Amiodarone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCB

This article is over two years old and I'm sorry if someone has posted it already but as we on VR.com age, a good percentage of us have or will have AF. You should be warned about the problem with this drug.

Posted on Tue, Nov. 23, 2004
Millions unaware of heart drug risk, FDA slow to deliver promised warning for amiodarone
By Alison Young
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Is your drug off-label?
About this series
A highly toxic heart drug continues to be prescribed to millions of patients nationwide without the detailed consumer warnings promised by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration more than a year ago.

Bottles of the drug, amiodarone, are supposed to include an advisory that warns of its many risks, lists symptoms of fatal side effects and explains how the medication is supposed to be used. But the advisory, planned since October 2003, remains in draft form, bouncing back and forth between the FDA and the drug maker assigned to write it.

FDA officials didn't respond to requests for interviews about amiodarone and its efforts to protect consumers. An FDA spokeswoman instead referred questions to Wyeth, the drug maker.

Wyeth spokesman Chris Garland said the FDA could approve its advisory as early as next month. Wyeth, which sells the drug under the brand name Cordarone, was given the job of writing the informational guide because it was the first company to sell the drug.

Amiodarone is sold by several generic manufacturers, as well as under another brand name, Pacerone.

The warning delay comes as the FDA is being questioned about its slowness in protecting Americans from deadly drugs, including the arthritis drug Vioxx, which was pulled off the market this fall.

"How many people are dying right now as we speak as a result of their procrastination?" asked Karen Muccino of Los Alamitos, Calif., whose father died Feb. 20 of lung damage caused by amiodarone.

Despite his training as an obstetrician, Muccino's father never realized his dry cough was a symptom of a potentially fatal side effect, Muccino said. And she said she's livid that the FDA didn't immediately issue patient warnings last fall.

"He would have been taken off the drug three months earlier, and his life would have been saved," Muccino said.

Sen. Charles Grassley, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, said Tuesday that he will look into the delays in the amiodarone warnings.

"What's happening with this drug goes to the heart of questions about how long it takes the FDA to act when known risks or dangers exist," the Iowa Republican said. "The FDA and drug companies might know about risks, but it doesn't do any good if doctors and patients don't know about them too."

Like most patients, Muccino's father was taking amiodarone for atrial fibrillation, a common condition in which the heart beats out of rhythm.

The FDA never approved the drug to treat that condition.

Patients taking amiodarone have died from lung and liver damage, gone blind or suffered other side effects. Yet it's routinely prescribed for common heart rhythm problems despite safer alternatives.

The FDA has approved amiodarone only for more severe disorders, called ventricular arrhythmias, and then only as a treatment of last resort.

According to recent data, doctors wrote more than 2 million prescriptions for amiodarone in a single year for atrial fibrillation and other heart conditions the drug wasn't approved to treat. A Knight Ridder investigation last year found that those prescriptions represented 82 percent of all the amiodarone dispensed from retail pharmacies during the 12-month period ending July 31, 2003.

This month, a class-action lawsuit was filed in New Jersey that accuses drug makers of promoting amiodarone for common heart ailments in an effort to boost profits. The suit contends that more than 1,000 people died, 100 had vision problems and thousands of others suffered severe medical complications.

When the FDA approved amiodarone for sale in the United States, it recognized that it was a dangerous drug and told doctors to be careful about its use.

Dr. Valentin Fuster, chairman of the American College of Cardiology's treatment guidelines committee for atrial fibrillation, said amiodarone shouldn't be the first drug a doctor tries when treating the disorder.

"You don't use amiodarone as a drug for this except after everything else fails," said Fuster, who also is director of the cardiovascular institute at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. "Amiodarone carries a higher risk than other drugs."

Knight Ridder found that patients routinely were given little information about the drug's risks or alternative therapies. Over the years, the FDA has cited various manufacturers for playing down its risks and for promoting it as a first-line therapy.

In October 2003, Dr. Janet Woodcock, who at the time ran the FDA's drug division, said the agency would take the rare action of requiring the advisory in all amiodarone prescriptions.

Because of the dangers posed by the drug, Woodcock said the information would be written and distributed quickly, certainly by early 2004. "Obviously this drug is a very risky drug," she said then.

Woodcock, now the FDA's acting deputy commissioner for operations, didn't respond to requests for an interview over the past week.

The FDA first asked Wyeth to write the guide on Dec. 19, 2003, and the company gave the FDA a first draft Aug. 23. "That was in advance of what the FDA asked us and what we told them we would do," Wyeth spokesman Garland said. "We told them we would submit by November."

The FDA sent back its first comments on the guide Sept. 21, Garland said. Wyeth replied in October. The draft is now with the FDA, he said, adding that the process is happening quickly by drug regulation standards.

"Normally, the FDA can take up to six months to respond to an initial filing," Garland said.

In the lawsuit against Wyeth and several other makers of amiodarone, patients and their families accused the drug makers of pushing doctors to prescribe the drug for unapproved uses while concealing and playing down its risks.

"It's our belief there has been one long overpromotion of this drug," said David Harris, a Naples, Fla., attorney who filed the suit Nov. 10 in Atlantic County Superior Court in New Jersey. Officials at Wyeth, the lead defendant in the case, had no comment about the suit.

Karen Muccino is one of five plaintiffs. Her father, Dr. John Muccino, 69, had suffered from chronic atrial fibrillation since he was in his 40s, she said. When his heart was out of rhythm, it made him tired. He was put on various medications over the years with varying degrees of success. In October 2002, doctors put him on amiodarone, she said.

About a year later, he developed a dry cough. The cough worsened and by New Year's Day 2004 he was very ill with what he thought was a bad cold. Within days, he was hospitalized with what seemed to be pneumonia. A lung biopsy, however, found it was amiodarone lung damage, Karen Muccino said. Her father died after being taken off a respirator Feb. 20.

"There must be changes made and there must be some accuntabilitiy," said Muccino, a nurse by training and the vice president of a health care company. "There are so many medications that have labels on them saying 'Take with food or milk,' but you have a drug like this that has such slight warnings of an impending fatal situation and it isn't noted on the prescription bottle, which is totally ridiculous."

Users risk serious side effects:

What are amiodarone's risks?

The drug's FDA-approved prescribing label for doctors, which patients rarely see, warns that the drug comes with "substantial toxicity." About three-fourths of all patients taking a 400 mg dose experienced some side effects. Some can be fatal:

-- Lung toxicity, which has harmed as many as 17 percent of patients in some studies and has been fatal about 10 percent of the time.

-- Liver injury is common. While usually mild, it can be fatal.

-- Worsening of the heart rhythm problem.

-- When given to pregnant women, the drug has seriously harmed the fetus.

Other side effects include thyroid problems and neurological disorders. Vision problems and blindness have been reported.

Should patients take amiodarone for atrial fibrillation?

The FDA hasn't approved amiodarone to treat atrial fibrillation. However, doctors are free to prescribe it "off label" after weighing the risks and benefits.

According to a major National Institutes of Health study called AFFIRM, experts say amiodarone generally isn't the first drug a patient should try for atrial fibrillation. A patient should first try a drug to regulate how fast the heart beats.

Other options include a procedure to destroy the misfiring electrical connection in the heart.

What can patients do?

-- Talk with your doctor. Ask why he or she chose rhythm control over rate control. For information about the AFFIRM study, go to www.nhlbi.nih.gov/new/press/02-12-04.htm.

-- Don't stop taking amiodarone without a doctor's supervision.

-- Make sure your doctor regularly monitors you for signs of lung, liver and thyroid problems.

-- Ask your pharmacist for a copy of the official prescribing label -- not just the single sheet that pharmacies often hand out with drugs. Or read the label online at www.cordarone.com.

I have seen a similar article

I have seen a similar article

A local newspaper either ran the same article or a similar article I think in 2004. It caught my dad's attention since my son was placed on this medication. He's now 2 1/2 but has been taking it since he was about 3 weeks old. However, he has SVT's, which from what I've read is what this was designed for. He developed svt's in the hospital about 2 weeks after his first surgery. We spent a total of 2 days trying to find the right med and the right dosage. At one point he ended up on amiodarone and esmolol (sp?) together to finally get him in a regurlar rhythm and keep him there. they stopped the esmolol within 12 hours of starting it. Now he's just on the amiodarone. We do have an excellent pc that checks him regularly for liver function and thyroid function and she's always asking if he's developed any unordinary cough or coughing excessively. So far so good. She is wanting to get him off the amiodarone if we can. When we go to cath before his next surgery, there is a chance they are going to do an electrophysiology study as well to see if we can stop the amiodarone.

This is a very scarey drug, but I'm not sure what would have happened if it had not been available. It is good to be informed though. Thanks again for the article.

Amiodorone...

Amiodorone...

I was given amiodorone after surgery for AFib and had an episode of ventricular standstill.The doctor said it was probably a reaction the the med. Got me shipped back to ICU for 4 extra days. I was on a temporary pacemaker for 3 days before they could get my heart back in sinus rhythm and the heart rate back up. They were considering a permanent pace maker but did not have to do that.
That is why I am scared of the other meds. The electrophysiology cardiologist said there are 2 other meds they could try..I don't remember the names. If I got that bad of a reaction with just 1 or 2 dose of amiodorone...

RCB - I know...I already had that conversation with my surgeon and asked why they would give something that strong for AFib. He said that they use amiodorone a lot and do not have those severe reactions to it. :eek: :eek:

When I left hospital it was with me taking 200mg of amiodarone (for one week) then to drop to 100mg for a week, this was while taking digoxin. I had a bad reaction to digoxin, like complete heartblock, and was then left just on 100mg amiodarone which I then took for about three months. This was for A fib. My cardiologist wanted me off it as soon as possible, it had been prescribed for me by the cardiologist in the hospital where I had surgery, not my normal cardiologist who called it a nasty drug.

I do not know if it is related, but I now have an underactive thyroid.

The thing that gets me is, even the manufacturer says this is a drug to use as a last choice option, but Doctors are using it first before trying anything else. One of my best friends liver is all screwed up from prolonged treatment with Amiodarone.

Yikes... this is the drug they gave me in Germany when I went to the hospital for A-fib.

I printed out a copy of your post, now all I have to do is convert it to German and carry it with me.

Thanks for posting this information.

Rob

Yup, it's also the drug of first choice in Australia - and probably in most of the UK. When I went into AF in Oz a couple of years ago they pumped me full of the stuff straight away. I've still got brownish stains on my lower arms around the canula sites. On my return to the UK they kept me on 200mg daily, albeit with 4 to 6 monthly liver and thyroid checks. My cardiologist told me that they rarely have problems with it:(
Finally my cardiologist agreed that it was sensible to stop taking the stuff - I actually stopped just over a month ago and have had no AF as yet. However I gather from other posts on here that it can take up to six months to completely get out of the system.
If the AF re-occurs, they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming to re-start the stuff:eek:

ClickerTicker said:
However I gather from other posts on here that it can take up to six months to completely get out of the system.
/QUOTE]

I've heard it only takes about 45 days to get out of your system?????

I understood it to be about six months, but I have also rread that it is in the body until the cells have been replaced so presumably it stays in some parts for longer. I am wondering if my increasing SOB could be down to amiodare as I understand that it might have long term effects in the lungs. My thyroid problems might also be down to it.

RCB,

I was started on amiodarone while recovering from my OHS in Jan 2005. When I went to get my first script filled they made sure I read the Warnings associated with this drug and recommended I try to get off it as soon as possible. I had already done a lot of research on the web reading about all the bad effects from this drug. However, one Doctor in England was asked to write a foreword to a book telling all the "bad" things that this drug was causing. I think he put in in better context by saying that although 15 to 20 per cent adverse reaction to a med could be looked at as bad; you should also consider the 80 to 85 per cent who received benefit from this med when nothing else worked (half full/half empty glass). He compared it to a train wreck. You always see the articles and stories of the terrible train wreck but don't read many articles telling of all the times the trains run on time and with no incidents.

My Cardio said the biggest key to prescribing this drug is TEST and MONITOR. He was keeping a close watch on my liver enzymes, my thyroid and my lungs while I was on the med. When my liver enzymes suddenly spiked he stopped the drug. It has been about 6 months now and my liver enzymes are now back to near normal. He said it can take 6 months to up to a year to get the drug out of your system. He also said I was only the second patient of his to have a reaction to this med. Guess I got on the wrong train!!!!!!!

In the US it is usually the drug of "last choice", i.e., nothing else seems to help. But in Europe it is usually the only drug of choice used there.

If you read the warnings on any med (including aspirin) SOMEBODY could have an adverse reaction to almost anything. Thats why "one size fits all" usually doesn't work in the medical field. You can quickly get that idea just by reading the posts here on VR.COM.

May God Bless,

Danny

gadgetman said:
RCB,

I was started on amiodarone while recovering from my OHS in Jan 2005. When I went to get my first script filled they made sure I read the Warnings associated with this drug and recommended I try to get off it as soon as possible. I had already done a lot of research on the web reading about all the bad effects from this drug. However, one Doctor in England was asked to write a foreword to a book telling all the "bad" things that this drug was causing. I think he put in in better context by saying that although 15 to 20 per cent adverse reaction to a med could be looked at as bad; you should also consider the 80 to 85 per cent who received benefit from this med when nothing else worked (half full/half empty glass). He compared it to a train wreck. You always see the articles and stories of the terrible train wreck but don't read many articles telling of all the times the trains run on time and with no incidents.

My Cardio said the biggest key to prescribing this drug is TEST and MONITOR. He was keeping a close watch on my liver enzymes, my thyroid and my lungs while I was on the med. When my liver enzymes suddenly spiked he stopped the drug. It has been about 6 months now and my liver enzymes are now back to near normal. He said it can take 6 months to up to a year to get the drug out of your system. He also said I was only the second patient of his to have a reaction to this med. Guess I got on the wrong train!!!!!!!

In the US it is usually the drug of "last choice", i.e., nothing else seems to help. But in Europe it is usually the only drug of choice used there.

If you read the warnings on any med (including aspirin) SOMEBODY could have an adverse reaction to almost anything. Thats why "one size fits all" usually doesn't work in the medical field. You can quickly get that idea just by reading the posts here on VR.COM.

May God Bless,

Danny
Danny,
I had no idea the success rate was that high:

"you should also consider the 80 to 85 per cent who received benefit from this med when nothing else worked (half full/half empty glass). He compared it to a train"

Do you have a citation for that success rate. It seems amazingly high.
As for side effects, I have been taken all kinds of drugs all my life. If taken properly, none have the long term serious side effect that amiodarone has.

If you read the post here, it is obvious that different drs. tell their pts. different things. I for one can't undestand Rob's experience with the German Medical System giving him amiodarone in the ER, when I have heard it takes weeks to be effective. There are other IV drugs that work faster and are much safer.

RCB said:
Danny,
I had no idea the success rate was that high:

"you should also consider the 80 to 85 per cent who received benefit from this med when nothing else worked (half full/half empty glass). He compared it to a train"

Do you have a citation for that success rate. It seems amazingly high.
As for side effects, I have been taken all kinds of drugs all my life. If taken properly, none have the long term serious side effect that amiodarone has.

If you read the post here, it is obvious that different drs. tell their pts. different things. I for one can't undestand Rob's experience with the German Medical System giving him amiodarone in the ER, when I have heard it takes weeks to be effective. There are other IV drugs that work faster and are much safer.

I did a quick Google search of "success rate of Amiodorone (I won't post the links here) and for Atrial Fibrillation it varies from as high as 99 per cent (in one report) to as low as 66 per cent in another. The success rate depends on the type of irregular rhythm. Of course, their "success rates" are based on the drug doing what it is supposed to do near term, i.e., getting the heart back in normal rhythm. A quick scan of these reports do not seem to take into account the LONG TERM results. I guess the fact that the med got you back to where you should be should be tempered with the LONG TERM results to the rest of your body. A properly functioning heart still can't overcome failing kidneys, over (or under) active thyroid, or (and especially important) lung failure. In this case, sometimes the CURE CAN KILL YOU.

I will insert here that I am by no means a medical expert. I am just a layperson who can Google like the rest of us. On the web, you will find both the worst and the best. Aspirin has been documented to kill folks. Even food stuffs can kill or make people ill. Remember the girl who died when she was kissed by her boyfriend after he ate a peanut butter sandwich. She was alergic to peanuts.

I'm sure after the week-end some of our medically knowledgable folks will be along. I think we should always remember what works for one might not necessarily work for another. Just because a med is 99 per cent safe and effective doesn't make you feel any better if you are in that 1 per cent.

May God Bless,

Danny

Pt. selection and impact on success rate

Pt. selection and impact on success rate

One of the problems with "success rate" is it often depends on pt.
selection or exclusion. We had a good debate on Maze surgeons success
rates on a AF forum- it seemed to depend on how they defined "success" and
what pt. they "pre-selected". If you read some of the studies turned up with a Google search, their results were all over the place- one study even mentioned this along with a long list of pt. who were excluded from the study. However, few mentioned a long term study of morbidity, which concerns me. One the did, claimed it was 35%.

If a pt. wants to go on this therapy, that is fine as long as they understand that unlike a lot of other therapies, this one can have some serious side effects and you better know the risks!

This info came at a good time. (I have another post active now about my mother.)

She had open-heart in Aug 2005. She was put on Amiodarone. She developed a dry hacking cough almost immediately. Although she was previously diagnosed with COPD, she was put on home oxygen for the first time ever about 5 months after being on Amiodarone. She also has worsening neuro symptoms (increased instability and unsteadiness.)

Thanks for reposting this. I plan to quizz her MDs again. (I did once, about two months ago, but primary care MD told me I should "not dabble in pharmacology" and that it's the "only drug of choice they have".

Eeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am on this nasty stuff and I am getting ready to put a halt to it:mad:

I went into a-flutter while on 200mg per day so the gave me an oral loading dose which did not work:( and I had to be zapped (not bad at all).

I had the ablation along with my AVR and was told it my take 3-6 months for it to do it's thing:confused: . I was put on 400mg per day but I just can't buy into this dose or this drug. I dropped back to 200mg and bumped my toprol back to 100mg per day(original dose). I know I know I'm playing doctor but I see my cardio in two days and we will either come to an exceptable agreement or part ways.

This stuff realy scares me:mad: :mad:

Know your risks

Know your risks

I certainly agree that everyone should know your risks and make an informed and well thought out decision, but consider this......

There are no (or at least none that I know of) heart meds for arhytmias that are made specifically for children. In order to do that, they would have to run studies to be approved by the FDA, which means a parent would have to give permission to have their child -- with a heart problem - to agree to take the risk of getting a placebo. I know that I certainly wouldn't want to risk my son's health on a chance. Although the alternatives run great risks, they have been used for many years for children when absolutely necessary and they know what works.

So weigh the odds, study the info and make the best decision you can make, sometimes that's all you can do.

Latest posts

Back