Any weight lifters here?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex,
My understanding is that heavy weightlifting causes an extreme increase in BP and that is why it is considered unsafe. Straining resulting from other activities such as vomiting or bowel movements does cause BP spikes but they are not nearly as drastic and not so dangerous. However, this is all speculation on my part...just what I've gathered from previous threads on this topic. Hopefully someone will correct me if this is totally off base.

alex c. said:
I'm reviving this thread as I just joined and have some lifting questions also. I have read several post talking about the 50lb limit. I'm 5'10, 178. My max bench was 320 and squat was 345. Right now I can press 2 plates total (135) about 25-27 times struggling at the end. Can I assume that I will at least be able to press that for 12-15 reps after surgery. I know its quite higher than the 50, or 70lb limit I've seen here, but I was doing it with a severely leaking valve and a moderately leaking valve. Since I found out the severity of my condition, I have stopped going to the gym. I am wondering if my condition now is worse than it should be after surgery, how could I still do this weight?

Prior to diagnosis and surgery, I had pretty bad SOB while running - and that's it. I never had a single symptom while weightlifting or doing any other intense resistance workouts. You hear the term that you need to "listen to your body" with regards to exercise and activity, but I'm not sure that applies to weightlifting. My body was telling me that things were just fine even as I was most likely doing more and more damage to it. Unfortunately, it seems like there is an extremely fine line between where activity is healthy and where it becomes harmful to a valve patient. Unfortunately (again), nobody really seems to know exactly where that boundary lies. Many Cardios seem to take a more conservative track - and who can blame them? If I was a Cardiologist, I sure wouldn't want to tell someone that it was OK to lift weights, and then later find out that said person ended up needing surgery, whether related to the weights or not.

Those of us who are competitive are automatically going to have a very difficult time with workout boundaries. I've spent my whole life trying to go faster, longer, and generally attempting to push my body beyond its limits. For someone to tell me that I need to replace running a marathon with easy biking or a stair stepper just shows that they don't understand the competitive mindset. There's a feeling that you get when you achieve a Personal Record in any physical activity that is incomparable to anything else.

What's my point? Everyone needs to find their own boundaries. The only consensus that seems to be out there is that no Cardiologist is going to OK power lifting. Most will also give you a HR limit, and some seem to throw out other blanket restrictions (?no marathons? has shown up several times, for example). I've made the personal decision that I'm going to continue distance running and hiking in the mountains whether my Cardiologist approves or not. I will however, abide by weightlifting guidelines ? mainly because it is something I never really had a passion for. It's very possible that continuing to push myself might decrease the life of my repaired valve, but I'm willing to take that risk because of how much those activities are, and always have been, a part of my nature. I can't imagine stopping all strenuous activity on account of my valve because of how negatively it would affect the rest of my life and well-being. I cut WAY down on exercise just prior to surgery because of all of my symptoms. I almost instantly became crabby, touchy, and an altogether unpleasant person to be around because I no longer had a release for all the pent-up stress and frustration in my life. I can?t possibly imagine going through the rest of my life in that state.

Anyways, like I said before, everyone has to make their own decisions about how much they want to push themselves, and also need to be ready to accept the possible consequences. There are MANY things that can put stress on valves ? high salt intake, alcohol consumption, and stress are just a few. The idea is to find your own comfort zone balancing what's "bad for you" and living a life worth living?

Now it's now my turn to step off the soapbox. :)

I've been primarily a runner most of my life, so I never got into heavy weights. I do recall the cardio advising against "heavy" lifting, but he never defined heavy. Anyway, I had the aortic valve replaced 15 years ago and I've continued to run as much as I had ever before, plus I've done seasonal weight training but never gone "heavy".

My max bench press is about 175lbs. I'm sure that sounds heavy to some, but it wokrs for me. Mostly it's in the winter when snow and ice make running my regular routes difficult. I'll start in about December 3 or 4 days a week at a very comfortable weight and work up about 5 lbs each week or two until March when I can be regular about going outdoors again.

SumoRunner said:
I've been primarily a runner most of my life, so I never got into heavy weights. I do recall the cardio advising against "heavy" lifting, but he never defined heavy. Anyway, I had the aortic valve replaced 15 years ago and I've continued to run as much as I had ever before, plus I've done seasonal weight training but never gone "heavy".

My max bench press is about 175lbs. I'm sure that sounds heavy to some, but it wokrs for me. Mostly it's in the winter when snow and ice make running my regular routes difficult. I'll start in about December 3 or 4 days a week at a very comfortable weight and work up about 5 lbs each week or two until March when I can be regular about going outdoors again.

Hey, that is great to hear! When I met with my surgeon, he told me he didn't see a problem with me eventually lifting close to what my max was before. That didn't seem to agree with what many members' cadios/surgeons advised. I'm glad to see you are able to press that weight which is significantly higher than the limit I had heard of. I know all this should be taken with a grain of salt and I don't want anyone to think I'll be in the gym in a cpl of mos attempting to press heavy weight, but I want to be able to think I can do that in a year or so. If all goes well.

My surgeon didn't seem to mind me lifting 100 or 200lbs. He didn't have a magic number as to what I should lift. It was my Card that was making all the fuss about it and putting the 50lbs. weight limit on me. I think it may be another case of the Card playing the conservative role that they usually play.

I also throw the shot. I'm probably the worlds worst shot putter but it's fun going to the meets and schmoozing. I'll also run the mile most weeks, also the worlds worst of course. I had to give up discus at age 50 because of back aches and put down the shot at age 55 for the same reason. But then I credit my winter lifting program, especially balancing out the opposing muscles, with being able to return at 58 and throw for ten weeks last summer without a twinge of pain. You don't have to lift half a ton to throw a 13 lb iron ball.

Latest posts

Back