Almonds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natanni

Friend of Nathan's at work, who is also on coumadin, found Nathan eating a handful of almonds on break. We are trying all sorts of things to get his cholesterol down. This guy said he doesn't eat almonds because he was told almonds mess with the INR too. True? Another Myth? I have read nothing about almonds yet...Nathan has been on the lower side (2.4). He has about 3/4 cup per day.

I eat almonds off and on. They don't mess with my INR.

But I will say I saw Dr. Memett Oz on Oprah this week. He said that people are eating too many almonds thinking it's a perfect healthy snack, when it's putting too much fat in their bodies. Small amounts are okay - such as a small handful a day.

At my cardiac Rehab class,...

At my cardiac Rehab class,...

...the dietician said for me to eat and a handful of almonds and walnuts mixed. She said they had omega 3 like salmon. I am underweight and this cardiac diet I am supposed to follow is not going to maintain my weight. She said it was a way to put " good fat" in my diet.
I am also on coumadin.

Almonds will help raise the "good" cholesterol, which will help with the overall number, but it's not really a case of more is better. 3/4 cup is probably at least 3 servings and 45g of fat or about 420 calories--that's more than 1/5 of a 2000 calorie a day diet. Almonds are great, but eating 3/4 cup a day doesn't leave much room for other dietary fat if you're sticking to the AHA recommended 30% maximum (67g max).

Natanni:

Almonds are one of the "healthy" nuts, albeit they will put fat on you.

Try incorporating whole grains -- adding barley, other grains to soups, lentils, experiment with quinoa, eating oatmeal or steel-cut oats -- in your diet and getting in more exercise to lower the cholesterol.
I had never eating much in the way of whole grains until 2 years ago. I love beef-barley-mushroom soup now and usually put barley in vegetable soups. Eat oatmeal 3-5 X a week.

Latest posts

Back