Am I being paranoid?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all. It's been exactly 3 weeks since I've had my BAOV replaced and thank God I've been managing fairly comfortably since. Each week I've noticed a good change in the amount of energy I have and I feel much stronger. However there is a slight niggle in my head. I had a severe leak in my aorta and my heart beat and the tick in my neck (pulse) was quite noticeable. In the first few weeks post surgery I immeadielty noticed how this was lessened. About a week ago I was napping when a pot fell off the kitchen counter and banged quite loudly onto the tile floor. As I was so close to it I awoke with a startle and panicked. I remember scrambling straight up out of bed (Which I can't currently do) and my heart was beating so fast. Since then I think Iv'e noticed a stronger beat again. Could this incident have caused a stitch to come loose around my new valve and a new leak or am I being stupid? My wife reckons its still the same but when I lie flat I can especially feel the tick in my neck.I'm not due for my check up till December 2nd. If I'm being a moron please just tell me! Thanks in advance.

Did you have just the valve done or did you get a graft also? Mechanical or tissue? I don't think anybody out here will be able to definitively tell you one way or another but I would think it's pretty unlikely. If it was leaking meaning less blood is pumping through your aorta because some was leaking out into your body cavity I would imagine if anything your pulse would feel weaker.

My tissue aortic valve sounded really loud for a few months post surgery. It was louder because it was 'new' and 'crisp' and much better than my stenotic BAV, and that new sound was new to my brain so I heard it. Perhaps the 'fright' you had made you more concsious of your new valve ? If you're concerned, why not see your GP and get him/her to listen to your heart and neck and give you his/her opinion ?

Hi

Guest;n860310 said:
. Could this incident have caused a stitch to come loose around my new valve and a new leak or am I being stupid?

if a stitch on your valve had come loose you would have bled to death internally well before you could have typed this.

so no ...

My wife reckons its still the same but when I lie flat I can especially feel the tick in my neck.I'm not due for my check up till December 2nd. If I'm being a moron please just tell me! Thanks in advance.

yes, you can feel the tick because now there is a new stiff tube conducting the pressure from the valve up to your aortic arch. Look at the anatomy and think about it.

rightarchcr.jpg

close to the neck isn't it :)

relax ... you're being a moron ;-)

I called myself a moron quite a few times after my OHS. Your mind can do funny things. Don't look for problems but I know it's easier said than done. I looked for issues all the time and my bride would just shake her head. Anyhow if you look on Youtube under Aortic Valve replacement you'll how many stiches they use. It's amazing. Like Pellicle said internal leaks, no way.

Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm. On-X valve done at Minn. Heart Institute. Dr. Vibhu Kshettry.

ELF I remember the first day of my cardiac rehab and I woke up 15 minutes after I was supposed to be there. I am not someone who is late for anything. My heart was beating 140 plus due to getting up to fast, getting dressed and get out the door in under 5 minutes. I thought I was going to cash in my chips that morning but things calmed down and it hasn't happened since then. However now after doing something strenuous my son and daughter have both told me that they can hear my heart beat even at distance of 10 feet. Anywho, o' to have that good of hearing, I told them not to worry unless you stop hearing the heartbeat. Thanx, Tank.

Back