another endocarditis question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnconnolly

Hi all, I just wondered, how many of the little haemorrhages need to appear under fingernails before we worry it's endocarditis? A few or lots?

It's probably just paranoia as I have a few very small ones but just thought I'd check with the experts :)

Thanks, Lynn

I never got them at all when I had endo.,but I did get a couple postop
for some unknown reason. I wouldn't worry unless you have other symptoms
to go with it: fever,loss of appetite,weight loss,night sweats,and fatigue.
I know that there can be other causes for splinter hemorrhage or janeway's
lesions but I don't remember what they are-sorry.
Dina:)

Lynn, On their own, finger splints shouldn't be a worry. To echo Dina, are you symptomatic in any other areas? Fever, rigours, sudden fatigue, weight loss, night sweats??????
If you want to really freak yourself out, shine a torch pressed under your finger through to the nail and you'll probably see splints galore.

Hi Dina and Bonzo, thanks so much for your replies :) I kind of do and don't have other symptoms in that I've had a nasty cold/flu virus for about 2 weeks so I've had a temp and sweats adn things, but that would be the cold probably. I haven't lost any weight and if anything, I've gained some. I'm thinking it's fluid due to the bad chest and cough I have but it could just be fat... :)

I'm off to Spain for a week on Saturday so short of dropping dead, I'll try not to let anything affect that so I'll see how it goes while we're away and then see about going to the doctor's.

I did the torch thingy and actually had only the ones I could see anyway, so that's a good thing I'm sure!

Hope you two are keeping well?
Thanks again for the replies,
Lynn

Lynn, I have had, and still get the splinters, I can first remember seeing them more than twenty years ago.

When I had endocarditis I felt really ill, I couldn't eat more than a mouthful, just no appetite, I lost ten pounds in weight in just over a week. I also was so cold and got rigors.

Enjoy your holiday.

Hi Sue, well then I guess I have nothing to worry about because I don't feel anything like that bad. Just all the typical symptoms of a cold but it's liveable with :)

Thanks for replying
Lynn

I had forgotten that "torch" means flashlight in GB. Initially my thought was" "Gee, if you didn't have marks before, putting a torch under your nail would sure do it".:eek:;)

Torch in the US usually means a propane fueled fire burning device. ;):D

I have nail splinters a lot. Usually they are just due to trauma we do not recall happening.

Hi Sue, well then I guess I have nothing to worry about because I don't feel anything like that bad. Just all the typical symptoms of a cold but it's liveable with :)

Thanks for replying
Lynn
Just keep an eye on it and if the fever doesnt go away in a reasonable
amount of time,check it out. Some of the symptoms can be vague initially
and then they worsen later. I was diagnosed late because of being unaware;
and the vague,intermittent symptoms.
You shouldn't be high risk unless you have scar tissue in the heart,or some
entryway for micro-organisms like invasive procedures, dental surgery and dental cleaning, I.V.'s, frequent cuts or infections,and others.
BTW and FYI:
In med-lingo TORCH is also an acronym for certain micro-organisms, like
toxoplasmosis,rubella,cytomegalo virus and herpes(i forget "O")TORCH
is the organisms that pass thru the placenta.

I am sure you are fine but with endocarditis it's healthy to be paranoid;)
My best-Dina

Back