gain approval to sell the devices in Europe as early as next year and in the United States by the end of 2007. The company, spun out of Baxter International four years ago, is currently the leading manufacturer of surgically installed heart valves.

In addition to the catheter-based delivery of aortic valves, Edwards is working on a similar approach to repairing damaged mitral valves.

Researchers in Europe led by Dr. Philipp Bonhoeffer, chief of cardiology at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, have used catheters to replace pulmonary valves, which prevent blood being pumped to the lungs from flowing backward.

Because pulmonary valve defects are often congenital, many of Dr. Bonhoeffer's 75 test patients have been children. The pulmonary valve is much smaller and easier to insert, he said, and no deaths have been linked to its installation. Working with the valve's maker, Medtronic, a Minneapolis company, Dr. Bonhoeffer hopes to begin F.D.A.-approved trials in this country within a year.

Dr. O'Neill said the type of device inserted in Mr. Giangrande still needed substantial refinement to have any chance of becoming widely used. He said Edwards Lifesciences was working on an approach that would allow the valve to be inserted directly through the aorta, which would avoid threading the catheter through the heart.

In Mr. Giangrande's case, the procedure required three cardiologists and a large support team.

The first effort to deploy the valve failed when it became jammed in a passageway the team made through a wall in Mr. Giangrande's heart. When Dr. O'Neill tried to pull it back, the balloon inside the valve inflated. Unable to go forward, the team spent 30 minutes scrambling to move the valve back down the large vein that runs up the spine. They pinned it into the wall of the vessel just above his kidneys, where it is expected to have no impact on blood flow. A second artificial valve was attached to the catheter and, ultimately, successfully installed.

"We didn't catch a break anywhere," Dr. O'Neill said.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections | RSS | Help | Back to Top

Wow

Wow

That is pretty amazing! I can't even imagine what kinds of advances will have been made in the next twenty years!

Very nice article. I just had a Bovine Pericardial Aortic Valve put in 5 weeks ago. Great news for me in 15-20 years when I need a replacement. :D

Me Too!

Me Too!

Something to look forward to if my bovine fails in the future. I've already had 3 caths. Sounds like it wouldn't be too much worse. Thanks for posting, Phyllis.

Randy

From: http://www.beaumonthospitals.com/pls/portal30/cportal30.story_page1?l_recent=524

The article on the Beaumont Hospitals site has some photos as well...

Beaumont Treats First U.S. Patient in Trial of New Heart Valve Implanted Without Open-heart Surgery

Cardiologists at William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich., today announced they have treated the first U.S. patient in a new clinical trial of a heart valve implanted without open-heart surgery.

On March 10, doctors inserted a new aortic heart valve in a 76-year-old man from Casco, Mich., through a procedure performed in a cardiac catheterization lab without having to open the patient's chest and stop his heart, as in traditional open-heart valve surgery.

Dr. Alain Cribier of France (far left), inventor of the Cribier-Edwards aortic heart valve, watches as the Beaumont team treats the first patient in the U.S. clinical trial. The Beaumont team (left to right) included Dr. Amr Abbas, Dr. George Hanzel, Dr. William O'Neill and Dr. Theodore Schreiber.

The experimental procedure marks the launch of a research study approved by the Food and Drug Administration in January to assess a breakthrough technology that could save the lives of thousands of people with heart valve disease who have no other treatment options.

"This experimental procedure may offer hope to seriously ill, high-risk patients who are not candidates for traditional open-heart surgery," says William O'Neill, M.D., Beaumont's chief of Cardiovascular Disease and principal investigator of the U.S. multi-center trial called REVIVAL. "If proven successful through our research, it could revolutionize the way heart-valve disease is treated for some patients, especially for those who are too sick to have open-heart surgery."

The procedure, known as percutaneous (or "through the skin") heart valve replacement, utilizes the Cribier-Edwards aortic heart valve, a technology being developed by Edwards Lifesciences Corporation of Irvine, Calif., that was invented by Alain Cribier, M.D., chief of Cardiology, University Hospital in Rouen, France. Dr. Cribier was present at the March 10 procedure at Beaumont, performed by Dr. O'Neill together with cardiologists Theodore Schreiber, M.D., and George Hanzel, M.D.

Aortic Heart Valve Implanted Without Open-Heart Surgery
FACT SHEET: Cribier-Edwards Percutaneous Aortic Heart Valve
FACT SHEET: Percutaneous vs. Surgical Heart Valve Replacement
Video clip of the procedure performed at Beaumont
More video from the Royal Oak Cath Lab
Dr. William O'Neill explains the procedure's benefits
Animation of the valve replacement procedure
Percutaneous Heart Valve Replacement Slide Show
Stock Photos

During the procedure, the replacement tissue valve is compressed to about the diameter of a pencil in size, then is threaded through a patient's circulatory system into the heart via a catheter (a thin tube) that has been inserted into the patient's leg. The valve is positioned within the patient's existing aortic valve and expanded by a balloon to about the diameter of a quarter. This secures the replacement valve into place and pushes the diseased valve's leaflets against the aortic wall.

Unlike conventional valve-replacement surgery, the procedure can be performed on a beating heart under local anesthesia in about half the time (two hours vs four to six hours). Recovery time is also reduced from months to weeks and the risk of infection may be reduced.

Participation in the Beaumont phase one randomized research study of the experimental procedure is limited to 30 people with a documented history of heart valve disease who are too sick for open-heart valve surgery. For information on the study, call 248-898-4044.

The Cribier-Edwards percutaneous heart valve is crimped down to the diameter of a pencil onto a balloon catheter for insertion into the patient?s artery.
The aortic valve is one of four valves in the heart, each of which have two or three strong tissue flaps, or leaflets, that open and close with each heartbeat, about once every second. A healthy aortic valve opens wide to allow blood to be pumped from the heart to the rest of the body and closes tightly to prevent blood from flowing back into the heart. When the valve is diseased or damaged, it's unable to keep blood flowing freely. As a result, the heart must work harder and in time this can damage the heart's lower and upper chambers, leading to damage to the heart muscle, an enlarged heart, congestive heart failure or valvular regurgitation, in which blood is leaking back through a valve. Age-related narrowing of the aortic valve opening (called stenosis) may also occur over time, inhibiting blood flow and producing symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pain (angina), light-headedness or fainting. Left untreated, aortic valve disease can lead to death.

About 300,000 people worldwide have heart-valve repair or replacement surgery each year. There are many others who are not referred for treatment or who can't or won't have surgery.

When opened in the heart, the Cribier-Edwards heart valve is about the diameter of a quarter.
Non-surgical aortic heart-valve replacement has proven to be feasible through laboratory testing and through clinical trials in Europe. A European patient was the first in the world to undergo the procedure in 2002 and about 40 cases have been performed outside the U.S.

Beaumont is Michigan's, and one of the nation's, most experienced providers of heart care, ranking 16th on the U.S. News & World Report list of the "Top 50" hospitals for heart and heart surgery. The Beaumont Heart Center is a comprehensive, state-of-the-art facility thats dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart problems. Beaumont's Ministrelli Women's Heart Center is the first in Michigan devoted exclusively to the prevention, diagnosis, and research of heart disease in women. Visit Beaumont on the Web at www.beaumonthospitals.com.

pre AS surgery

pre AS surgery

Hi, I need my aortic valve replaced and I think when I meet my surgeon on Weds he will suggest a bovine valve. I have little pings or twinges of pain in my chest, my arms go to sleep or tingle and I have a little feeling of tightness in my chest as well as afluttering feeling to my heart and I can often feel my heartbeat in my arms. I guest this is ok. How did you feel before? Glad to hear of another sucessful op.
Best wishes,
Pam in Maine
Tucsonmoovalve said:
Very nice article. I just had a Bovine Pericardial Aortic Valve put in 5 weeks ago. Great news for me in 15-20 years when I need a replacement. :D

Latest posts

Back