Anticoagulation Symposium

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone should read this article!!!!!

Everyone should read this article!!!!!

Kristy:
I can't thank you enough for posting this article. This is the kind of data that I have been searching for since March 2001. Everyone who has a point of care monitor (Coagucheck or ProTime) and especially anyone who has difficulty with their physician about getting a monitor should read this. I plan to take this to our internist. We have a machine, but he still is not convinced about its value.

In the article, Dr. Adams, Boston, Mass, Associate Cheif of Cardiac Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Associate Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, is asked, "What would you do if you had to take Coumadin? Would you take a home-monitoring machine?" His answer begins, "I WOULD FOR SURE......."

Now, if the words of the Chief of Cardiac Surgery, who is an Associate Professor at Harvard Medical School, are not enough to satisfy my husband's doctor about the value, reliability, and vaildity of his home monitor, perhaps the opinions of the other Nine distinguished cardiac surgeons and cardiologists....and one director of medical research will. These experts advocate the use of point-of-care monitors both in clinics and in homes. They have, in fact, discussed important changes in their choice of valves to be used in surgery because of better management of anticoagulation due to the monitors and patients' direct
involvement. They talk about decreasing complications, decreasing strokes, decreasing costs, and improvement of quality of life. And, it's done in a few short pages using language that can be understood by everyday folk like me.

Kristy, I'm confident that this article will be of great to benefit to us and to many other people who want to home monitor. In that regard, I'm going to ask Hank to consider adding it to the publications on this board so that we can refer people to it in the future. This is one powerful atricle.

With the kindest possible regards and great appreciation
Blanche

Glad it helped.

Glad it helped.

Blanche,

I'm so glad that you found the article of use. I honestly just happened on it.

I was amazed that the surgeons are the ones who "get it" when it comes to coumadin management. Although they like the INR's on the lower end, they really do believe that the patient should be in charge of testing AND that testing should be done more than once a month!!

This "conference" or whatever it was was sponsored by St. Jude's, but you can see from all the articles (2 others posted in the valve choice forum) that these surgeons all have different preferences when it comes to replacement valves.

Again, I'm glad that these articles helped.

Blanche and Kristy,

Thanks for the article. I will bring up home testing next time I see my internist. Maybe she will read this symposium discussion. Another approach I may use is talking with my cardiologist in the fall when I go in for my 6 month echo. Of course, he doesn't monitor my coumadin, but I can sure try. I really do see this testing as the future for sure. I would just like it to be for me now in the present.

Paula G.
AVR - St. Jude
08-21-01

The transcription:

Anticoagulation - Use, Management, and Effect on Quality of Life

is one of several publications that can be found on the St. Jude Web site www.OneValveForLife.com under PUBLICATIONS

Other transcriptions include Guidelines for removing Coumadin therapy (for surgery etc) and guidelines for valve selection.

There is a LOT of good information for Valve Replacment patients under PATIENTS, PHYSICIANS, and PUBLICATIONS. Good reading.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back