Aorta Aneurysm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeard

Hello, all,

I have been a member of the forum since November 2013. I was diagnosed , unexpectably, last August , after a strenuous hiking vacation to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I felt terrible out there, I actually thought I was having a heart attack.

Anyway, I have had several diagnostic tests, and my BV and AA (4.2), have been diagnosed. I have gotten a second opinion from a surgeon in a big heart center...not CC, but it I feel good about him.

My question is this . My echos since august 2013 have showed no change in my aneurysm. That is what I am most worried about. Question coming!

I am having some weird heart pounding, I just started taking a bAby aspirin Dailey, per my cardiologist,

When your heart starts beating hard, and different, even when the doctor isn't concerned, Is this a new concern?

Are there any symptoms of a aortic aneurysm rupturing other than instant death.? Is anyone here a survivor of an aortic aneurysm rupturing?

I don't think there is anything subtle about your aorta rupturing. My AA is about 4.1. They say they grow 1mm per year, in those with BAV. So the chances of yours rupturing now are pretty low, anyway.

My heart pounds as well sometimes, it always has. But since finding out I have BAV whenever it happens I'm like 'it's time'.

Try not to fret

Thanks Agian. I am trying not to worry too much. I appreciate your response. Weird feelings, but you know from this forum that the surgery is formidable. Doable, but tough.

Symptoms of aortic aneurysm prior to rupture or dissection are quite rare (I've seen upper back pain mentioned). I think the stress of living with one is more likely to cause symptoms than the aneurysm itself. I had no symptoms and mine measured 5.1cm. I know personally it's easier said than done, but try not to stress about it. The aorta can stretch quite a ways before it really gets dangerous.

i was diagnosed (after a car accident) with a ascending aorta aneurysm 6.0 cm. never felt any symptoms at all.

i had my surgery two months after they found it. replaced my aortic valve (on-x mechanical) and put a graft in.

all that was just over a year ago (oct 16th 2013) at the ripe age of 27.

i never seemed to notice issues with my heart or had symptoms, but once they tell you somethings wrong, it makes you over think. as i still do now. but I am still ticking along. and the docs say all is well. [h=2][/h]

I felt "weird heart pounding" when I was in the hospital post-op. It was like a violent palpitation under my left collarbone, not the usual soft double-beat palpitations I was used to for years. (Those were kind of like when you're startled and your heart jumps.) They turned out to be very short bursts of a-fib. After a week it started again and lasted plenty long enough for them to do an ECG and diagnose it.

If it keeps happening and you don't think it's a regular palpitation, ask again. You're probably fine, but there's nothing wrong with asking if you don't feel right.

If your echoes over the past few years have shown no growth in size of aortic aneurysm, I would say that's good news. Doesn't eliminate the need for continued periodic monitoring, but it should ease your mind instead of troubling you. Mine was increasing rapidly in the months before my surgery, eventually reaching 5.5 on the day of surgery but I had no major symptoms All best to you…..I know it's hard being in the waiting room.

Mbeard,
I have an an aneurysm of 4.1 cm and have heart palpitations on and off.
I wore a holter monitor for 2 weeks which ruled out Afib. If you are concerned, you may want to ask your cardio about this test. It might help put your mind at ease.
To be honest, I try not to worry about this 4.1 cm as my understanding is doctors don't even look at dilation until 5 plus cm. Hope you get some peace of mind. :)

My aneurysm was diagnosed back in March and the size is 4.8 cm. Heading out the door in a couple minutes to get an echo to see how it's done over the summer . If it's grown at all I'm going to tell my surgeon when I see him November 18th that I want to get it over with even though supposedly I can wait until it's around 5.5 cm.

cldlhd;n849054 said:
My aneurysm was diagnosed back in March and the size is 4.8 cm. Heading out the door in a couple minutes to get an echo to see how it's done over the summer . If it's grown at all I'm going to tell my surgeon when I see him November 18th that I want to get it over with even though supposedly I can wait until it's around 5.5 cm.

Good idea. Always better to do it when you can rather than when you have to in my opinion. Gives you time to prepare.

Back