Anticoagulants and activity and diet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas288

I am 40 and have a aortic aneurysm with a bicuspid valve. I am leaning towards mech. right not because of my age and wanting to avoid a 2nd open heart surgery.

I am currently very active and have no symptoms. My concerns are limitations on anticoagulants. What have your experiences been with Biking? (what if you take a spill?) hiking, skiing etc? I have also been involved in martial arts for 30 years. I do not spar anymore but am concerned about bruising due to training.

Also regarding diet. My wife and I are foodies and also enjoy our wine. Limitations?

thank you in advance.

Nick

Eat whatever you want to. Do not change your diet whatsoever. You can have alcohol in moderation too. Unless your planning on gashing yourself enough to require stitches, then you have nothing to worry about. You'll bleed a little longer, not faster. Stop bleeding the same way you always have, direct pressure for as long as it takes.
You may bruise easily, then again, you may not.

Take a look at the active lifestyles forum. Many mechanical people are living and enjoying their lives doing what they love to do.

Thanks Ross.
Quick question, why were your operations 7 years apart? Was the valve issue something that developed later on or was it repaired and then needed replacement later?
Thanks
Nick

Knowing what I know & being on coumadin for over 30+ years, I wouldn't give being placed on anticoagulants a 2nd thought!

I have had severe spills over the years because of my very active life & never once have I bled to death!!! I have also had three other major surgeries besides my 3 OHS surgeries so take it from someone who's been there & done that....and I'm still here! :)

All that said, limitations & precautions of course are all good but you should not have to stop having fun, eating what you like, or enjoying the sports you love because of anticoagulants.

Good luck to you in whatever choice you make! :)

Thanks Ross.
Quick question, why were your operations 7 years apart? Was the valve issue something that developed later on or was it repaired and then needed replacement later?
Thanks
Nick

My first surgery was an emergency surgery because my aneurysm blew at about 4.7. It ripped up my valve pretty good, but the surgeon repaired it as best he could and resuspended it. I had been on bypass far too long as was and he didn't feel I'd make it unless he did what he did and got out.

After that surgery, I had a moderate regurgitation. That was the best he could do, but the valve lasted 7 more years before it became severe and required replacement. ;)

We have a position here in regard to dosing coumadin. Those in the medical community who are up to date on dosing know to 'dose the diet; don't diet the dose'. Eat the way you normally do and your correct dose of coumadin will be established. The correct dose for you will be the amount that keeps your INR in the range prescribed for you by your surgeon/cardio.

What is very important about staying in range and eating variety of foods (some of which contain Vitamin K) is to be consistent. If you never drink wine, don't go out one day and drink a bottle. If you are accustomed to a glass or two a day, that will be factored in determining your dose. It's interesting that with alcohol/wine, some people report it does not effect their INR level, some say it raises it and some say it lowers it. No way to determine in advance into which group you might fall but if you have any coumadin manager tell you that you cannot ever drink wine on coumadin, find a new manager. They do not know how to manage the drug well.

I have a tissue valve and only took coumadin for just under three months but learned a lot in the interim. One never knows if it may become necessary for me to again take it in the future.

I agree with the majority of people on ACT that anti-coagulants(blood thinners;)) are no big deal. I have always done, ate and drank what I wanted. As long as I do these things within reason, I have had no problems. In my opinion the only thing you HAVEto do, is to develop the routine of taking the drug as prescribed and test regulartly.

Activities, Diet, etc...

Activities, Diet, etc...

Hi Nick,

Others have offered good insights here...

I never had any symptoms prior to AVR surgery. After 50+ years my valve simply needed to be replaced and a significant aortic aneurysm had developed. I opted for a St. Jude mechanical because I preferred to take a shot at avoiding future OHS.

My lifestyle before AVR surgery was incredibly active and that has not changed since my surgery in March 2007. I bicycle (both road & mtn) more now than I did before my surgery. I usually do five or six century rides every summer and most of these involve multiple significant climbs up mountain passes in Colorado. I also ski (downhill & backcountry).

Sure, if you crash on bicycle or skis after AVR surgery, you'll probably get some bruises and/or road rash. I've dislocated fingers, broke bones, been bruised, and been generally been beat-up pretty good in bicycle crashes since AVR surgery. However, the reality here is that my active lifestyle resulted in me being beat-up pretty good before I had AVR surgery and started taking coumadin.

One thing I have changed since AVR is my attitude about safety gear. I don't cycle or ski without a helmet. My cycling helmet undoubtedly saved my life in June when I was the victim of a hit & run accident.

I still enjoy drinking wine too.

Others may report different experiences, but for me, AVR surgery was simply about getting things fixed so I could move along with the activities I enjoy.

-Philip

I'm a triathlete and have crashed at over 20 mph on my bike, including hitting my head on the pavement hard enought to crack my helmet.

Other than the expected road rash, the Coumadin has not been a problem. I would never think of riding without a helmet, but wouldn't do so Coumadin or not.

My cardiologist hasn't given me any restrictions on my activites. It was his suggestion to do more aerobic exercise which got me into triathlons in the first place.

Mark

Guys I'm not really back. I've hit a stall point where I can't do much more for a bit, so I'm checking in on things now and then.

As for those dreaded anticoagulants that the doctors want you to beleive are so very dangerous (because most of them were never taught the proper way to dose or manage), I'll say this:

Honest to God, if your on Coumadin, in range, do exactly what your supposed to do and are compliant in your care, it's not much worse then not being on it at all. Now if you want to be an idiot, ignore advice and information, be noncompliant and just don't care, then expect something bad to happen. It's as simple as that.

Back