Aortic Aneurysm?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hsilvers

Hello everyone,

As I await my surgery for an aortic valve replacement sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, a cat-scan being done for some other purposes showed that I have an ascending aortic (I almost typed erotic) aneurysm of about 5.5 cm.

I don't recall any other postings regarding this and wonder what implications this may have for the surgical procedure, choice of valve, time on the heart-lung machine, effects on recovery, etc..

Has anyone had any direct experience or knowledge they can contribute?

I am a young 57, with a severe calcifed stenosis, and in relatively good shape on other accounts, and thank all of you for the tremendous amount I have learned from this site so far.

Harvey

Hi Harvey,

I had an ascending aortic aneurysm which dissected. I required immediate emergency surgery, and they only gave me odds of 3 to 6 % chance survival. ( I didn't know that... they told my wife and also told her to say her good-byes as they wheeled me into emergency surgery).

Well, I am still here today, almost 3 years later. I woke up from surgery with a mechanical St Judes Aortic valve and 4 inches of gortex to fix the aueurysm / dissection.

The good news for you is; that you seem to have discovered yours in time. This greatly improves your postive result of successful surgery.

There is another support site that has some good folks that have had either an aneurysm or dissection. You may want to visit it. The site is mainly for narratives from people who have had these illnesses. You can write to the site monitor, Bill Maples, and he will forward your questions to the group. You will get privite e-mail from members in response to your questions.

The site address is:

http://www.westga.edu/~wmaples/aneurysm.html

My narrative is also posted there.

http://www.westga.edu/~wmaples/dunn.html

I have some good information on this, and if you have any questions that I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Wishing you good health,

Rob

Hi, I too have had an AA, like Rob said, the good news is they know about it now. I had my AA repaired in June of 2002 and just recently went under the "knife" again to replace my valve. (3/7/03). Since you are already at 5.5 cm, I would see about getting this repaired when they do your valve, complicated surgery; but better than going back in, "who knows when"? Take care.

Hi Harvey!

Hi Harvey!

I had an aortic anuerysm along with a dissection and prolapsed aortic valve. I won't go into all the details, too long. You can read my story here on the site. I am 34 years old. They found my aa and dissection while trying to figure out why I had the prolapsed valve. Needless to say, the aa and dissection caused the valve problem. I had surgery where they gave me a mechanical st. judes and also repaired the anuerysm and dissection by replacing that part of the aorta with a graft. It is good news that they know about the anuerysm. It's the things that you aren't aware that are much more dangerous to deal with. Once you know you have the problem, you just become very proactive when it comes to your health. Your doc and surgeon will discuss your options with you. Just make sure that you are happy with the treatment you are getting. It never hurts to get second opinions.

Take Care & Good Luck!
Gail

I went into the hospital in December of 1999 for what was supposed to be an aortic valve replacement. After the valve was replaced, they removed the cross-clamp from the ascending aorta and weaned me off the bypass machine. At that point, the aorta began to leak at the clamp site. The surgeon told me later that they could have stopped the bleeding and closed me up but opted to put me back on bypass and put on a patch over the weakened area. He described the area as "string" so I suppose that meant it was breaking down and would have presented a future problem even if it was "ok" at the time of the operation.

After my recovery, I asked my internist to refer me to a radiologist for a sonogram of the abdominal aorta even though the odds of having a problem there were small. That test was negative but I'm glad the 2nd repair was made while I was already on the table for the valve replacement.

Your replies are appreciated

Your replies are appreciated

Thanks Rob, Hensylee, Mike, Gail, Kirsonron, and James,

Knowing what you have already went through helps greatly. The latest work I received is that I am moving up the list with surgery likely in about 3 weeks.

The disadvantage of the Canadian system is the waits that occur in the system. The advantage is that in my experience the quality of care has been excellent - and virtually no direct cost. Fortunately, or unfortunately - there are few people in Canada who can say that they went into the Health Care profession here for the money!

Based upon your feedback and some others - it seems that almost everyone who has had the aneurysm winds up with the mechanical valve. Is that true?

Just out of curiousity - I would be interested in what has been the ultiomate out of pocket cost for people who have gone through with valve replacement.

Thanks, again for all your feedback.

Harvey

;)

I just had a Bovine Tissue Valve put in. After talking with the doctors this was best for me. Since I just went thru my second operation in nine months, I know I made the right decision. I'm not looking forward to the third, but it won't be that bad and who knows what they will be able to do in 20 years.

I had surgery to repair an aortic aneurism and received a porcine valve in '89.
Mine was repaired then with dacron and it didn't involve the coronary arteries, hence just the graft and valve.
Mine was at 6 when discovered.
I was 34 and when the surgeon went to handle the aorta to repair it, it fell apart in his hands. So, he took out that portion instead of just cutting it open and inserting the graft and encircling it again with the aortic tissue, which was his first option before it fell apart. The aorta grows thru and around the new graft in about 2 yrs.
My porcine valve began to leak 11 years later and I now have a mechanical.
Gail

Aneurysms and valve repair/replacement...

Aneurysms and valve repair/replacement...

Do most people who have an aortic aneurysm have to have the vavle replaced too?? Is this because they didn't find the aneurysm sooner?

Not always Rain, but in my case, they should have replaced it while they were in there. Of course, they didn't and we all know what that meant for me this last July.

Hi Rain,

Aneurysms can occur on several regions; Thoractic, Abdomenal, Pelvic and Brain. IF the aneurysm in the Thoractic region also damages the aortic heart valve, they will replace or repair it. Sometimes , as Ross mentioned, they may repair it, just because they were working in the same area on the aneurysm, and the valve was also in need of repair.

Yup.. Spring is here.... and tomrrow green beer!

Rob

Hi Rain,
In my case, the asending aortic aneurism had stretched my aortic valve and it was leaking, my heart was enlarged due to extra work of pumping this regurgitated blood.
The strange thing is, I went to many doctors and none heard a murmur. Finally found a good one who did, and she saved my life!Gail

Hi Rain!

Hi Rain!

In my case, they found the leaky aortic valve first. They later discovered the dissection caused the leaky valve and then an anuerysm occured after the dissection. They needed to go in and fix up the whole thing.

Take Care!
Gail

Hi Harvey, not sure I can add much to what has already been stated, but in June of 2001 I had an ascending aneursym repaired. The valve was a judgment call on the surgeon as the first choice was to leave the original or repair, if possible. But, he thought my enlarged aorta had stretched the valve too much to take a chance, so the second choice was a homograft (tissue valve from a human). The thought was that it was going to last 15 or 20 years. Since I was 45 at the time, that seemed ok to me. The homograft comes with a piece of aorta for the root and then they added some dacron to that to replace the anuerysm. They had been monitoring me for about 10 years and when I got to the 5.5 stage, they started talking about surgery. My time on the pump was extended because they decided that the upper end of the repair was too close to the aortic arch to handle without freezing me to death basically. They bring your body temperature down until the brain signals are gone and then they do the repair and warm you back up. I think that added some time.

My replacement valve developed a leak after 18 months and I just had a valve replacement in January of 2003. Because we weren't sure why the tissue valve had failed and to try and avoid another surgery, we used a St. Judes mechanical this time. I like the fact that I hopefully won't have to have another valve surgery, but I also wish the tissue had lasted. It didn't require the meds and didn't click. I've only had it a couple of months and they tell me I will get used to it, but it is noticable to me. But, I'm sensitive to noises anyway. They had to use a different drug on the pump as I developed a reaction to the Hepron they use on the bypass. But, that worked out fine and recovery from both surgeries was not too bad. Praising God for those blessings. The biggest problem from the first surgery was that I developed a blood clot in my leg from the Hepron reaction. That set me back a couple of weeks on rehap.

Unless they have a reason not to do it, I think it would be a good idea to have the aneursym/dilation/enlargement (whichever term you hear). I was told that most surgeries are done between 5 and 6 CM. My surgeon thought that the 5.5 range was the best risk to benefit and recovery range. I think mine was like 6.4 when we actually did the surgery. But, I'm not real sure that was an accurate measurement. I would be concerned that it wouldn't be that far down the road before they would have to operate on the aneursym. But, you'll have to see how they want to proceed. If they decide they need to wait, subsequent surgeries are not that bad (less is still better).

I don't think that having an aneursysm requires a difference in valve selection, probably does add time on the pump, I don't think it would affect recovery, does make the surgery more complex, but mine went well. I didn't have the stenosis.

I've got to quit writing these long replies.

Dano - don't worry about the length of your reply as far as I am concerned. I do appreciate the details.

My aneurysm is about 5.5 cm and an ascending one, while my aortic stenosis is now at about .7 cm.

I am still on a waiting list for surgery and heard on Friday that I have moved up close to the top and will likely be called in during the next three weeks. According to the nurse list manager I spoke with - she had consulted with the surgeons, and the aneurysm does not really affect my place on the list.

I do have the shortness of breath when I exert myself and also find that I need a couple pillows to sleep confortably. I am not allowed to shovel snow (hallelujah!) but still do go to the gym for some cycling and weights at a reduced level about 2-3 times a week.

The way it works here - I won't even know who my surgeon is until they give me a specific date, and then I will meet him or her. We do have the option of choosing a specific one - but this does have the effect of prolonging your wait for a slot.

Once I meet the surgeon - then I plan to discuss with them the choice of valve. What this web site has done is to clarify for me that whatever choice I or the Surgeon finally make - the end result is highly liveable without a drastic change in lifestyle or activities. That, in itself, is a huge relief.

The word I have from a variety of medical professionals in our area is that the 8-10 cardiac surgeons within our local hospital (a regional centre for cardiac surgery) are all excellent.

The major reason now for a waiting list appears to be the number of intensive care beds and support staff that are available. Medical resources are not unlimited, and unfortunately demand is now exceeding supply.

My guess is that the movement of the baby boomers into the cardiac care generation has now begun, and demands will rise sharply in the next 10 years.

Harvey

The details

The details

I have a son who will need this surgery... I appreciate the details. It's amazing what you learn reading other people's posts.

Thanks for sharing.

Hsilvers,

I don't know if you know this, but Dr. David Tirone who is from Canada, I believe Ontario(not sure how far from you), but he is the one who pioneered the aortic valve sparing; therefore now called the David Procedure. This has to do with saving the aortic valve when you have a ascending aortic aneurysm. . I know there are other people on this site who have actually sent him an e-mail and he responded. Anyway just thought I would pass this on.

Mike,

Thanks for the information about the David procedure. However, given that I already have a severely calcified valve with a .7mm stenosis, my guess is that I will soon be getting a new valve.

I just found out that my surgeon is Dr. Idris Ali, and I go in for the new installation very early this coming Wednesday morning. I'll meet the surgeon for the first time on Tuesday - and then discuss the best valve option.

Harvey

Latest posts

Back