Alere Hione Monitoring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwsp768

What is up with Alere now changing their policy that we have to do twice a month reporting. For me this means I will be using 2 boxes of 12 strips per year rather than one box at their price of $165. My doctor has me call into Alere, who then sends the results to the doctor, Alere then turns around and charges Medicare $245 each quarter for this service. It seems they have cornered the market on INratio strips (strips used to cost me $90 through a medical supply)plus charging a high price for their service, no wonder our health insurance is through the roof with companies like this out there. Before going on Medicare, I did once a month testing for nine years, and if there was a problem only then did I need to see the doctor.

What is up with Alere now changing their policy that we have to do twice a month reporting. For me this means I will be using 2 boxes of 12 strips per year rather than one box at their price of $165.

Can you buy online (where a pack of 24 is about 150)?

Testing every two weeks is the most latest recommended frequency to assure one stays in range. It used to be 1/month now 1/2weeks.

Kaiser Permanante has me testing every 8 weeks at this point. I use my Ebay-purchased InRatio2 monitor to fill in between, but now that InRatio strips can't be bought from Amazon or Ebay, that option is disappearing for me.

I had InRatio strips that I stopped using, because I did NOT trust the results. If money was not an issue (and I understand that it is for most of us, myself included), I would bite the bullet, sell my InRatio meter on eBay or Amazon, and move to a different meter. The one that I trust most (based on personal testing and lab comparisons) is the Coag-Sense with the CoaguChek XS running a close second. The CoaguChek XS, with its ready supply of strips, and (sometimes) fairly reasonable price may be a better option for some of us than sticking with InRatio, or enriching Alere with their 'monitoring' service.
8 weeks between tests is, to my mind, lunacy - no matter how 'consistent' your INR has been, it only takes a week with an INR that is dangerously low to get a stroke. I don't think that the cost savings is worth the risk.

For me, testing less frequently than once every two weeks makes no sense (I sometimes let it run from 10 days to two weeks, but am more comfortable testing weekly).

Protimenow said:
I had InRatio strips that I stopped using, because I did NOT trust the results. If money was not an issue (and I understand that it is for most of us, myself included), I would bite the bullet, sell my InRatio meter on eBay or Amazon, and move to a different meter. The one that I trust most (based on personal testing and lab comparisons) is the Coag-Sense with the CoaguChek XS running a close second. The CoaguChek XS, with its ready supply of strips, and (sometimes) fairly reasonable price may be a better option for some of us than sticking with InRatio, or enriching Alere with their 'monitoring' service.
8 weeks between tests is, to my mind, lunacy - no matter how 'consistent' your INR has been, it only takes a week with an INR that is dangerously low to get a stroke. I don't think that the cost savings is worth the risk.

For me, testing less frequently than once every two weeks makes no sense (I sometimes let it run from 10 days to two weeks, but am more comfortable testing weekly).

Yeah, I agree about moving to another meter. I've had good luck with the InRatio up to this point and all my tests have agreed with the lab to within 0.2 except for 1 test that differed by 0.6 when I was on Penicillin. When my InRatio strips are all used up and no more are available. I will most likely get a Coagucheck XS.

Kaiser Permanante has me testing every 8 weeks at this point. I use my Ebay-purchased InRatio2 monitor to fill in between, but now that InRatio strips can't be bought from Amazon or Ebay, that option is disappearing for me.

I was doing the same thing. Then like everyone else was unable to get strips. I called the Kaiser self testing center and they actually told me that they would provide enough strips for testing twice a month. Had a pretty good discussion with the lady and she said that they could probably get me a prescription to by my own strips if I wanted to.

I also left a message on the Alere website and they actually called me today. Sounds like if I provide a prescription I can buy strips. But since they are a monitoring service they do want to get you on their program to let them monitor you. She did say that if I can provide proof of another monitoring program they waive that requirement.

So although not as convenient as Ebay or Amazon it looks like there are some options.

Gary

I had three strips left, and I couldn't find anyone to sell me more so I bought a Coagucheck XS off eBay. I bought this out of pocket.
My doctor gave me a prescription for self monitoring, but my insurance company turned me down. I didn't like having to spend the money again after only two years with my Inratio 2, but I didn't feel I had a choice. The money spent is worth it for my piece of mind, but I still don't like having to spend it.

Allere tries the real hard sell but when you get the insurance companies involved, Allere will provide you strips and a monitor w/o any proof of a test reporting service. You can call your cardiologist's office with results yourself.

For me, the XS always seems to be a bit (.5 or so) higher than the lab that I occasionally go to. My Coag-Sense is typically .2 - .4 lower. Because I'd rather know that my INR is ABOVE 2.0, I'm slightly more comfortable with the Coag-Sense (although it may be a bit more of a challenge to get supplies than it is with CoaguChek XS). Maybe a few years from now, availability will be much better.
I'm not on Medicare (yet), and self-testing has been out of pocket, but I believe that it's important for any of us who are able to self-test to be able to do so (especially if our doctors or clinics are comfortable with monthly or less frequent testing).

Steve, dealing with Allere, my insurance company, my new home monitor provider (a "partner" with Allere) and my cardiologist was a good exercise in diplomacy. Take good notes and get first and last names (last initial if they don't give out last names) so you can remember exact facts and who told you what. For another problem, I got coverage I should not have gotten, but it was mistakenly promised to me and my notes concerning the promise were backed up by their recording of the conversation.

Latest posts

Back