Anyone taking LOSARTAN?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobThatsMe

Hi gang,

My BP has been a bit high lately, (156/82 - 176/85) and my cardiologist has prescribed" Losartan".
This is in addition to my 100 mg of Atenelol twice a day, and 5 mg of Amlodapine.
I have read all the info from various sites regarding this medication, but I am more interested in personal experiences with this medication.
Is anyone taking it, and if so, what side effects are you experiencing? I am not sure that I want to take this drug. Perhaps there is another alternative.

I have never had HP before. This all seemed to have changed after my latest surgeries. (two aortic stents, and a dissection of the SMA).
It seems I have had more issues with these surgeries than with my other two open heart surgeries for my aortic valve replacements and aortic dissection.

Thanks for any info you may be able to share.

Rob

I have taken 100mg Losartan since Jan 2016. Prior to that(10+ yrs) I took 20mg Lisinopril. With botth meds my BP runs in 150s//60s and doctors(PCP and Cardio) are not concerned about the higher Systolic number. I seem to have a little more energy with the Losartin but that might be in my head.....and the Lisinopril dry cough seems to be gone.....altho I still have a drainage cough. I also take 25mg Atenelol. The reason my doc took me off Lisinopril was that my potassium levels had gone above the acceptable range and they have come back down under the Losartin. So far I have experienced no negative side effects that I am aware of.

Thanks for the info dick0236.
In my case, due to my dissections, the doctors want my BP much lower than it is now. Glad to hear you are not having any issues with taking Losartan.

Rob

I was on it prior to my surgery. I never had any issues. I was put on metropolal afterwards and still take it today.

Tom

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I shall give it a try and see if I have any issues from taking it.
Did you have to make any major dietary changes due to having to be on this medication?

Sorry to pollute this subject but just wanted to mention a funny anecdote about BP.

My father has had high blood pressure for 30 years and he was on medication for 20 years, without any bad side effects. He is more a city/country guy with military background.

2 years ago (he was 73), for the first time, he wanted to spend 3 months in the bush with me in the winter, during trapping season. No road access, no store, no restaurant for him. All we had for food was wild salmon that I fished dried and smoked in the summer, black bear that I shot and canned during the fall and vegetables that my wife canned. So it was frugal, quiet and peaceful ( for him mainly haha).

Well after those 3 months his blood pressure was normal and the doc could not believe it. He told him to stop taking his drugs and for the last 2 years, his BP has been normal normal. Now he can't wait to jump back with me in the bush when I am fully recovered and is hoping to die there.

Back