Airport security w/a mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

Im flying to Orlando, Florida next Satueday to visist an aunt and uncle and wonder about going thru the metal detectors. Will my St Judes valve cause detector to go off? I never got a card or anything stating I have a mechanical valve.

I see my cardiologist in Monday and will ask him for a note if I need one.

Oh, my Duke doctors confirm what my local cardio saw on my recent echo is correct. The valve may be too small, but he could not put a bigger one in so I will probably not be subjected to another surgery (thank God). owever my left ventricular function is much worse than before surgery. They will just have to keep a close eye on this.

Happy Valentines Day to all!!!!
:)

You are cleared for takeoff

You are cleared for takeoff

Hi Alicia

Rest assured your St. Jude's will not set off the metal detectors. The reason for this is simple...they contain no metal! I have 2 of 'em, aortic and mitral, and have flown many times since the surgery.

My dang shoes with the metal in the soles keeps setting if off, though, LOL.

If you want to contact St. Jude about getting your registration card, here is the info off of my "Patient Identification Card":

St. Jude Medical
One Lillihei Plaza
St. Paul, MN 55117-1799
651-483-2000
1-800-344-5833

It may be too soon...it took me about a month to get mine.

Last edited:
Johnny is right...no metal, no detection. I've been all over the world through every kind of detector and physical "pat down' you can imagine. However, I did get questioned in the Middle East one time on what the significance was of the "snake" emblem on my Medic-Alert necklace! That was a hoot getting that one resolved...but I did have the St. Jude card, which helped.

If you insist on having something to set the detector off, I'll send you my left hip. Guaranteed it sets it off everytime, then you get the "Special Treatment" from the guards! :D

No thanks Ross, I'll pass on that one!
Does the St Jude company send me a card to keep in my wallet?
Its been almost 6 weeks now.

I still have to get a medic alert bracelet or necklace.

Hi Alicia,

Yes, they should send you a card. It's like a credit card with the information about the valve, Serial number, Model number, Implant date, Surgeon and Hospital.

I didn't get mine until about 8 weeks if I recall.

Rob

Hi Alicia,
I had to finally contact my surgeons office to get my card from St. Judes.
The valves are made from carbon so like the guys said there is no metal.
PS. If you contact St. Jude you can request a model of the valve so when people ask you about it you can show them.
They sent me a whole packet including a video.

alicia

alicia

I wasn't worried about the mechanical valve and metal detector, but the person sitting next to me on the plane, hearing that ticking sounds, my kids say they can hear it whenever I'm near.

I also have a valve ID card and a medic alert bracelet.

Have fun in Florida, soak up some of that warm weather for me,

Terry40

Snowing here again in the northeast UGH!

No Problem...

No Problem...

Hi--hey--come on down--the weather is great!!! Don't worry about the metal detector--as others have said, no metal. But you should make sure you do get your card from St. Judes--follow up if you don't receive it soon. Also do wear jewelry saying that you have the mechanical valve and are taking coumadin--it could save your life! Hope you enjoy your stay here in sunny Florida!! Sue:cool: :D

Only if you're lucky enough to get the

Only if you're lucky enough to get the

"wand treatment".

I didn't have a replacement, but a repair. Just walking through the metal detectors, was fine, but we were lucky enough to be randomly selected for the wand treatment.

When the wand was passed over my chest, it beeped because of the wires holding my sternum together. The lady said, "oh, that must be a necklace or something". I told her I wasn't wearing a necklace, that it was my chest wires from open-heart surgery, and she said, Oh, OOOH!! She didn't make me prove it, but may have seen the top of my scar sticking out of my blouse.

Maybe some of the wands are more sensitive than others, because we also got wanded on the way home, and it didn't get set off.

Hi Alicia!
I flew home from Cleveland right after my surgery. I didn't set off any of the metal detectors. They even did a special search on me and my husband because it was a one way ticket. They did the wand thingy and nothing happened. I did tell them about my surgery before hand just in case. I guess I also looked like I may have just gotten out of the hospital there, because I was doing my breathing on my spirometer. They even had me send my spirometer through the xray machine. You should be fine and have no problems. It does take awhile to get your St. Jude's card. It took about 2 months before I received mine.

Take Care!
Gail

Im postponing my trip for awhile. The Coreg I started taking is kicking my butt and making me so darn tired and no energy! I see my cardio tomorrow and we will have a nice long talk. I dont understand why my heart function is so much worse now than it was prior to surgery. Its almost liek I had the surgery for nothing!
Thanks for all the feedback but I;ve cancelled for awhile til I feel better.

Latest posts

Back