Aortic Replacement Stories

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartweave

So glad to have found this site. I was reticent to read the stories. I thought I was going to read horror stories but instead most of them are inspiring stories of success with a wonderful life following.

My question is....what kind of problems can one expect and what is the stats for the problems?

I have a bicuspid aorta, now a stenosis 0.7cm with pressure gradient 54mm/32mm, and refractory ejection 60-65%. Can someone address these numbers? I am on a steep learning curve as my illusion of "oh i won't need surgery for another 15 years" has been shattered. I am calming down, mostly due to this forum, and embracing the fact I will need surgery fairly soon.

I told everyone "oh I don't have symptoms, I am fine and in the best shape of my life" and have slowly come to realize I do have periodic palpitations which have gotten worse.

I won't go over my story again as it is on other threads.

I don't need to hear only the horror stories of horrible outcomes but I want to be realistic. What are the possibilities of stroke? Cardiac Failure? Arthythmia? What kind of precautions should I take? Cardio rehab? Medications? Pacemaker? What post op equipment should I get for home? I am concerned about congestion, pneumonia, cough, following surgery. Can someone address this?

Realistically how soon will I be up and walking? Traveling? Feeling normal?
What is normal?

How long were you on antibiotics? Lasix? Beta Block ?

What kind of post op symptoms did you have? When did they subside? How are you feeling 6 months out? 3 years? Etc.

Thank you everyone for all your kind energy as I walk down this path

xoxo
Leah

.............as I walk down this path

xoxo
Leah

Whow....slow down Leah. You've asked a lot of "what if" questions that may, or may not, become a part of own story. You can't deal with this all at once.....like the old saying, "eat the elephant one bite at a time". Most of us will tell you that this surgery, while serious, is not a life changer....and life afterwards is pretty normal. Most of your questions I can answer..."never had THAT problem", while I have dealt with the rest of them..."with LITTLE problem". Welcome, you will find this forum very helpful.

I can only tell you my experience but it should be a place to start. I'm sure others have different experiences.

Realistically how soon will I be up and walking?

I had surgery on Friday evening. Walked 1/2 mile on Saturday afternoon. Left the hospital on Tuesday (after a very minor glitch - I pass out regularly and have since I was a teenager, the surgeon wanted to keep track of me for an extra day after I unexpectedly passed out)

Returned to work on Thursday (I went into my office, slept in chair/recliner, and talked my my secretary). The surgeon noted that I would not probably be happy at home and suggested the recliner. I mostly slept the first two weeks.

Traveling?
I travel a lot and it took me 6 weeks before I traveled at all. And it wasn't comfortable.
I returned to full travel schedule in about 4-5 months with a 2 week trip to rural west Africa.

Feeling normal?
6 months for me.

What is normal?
Same as before - maybe

The incentive spirometer that you'll start using after surgery will help get your lungs opened up and lower the chance of pneumonia. It'll be your companion for a few weeks.

The surgical risk overall is low. Lower than your risk of not having surgery and ending up with permanent heart problems. Yes - you could have a stroke. The surgical team does this every day. It's a big deal for us and another day at the office for them.

Some of the nodes that control heart rhythm/rate are near the aortic valve. Many will have some arrhythmia post-surgery. For most, this 'self-corrects' soon. The amiodarone and beta blockers that you'll be on the first few days help with this. Yes, some have longer lasting arrhythmia.

You'll have some time to consider cardiac rehab after surgery. Some like it, some don't. You can search the forum for details.

Equipment at home: I bought a walker, which I never used. I did use a cane a bit outside the home. I didn't really need it, but it made me feel more secure. Nothing else other than that. We did talk about a shower chair, but I didn't need it. You can always just use a plastic lawn chair. You really don't want to fall in the bathroom (or anywhere else).

I was able to lay flat and sleep, but some could not. I'd look at your options, maybe sleeping in a recliner?

You'll be walking the day after surgery with help. Unassisted with a walker before you're discharged. You'll be told to walk twice a day at home.

Beta-blockers are commonly prescribed. There's evidence that they do reduce mortality.

You'll feel surprisingly good after a month. Then it just gets better and better.

You're in the tough pre-surgery time. You'll get through it. We all did. Hang in there. It'll all work out.

Latest posts

Back