Another Heart Valve Marathoner

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Helal Stephan (below), known as Stephan, 57, a civil engineer for Network Rail, from Maidenhead, Kent. Stephan raised £4,000 for the BHF at the 2003 marathon. He had a heart valve replaced two years ago. While in hospital he was watching the London Marathon, and decided to run it for the BHF. This was his first marathon and he completed the course in 5hrs 20mins. He said the section between miles 13 and 17 was his worst part. Stephan has been training for the marathon since June 2002.

The Siren's call of the recliner and couch tempt us all...but the road beckons and prevails!

Not forgotten!

Not forgotten!

Hi guys,

I'm glad to see I've not been forgotten but then I've not been the most active poster for the last few months - too busy lurking!

I had a place for this year's London Marathon but my training didn't go according to plan and so I decided not to run, for which I have no regrets. My time in 2001 was a miserable 5½ hours and IF I do run another, it will be to aim for a running, not walking, time of 4-4½ hours. My calf injury is clearing up and I'm back doing some very light work with a view to running some shorter distances - 5 or 10 KM.

Keep up the good work,

Simon

Hi Simon! Hey glad to see you posting. I found the article on your fellow countryman last night.
I have been telling everyone I had to hurry up and run marathon #3 because Simon Gee from the UK was breathing down my neck about to run #2 in London! Little friendly across the 'pond' rivalry does us all some good! :p I plan on easing back some and running a marathon in DC next year. Hope the calf heals fine and you get right back into it Simon.

Take care ... Mark

Watch out .... Hosack will be kicking all are butts at the rate he is going! :eek: :D

At this point, I can't even visualize myself running 26 miles. I think I could walk it, but that would take 6 hours or more. But maybe someday...

Thanks for the inspiration, folks! Based on some good advice I got right here on VR, I bought a pair of running shoes yesterday, and can't believe the difference they made. I did a 3.2 mile run/walk last night in 36 minutes, ran the first mile in 10 min. flat. I walked the last .8, 'cause it's all steep uphill, but it was a great workout. My heart rate was at 89-92% most of the time, and I can feel it in my leg muscles today, but I don't hurt. The shoes really helped my knees and shins.

This morning I did a 4.5 mile walk with some friends, but it was a leisurely 15 minute pace.

We have an annual 5K on the labor day weekend, and I am going to try to be in shape to run it.

If you had asked me six months ago if I would ever run a 5K, I would have laughed....

I once did 18 miles in the army when I was 18. I was in the prime shape of my life and that about killed me I also pulled a groin while doing that it took me a week to get over that. I cant imagine doing 26 miles. I guess once you get in the zone you got it made. I could see a 5k what is that 3miles?

Good job ... and a PS to all Heart Valve Patients

Good job ... and a PS to all Heart Valve Patients

Good job Bill. Expect to be sore. If you can get through the next few weeks and suck up a little muscle soreness, you are home free. In time it will just become habit.

Lee, your right. A 5K is 3.1 miles and a 10K is 6.2. In Canada at the last two marathons it was marked in Kilometers. Try 42K! Talk about mentally knock you on your butt! :eek:

Mark

PS: TO ALL HEART VALVE PATIENTS: After my first marathon, I started looking for other heart valve patients, and no one responded. I originally wrote Runners World magazine, (Rodale) to find out if I was the only one whom had done so, for no heart patients and responded to my inquiry online. They told me about Les Barrett from an internet search they did, and it just so happened I had just come across the article on Les myself about the same time. Well as far as they knew, I was number two, and the article from the newspaper reported me as that. (the paper was honest, just had no other report of anyone running a marathon besides Les.) Then along comes Simon! Okay, I accept that and move to the number 3 spot. Okay, then last night along comes Vince Obsitnik, in the article I found last night. Well number 4 spot is fine with me!! :) As a matter of fact, I wish the whole darn bunch of us challanged ourselves to be everything we can be with what we got. Because the bottom line is, what we got is a second chance. No matter where your at in life .... don't blow the blessing that has been bestowed upon you all. :cool:

Have a great day.

Mark

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard

I thought that was right we use to use clicks or klicks in the army to messure distance and I thought 1 click was .6 miles.
Thanks I wont be doing any 42 klickers no time soon.

mileage log

mileage log

Mark,
Did you say it was RoadRunnerSports you guys were using to log your mileage?
I went to it, saw where I needed to join, but it didn't look like I could log swim laps--only miles running.
You know it takes a whole lot longer to swim across country than run it, but I'm willing to start putting it on. If I had started keeping records 19 years ago, I'm guessing I would have gone across the U.S. at least once and maybe twice.
Mary

Hi Mary,
Yes you can log swim and biking miles along with running. When you put your workout in, you will see where it says 'Work out type' you just click on the arrow next to it and it will give you the running, swimming, or biking choice. You just have to come up with a password to get in your site and your on your way.

Simon, sorry I left you off the list.

Les, thanks for the heads up.

Mark, whether you were 2nd, 4th or 10th matters not to me. The fact that I found you and then Les at a critical time in my life, has meant the world to me. I don't know that I will ever catch up to you, nor is that the point (but the testosterone does demand some competitiveness:)).

I continue to be inspired by all of you.

Bill, keep up the good work! Your progress is outstanding. Just don't push too hard to the point where your discomfort discourages you. Gradual increments is the key. And remember to stretch real well.

Latest posts

Back