Al -- question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Hi, Al (or anyone who wants to answer). Any interactions between Coumadin and either zinc supplements or coumadin and Prilosec OTC? Thanks.

Zinc - no problem

Prilosec - theoretically it could happen but in reality I can't find where anything bad has happened.

Sherry,
I started a post a few weeks ago looking for the same answer.
I believe I have acid reflux and will find out for sure later this week.
Looking at the web-site for Prilosec I found the list of interactions.
At the top of that list was Coumadin.
At the same time many people who responded to my post about acid reflux, are taking things like Prilosec with their Coumadin, and apparently having no problems.
My uneducated guess is it would be similar to taking aspirin with Coumadin.
I think it might raise ones INR slightly.
Since mine has been running a little high lately, I'm holding off on taking something like Prilosec OTC until I get back in range.
For the time being I'm just using Mylanta.
Rich

I checked the National Library of Medicine this morning and found lots of theory but no actual reports of harm done.

Thanks both Al and Rich. I'm going to start it (Prilosec) tomorrow and hope for some relief from this chronic heartburn.

I just looked again at the National Library of Medicine. The claim 15 million articles available since the 1950's. A check of articles containing both of the words warfarin and omeprazole (Prilosec's generic name) turned up 46 articles going back to 1989.

I can find:
An article in the Archives of Internal Medicine (2005) by some of the best warfarin interaction names in the business who say to avoid the combination, but I do not have access to the entire article at home so I cannot figure out why - but surely they based their conclusion on the same articles that I can access.

A 2003 article about what the combination causes in rats.

A 2003 article about the combination's effect on dog liver.

A British Medical Journal article from 1999 that says, "There have been no studies from primary care to evaluate the possible clinical effects of the concomitant use of acid-suppressing drugs and warfarin; some fluctuations in coagulation control, particularly in patients taking the combinations intermittently, may be due to this."

A 1999 article that says that 10% of people taking omeprazole also take at least 1 other drug that it interacts with.

A report in 1992 that found that omeprazole interacted with a type of warfarin that the body hardly utilizes and had little effect on the type of warfarin that the body does utilize.

A letter to the editor of the Southern Medical Journal in 1991 about an interaction, but letters are not abstracted so I don't know what it said.

And a 1989 article where the combination was given to 25 healthy men and the conclusion was,"The small effect of omeprazole on the anticoagulation activity of warfarin is not likely to be of clinical importance."

So I'll stand by my statement that the National Library of Medicine has not indexed and articles reporting harm from this combination.

Since Prilosec was the number 1 drug a few years ago and the huge pressure for those in academic medicine to publish an article that would be the first of its kind, my guess is that the other stuff is CYA.

Latest posts

Back