And ther verdict is in..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matski

I saw Dr. Matter today to schedule my MVR. We sat down and he went over the cath results from May, echo's from the last 5 years and the one he did in July. He said "well, your LV function (35% on the cath in May) has increased, your now showing on your last echo 45-50% which is in acceptable limits. No need for surgery right now."

I was floored! What? Its been doom and gloom for the past few months, now 'your doing fine'? I asked how this could be? were the previous results wrong? He said that his feeling is the Carvedilol has made a difference. He also indicated that I could have had a virus that caused the issue. He conceded that the MV regurg is unchanged (still mod/severe), will get worse and I will need a MVR but not yet. He has me rescheduled for another echo in February and we will reassess then but he said we may be looking at 2010.

This is terrific news, obviously my wife was thrilled and so am I but its funny. After the stressing over this since June and finally getting to where I was okay with it, oddly it's kind of a let down...but one that I'm already over!:p

I'll keep you all in the know, and definitely be around for a while now (in the forums I mean).

Matt

Yup, I got similar in January--echo said DO Surgery! TEE said hold off. Being in limbo is difficult because you can't make plans, and you can't DO anything about your condition except watch and wait.

BUT in your case such a reprieve is a real blessing because you can focus on the baby and your wife for a while. Take a deep breath. You could get a year or more before needing surgery, so enjoy the time!

Give yourself a few days to adjust your mind-set. I know I was half relieved and half disappointed (sounds silly, but true) to have my surgery postponed indefinitely.

Matt:

Congratulations on the reprieve.

This will be at least your 4th OHS, won't it? I'm not sure how many 4th re-ops Dr. Matter has done. When he did my MVR, it was my first (and knock on wood, only) OHS, so I didn't have an OHS history.

Have you gotten that info from him?

Matt:

Congratulations on the reprieve.

This will be at least your 4th OHS, won't it? I'm not sure how many 4th re-ops Dr. Matter has done. When he did my MVR, it was my first (and knock on wood, only) OHS, so I didn't have an OHS history.

Have you gotten that info from him?

I did, because honestly that was my biggest concern and a mjor deciding factor. He said he performed a 5th re-op MVR on a woman who was in a similar situation to mine.

The fact that he studied under Dr. Pacifico @ UAB was also a plus. But honestly, when I reached out for Dr. Pacifico and he said I was in good hands pretty much sold me.

Latest posts

Back