Aortic Dissection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shari

Hi Friends,

I have a question for those of you who had an aortic dissection. (FYI - my 38 year old husband had a type A aortic dissection and a St. Jude valve put in on 5/25 during emergency surgery.) What kinds of physical restrictions do you have as far as exercising and things like that? He will be starting cardiac rehab shortly - he's going for a stress test on 9/4 and after that he'll be able to start. The cardiologist who will be overseeing his rehab commented that my husband will never be able to undertake strenuous workouts or running because of the nature of his operation/repair. Is that the usual case? I know from talking with RobThatsMe that his doctor told him he couldn't lift anything over 65 pounds. Anyone else have any type of limits? Thanks for the input.

Shari

In 89 I had an ascending aortic aneurism of 6 and had it and the valve repaired/replaced. Luckily,
the aneurism was found before it dissected. Your
husband is incredibly lucky!! The best of recoveries to him.
Anyway, I had no restrictions after I recovered the 1st time. I did step arobics, and weight training. Cardiologist told be I didn't have to be the arobics queen! when I complained that I couldn't use 2 risers with the step anymore or my
heartrate went up too high.
In 00 I had the porcine valve replaced, they had to go in thru the dacron graft and resew it.
After my recovery period I was told to go back and exercise, and I could do what I did before, the surgeon didn't restrict me on how much to lift.
(Maybe because I'm thin and a woman?)
I would listen to your body and don't overdo.
I am now 12 years older and can only do the step with no risers after this surgery and my heart rate goes up to where it needs to be for my workout.
Gail

Hi Shari,

The reason my doctor has me on those restrictions is due to the nature of the dissection. They can not tell my what caused it, other than it was a congenital defect, a type of connective tissue disorder. Therefore, since they don't know the exact reason, and since it involved connective tissue disorder, they want to limit the pressure that is put on my circulartory system, and have place those restrictions on me.

I feel and know that I can lift more,,, but I never really know what is going on .. on the inside.. so... I live by the doctors restrictions for the most part.

Rob

Latest posts

Back