Aortic Valve Replace. in 12 hrs......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oscar61

Hi all,

First I want to say it has been a while since I've written or posted. I was first diagnosed in May of '04 with Aortic Regurgitation. At that time, my cardiologist had given my a "best guest estimate" thta based on my condition and my numbers that I would "most likely need the replacement within 12 months". Well here we are, almost 3 years later....I'm 32 now.

When I had first found out about my condition I of course did the natural searching all over to find out as much information as I could about my condition, and that is when I came upon this site. I initially made a number of posts and questions, all of which were received and answered with caring and love. For this I was and am extremely greatfull! But, I think I may of over did it....obsessing about my condition caused me a high level of anxiety and even a few panic attacks along the way. Hence, I decided to take a break from the posting. I would pop in every so often and see some familair names and read about some new ones.

Well I'm back now to let you all know that my surgery is actually scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM (here on the east coast). I'd be lying a little if I didn't say there are a lot of emotions that are involved with it. To be completely honest for the most part I'm a no nonsense type of person and take things as they come (some times better than others :) ) When I found it was time for my surgery about a month ago I just thought "ok, here it is. I knew it was going to be sooner or later and now we're at that point". I have felt pretty much the same way since then. I think anyone in their right mind at some point thinks about that 1% or less "am I going to wake up' as we all put it. But as many have said, in almost all of those cases it's the extreme elderly, out of shape, other complications or issues the mostly figure into those numbers. And thats the mindset I'm going into this with. I actually just got engaged a few days before I found out that surgery was going to be needed (my luck of course....I warned my fiancee that life with me wouldn't be easy ahead of time:D ), and to be honest, I am so much happier that I'm in this position than if it were her ( I know that initially doesn't sound right...please read on :) ) What I mean is I think in a lot of ways it is tougher on the loved ones. They feel it's completely out of their hands and that they are helpless to a certain extent until they get that good news when your surgeon comes out. It can't be easy for her, although she has been positive through this whole thing and at least up to this point hasn't shed a tear. I'm sure she'll have her nervous time during those few hours tomorrow though.

I just wanted to stop in and say hello to all the ones who are out there waiting and wish them nothing but the best. Stick with positive thoughts and how much this will make your life better in the log run. And to the ones who have been their and done that, A big thank you for all your words of support, positive thoughts, and prayers. Hopefully you will all be hearing from me in a short period of time to let you know what a breaze it was (ha, ha) Until then, much love.......

Jay

Jay,

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. I hope your surgery turns out to be "boring".

Godspeed.

wishing you successful surgery and a smooth, uneventful recovery. Of course, you'll do fine.

I understand what you meant by loved ones having a hard time through all of our heart issues.

Congratulations on your engagement..... Once you get your surgery behind you, you can look forward to all wonderful things in your life with your fiance.

Please let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it. Maybe she can post for you to let us know you're doing well.

Jay,
You sound as though you're well prepared.
God Bless and Godspeed
Mary

Jay,
I look forward to hearing how well your surgery went. I hope you have a smooth recovery!

Best wishes, Jay. I put you on the calendar for tomorrow and look forward to hearing that all went well. You have a great attitude and will do fine.

Hi Jay,
Another New Yorker here wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Congratulations on your engagement.

Rachelle

Jay - hope you gave your fiance a little advance notice.:D ;)

I will be praying for a very successful surgery for you tomorrow.

Jay--I'm so glad I happened to stop in and see your name! Wishing you all the best today. We are out here rooting for you!

It's all over by now--hope it was uneventful and "boring". Use that incentive sprirometer and walk walk walk. Hope you have someone updating the board so we don't worry too much!

Brief update for everyone who had a kind word to say. Surgery still not done!! Actually got cancelled!! Showed up the morning of my procedure at the hospital at 6:30 AM....got undressed, put into a bed...sat there for w hrs with my fiancee. Nurse finally approaches me and says that she "thinks" my surgery is going to be cancelled fue to "lack of staff, lack of bed, etc", all due to a major snowstor we had here in the northeast. Needless to say I was furious!

As much as I understand some things are out of ppls control, I NEVER should have received a call at 4 PM the previous day saying that we were all set and reasy to go for the enxt morning. Now i'm scheduled for 7:30 AM Monday...here we go again!!!!!

Im so sorry that you had this experience..how awful for you and your family. At least you know theres ''NOBODY TAKING ANY CHANCES THERE'' so your in good hands. Very Best Wishes for tomorrow.

:eek: So sorry this happened to you, Jay. As if there is not enough stress, right? I changed your date on the calendar to Monday. Godspeed and we look forward to hearing that all was a success.

Oh! That's rough! Another Valver here just got postponed also. And, although it was for a different reason, it must be extremely difficult and in many ways. Sorry. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow, Oscar. Weekends can have much less staff for personal care in a hospital anyway, so maybe they did you a favor?

Jay,

Sorry to hear this news and I will pray that all goes well Monday and you are soon past all this.

Godspeed again.

Latest posts

Back