Another thread from me...Reynaud's Syndrome

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi again, all--

I just learned from my cardio that I have Reynaud's syndrome. In my case, my artery behind my knee is narrowed (not related to PAD) and goes into spasms, causing my foot to turn cold.

Many of you know that I had scar tissue inside my right femoral artery and had to have an angioplasty three years ago this Feb. After a few ankle brachial indexes, echoes on my artery, a couple MRAs and a lower extremity study, my cardio concluded that my artery is "wide open" and I should not have any more issues. Still, recently I was having groin pain and needed another ABI/echo of my leg. My foot is cold a lot!

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else here has Reynaud's Syndrome and if so, what your experiences have been.

Thanks,
Debi

Just a question. If it's Reynaud's syndrome, why is it just on one side? Wouldn't you be affected on both sides and in your hands also?

Adrienne,

Apparently the narrowing is only in my right leg, from what my cardio has explained. (I've seen the lower extremity study report--it's my popliteal (sp?) artery). Maybe also since I've had a weak right side since birth, perhaps the artery stayed narrow as I grew up. My right leg is smaller in size than my left.

Right now I am off the persantine and the aspirin therapy. I think that has also affected how cold my feet feels, and because it's been chilly at night here for a while.

I had cold hands for most of my life, which I understand it a symptom of Reynaud's. However, when I went onto beta blockers for my aneurysm and heart, my hands warmed up. I presume you are already on beta blockers so that would not change your situation. What a bummer! I hope someone comes up with something helpful for you!

Hi, Debi. Even though I've never been formally diagnosed, I believe I may have a mild form of it. There are times when the tips of my toes go completely numb. They always have a whitish color about them that indicates to me that there's no blood flow. I usually warm my feet up in a tub of warm water, and the color eventually returns. I've not noticed the leg pain that you've mentioned, just numb toes. Let us know what you find out.

It was suggested to me by a doctor that I might have Reynaud's syndrome. I never formally pursued it though. A finger on either hand would get a dark purple color and then swell up and would take a few days to go away. it would just happen out of the blue and was a very weird looking thing. If it happened on a ring finger I would have to get my ring off as soon as I felt it starting or my ring would cut into me. I would have a strange sensation when it would start turning color and swell. It only happened to one finger at a time. My finger would look like it was broken. This has not occurred since having my heart surgery and I hope it stays that way. In fact until your post I actually forgot about it and never mentioned it to my cardiologist or surgeon. I don't even know if they treat this syndrome.

I have Raynaud's Syndrome. Happens to both of my hands and feet when I get a chill - but it can affect only a few fingers on one or both hands. Seems a bit random. I used to get frostbite easily on my toes when I was kid and went cross country skiing.

I've never heard of narrowed arteries being a source of the condition. Wikipedia has some interesting background info you might want to review:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

Stanford University was doing some studies with nitroglycerin gel (applied to the affected area) to alleviate the symptoms. Basically it would act as a vasodilator to get the blood flowing again.

Latest posts

Back