Aortic valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your decision seems logical to me , probably because I had many of the same thoughts 2 years ago. As mentioned I would inquire about the potential aneurysm as that would cause a need for a reop and negate the whole purpose of choosing a mechanical valve. I wouldn't agree that a repair is signing up for a definite reop although it would be more likely. It makes sense to me that a repaired valve that had severe regurgitation pre repair would be more likely to need to eventually fail than one with little leakage. This was something I tried to drill down on with my surgeon. I had trace but high velocity leakage and his opinion was that the overall condition of the valve meant the repair would have a better chance of lasting a long time or maybe going the distance. As you said techniques are improving and the one that was used on me came about in 2004 so its hard to say anything regarding long term . I also wonder if the fact that I have a graft ( root, ascending and hemi arch ) would a reop be more difficult? Would they sew a mechanical valve in my graft or just replace the graft with a valve already in it.
As you said it's a personal decision and conditions of the valve, your concerns compared to others all weigh in and I wouldn't worry about long posts. Nobody is forced to read them.

Latest posts

Back