Antibiotics & Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Davidcv67

I have a sore throat so I went to the doc and he prescribed me some antibiotics since I have a valve and he wanted to be safe. He said to get my INR tested becuase the antibiotics will also attack the bateria that is produced by the liver which is what creates the clotting time.

Learn something new everyday! (or is this common knowledge and I am just uninformed?)

Dave:
Is it the liver? I thought it was the intestine. I could be wrong. I do know that for some people the INR increases and for others it decreases. It's important to expect variation and to track it. Al just had a massive dose of antibiotics IV for dental work. His INR always goes up. It gets tricky because they lower his dose to compensate for the antibiotic reaction, but when the antibiotic clears the system, the INR really goes down. It's hard to achieve a balance. You might want to check Al Lodwick's materials. I believe he covers antibiotics. Hope you feel better quickly.
Blanche

Amox

Amox

Last Thursday I took 4 500mg of Amox for Dental work. Next day my INR was 2.6...SAME as 2 weeks ago. No change for me:) Bonnie

Thanks.

Interesting. I didnt see my particular Antibiotic but at least now I know! The doctor told me in so many words "Antibiotics=elevated INR"

Dave,
I've been going thru this kind of thing for the last half dozen years.
The anti-biotics whether for sore throat, dental work,etc. always affects my INR for a short time but it has always fallen right back in place with no problems.

Hi Dave!

Hi Dave!

Were you running a fever when you went in to see your doctor. I didn't think you needed to be on antibiotic for a sore throat if you didn't have a fever. I'm just asking to make sure for myself. I have the two little ones and I have had one sore throat already that has come and gone. I never developed a fever, so I never went to the doctor. My oldest is sick again and complaining of a sore throat. You know someone else in the family is going to get it. It will make its rounds. Do you think I should go to the doc if I get any cold symptoms or do you just go if you develop a fever, since a fever indicates an infection? My docs originally told me that most of the things I will be catching will be viral, but if I develop a fever, I should get it checked out and put on antibiotics, just in case it is bacterial. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Take Care!
Gail

Gail

Gail

The last 2 times I've had a really bad sore throat I thought it might be strep. I really don't know if viral or baterial is bad...I just have heard about infections in the valve and worry no matter what. The last 2 docs I went to both said "well you have a valve lets be safe and put you on an antibiotics." I would like to know from our panel of experts out there the real deal!

Dave

Dave,
I have been told exactly the same thing from my doctor.
He said you have that valve and we don't want that infection going there.
Sounded good to me!!

Doctors tend to err on the side of caution and prescribe antibiotics whenever a cold or sore throat manifests itself. In my husband's case, they tried to overmedicate him everytime he sneezed because of his history. He contacted endocarditis as a result of extensive dental work, even though he was medicated. The infection was not diagnosed for 3 months. As a result, he was hospitalized for two weeks and on IV home therapy for three more weeks. Some months later, he had to have his mitral valve replaced. Over the past 12 years, he's been on most of the antibiotics you can imagine and had difficulty with some. He also has other health problems.

Now that he is being followed by a new internist, he does not take antibiotics for minor sore throat or symptoms of a cold. However, they do test for strep with sore throat....done that three times and all three were negative. There can be terrible, life threatening interactions with some of the potent antibiotics, such as Z-max and Levaguin. Amoxicillin seems to work well for him without huge INR swings, but the INR still does go up nonetheless because all antibiotics attack bacteria in the intestines.

There are three kinds of Vitamin K. There's the K that you get from veggies, especially the green ones; there's synthetic K, the kind they give you in the hospital if the INR must be lowered for emergency procedures; and there's the K that is manufactured in your gut from the bacteria found in your GI tract. When you take antibiotics, they wipe out the harmful bacteria and the "friendly" bacteria in the intestines that is needed for the production of vitamin K. Less vitamin K translates to a higher INR. I quess you could conclude that the more potent the antibiotic, the more "friendly" bacteria gets eliminated. It's rather like using a sledge hammer to pound in a thumb tack.

Wouldn't it be nice if one size really did fit all? This is my totally NOT-expert opinion.

Hi David,
My daughter has had two bouts of endocarditis and has recurrent sinus, nasal infections and pneumonia due to the fact that she does not produce any IgA (immunoglobin that protects mucous membranes). We've had the opportunity to talk to the cardiologist about antibiotics and he seems to think that a sore throat should be evaluated (quick strep --immediate results and standard strep sent to the lab for 24 hour results). If there is strep then antibiotics, if there is no strep then no antibiotics. (the quick strep is very accurate but does have some false negatives so that is why they do the normal strep test as well)

Martha (mom to Chrissy, 4 heart surgeries AVR 10/10/02, born with truncus arteriosus)

Latest posts

Back