Aneurysms & Valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

corky

Hi,
I am recovering from Ascending Aortic Aneurysm. surgery August 20, i feel great, this is 4th week of cardiac rehab.
My question is: after searching this site, I believe I am the rare one who did not require aortic valve replacement. What is the experience of you out there? Thanks \
Corky, just wondering..............
My surgeon did Arnold Schw..............(can't spell his name, better get used to it he's our new governor) I bet Arnold had some time to chose the best. So I am happy camper.

Hi Corky

When mine blew, they repaired the valve rather then put a new one in. I always thought they did a Ross on me, but the more I read into some of the records I have, this may not be the case. It looks like they took part of my Pulmonary vein and used it to fashion leaflets for my shredded valve.????

Anyway, if the valve is fine and not damaged, they won't monkey with it. The just slap a patch on the inner tube and put er back on the road.

Hey Corky
I had a aortic aneurysm repair in April and they also replaced my aortic valve since it had gotten worse. I had a bicuspid aortic valve since birth. I am with Ross, if the valve is not damaged they leave it along.
Glad to hear how well you are doing. Keep it up.

Dave

On December 20, 2002, I had a part of my ascending aorta replaced with Dacron, but my aortic valve was also repaired and not replaced. My surgeon was Dr. Robert March at Rush University Hospital in Chicago. My recovery went very well. I went out to dinner two weeks to the day of surgery, and walked back in my gym six weeks to the day. I was told that valve repairs have a slight chance for a need to reoperate. I was told I have something like a 5% chance over the next 15 years of needing surgery. The procedure that was done is known as a "T. David-5", after Dr. T. David, a Canadian that developed this procedure. If you do a Google search on the net for simply "valve sparing" you will get hits on numerous articles that discuss this procedure, including many authored by Dr. David. So far the published results seem to indicate that at least in the intermediate term this surgery hold up quite well.

Before the surgery the Surgeon felt there was a small possibility to repair my aortic valve, but when we got done I ended up a new aortic root, mechanical valve and a dacron graft that extends up to the first branch in the aortic arch.

I to had an ascending aortic aneurysm, surgery June of 2002. As stated in other post, also known as "valve sparing". I was not one of the lucky ones. I was back in surgery 9 months later having my aortic valve replaced. There is a high chance of reoperation with this surgery, but I knew that going in. I hope everything continues to go well. I'm 9 months post surgery from my valve replacement and doing well. Take care.

With all due respect to Mike Anthony and the difficulties he has faced with two open heart procedures, I would like to add a comment about the durability of and freedom from reoperation after a valve sparing procedure. Dr. Tirone David has taken what was called the "Yacoub" type of procedure and made some significant changes. The "T-David V" valve sparing procedure seems today to be the procedure of choice for valve sparing operations. According to reports published by Dr. David, and others, in the Annals of Thoracic Surgery, this procedure seems very durable, with re-operation rates very low. Even a quick internet search for the term "valve sparing" will located many of these articles. Further, the webpage for Cedars-Sini hospital in California has a nice little write up in which they say that they will only perform this procedure if they feel that the person can go at least 10 years without reoperation, but that the goal for all is a lifetime without another surgery.

As with even a mechanical there is always the chance that surgery will be needed again. But I do not believe that anyone facing surgery should reject this option stating its probably just a short term fix. Just one should recognize that with any valve surgery the chance for reoperation will always be there.

Tom, I agree with you and I would make the seem choice if I had to do it again. I think overall the chances of this type of operation lasting a lifetime is very high. I know I said chances of a second operation were high, but I meant to say, I knew going in that there was a possible chance of having to have another one. I think I was just one of those unlucky ones. But, as I stated above I would do it the same, because I would have my own valve. I still remember coming out of surgery and the first question I asked, "were you able to save my valve"; Dr. Verrier answer was yes and I was one happy camper.

Mike, I think we are on the same page. I am 11 months post op and hope to never go in again, but as you say, the risk is there. The valve sparing procedure is a bit like the Ross, if it works its like a gift from heaven. But sometimes a failure of some type happens, and that's just life. I hope you are doing well after your second open heart.

Latest posts

Back