After the surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjromano1

Hi all since i am asytomatic except some tiredness will i feel different after all of this :ie more energetic etc. I still work fulltime( I am a retired police sergeant) a supervisor for a banks maintenance dept if i still have a job after i return. Even as supervisor i still perform physical labor lifting,climbing ladders etc. if i can after this.
Vinnie:confused:

Under normal circumstances, yes. There is no way to predict how your surgery will go though. Most people do much better after a few weeks of recovery. Your lifting may be weight limited and you'll have to see how you handle ladders when you get there.

I was asymptomatic. To be honest, the surgery takes a lot out of you so I felt worse before I felt better. Now I've recovered fully from the OHS I do everything I used to do, and I don't really feel all that different from pre-surgery except I know on the inside my heart chambers have returned to normal size and the heart walls have thickened. In other words I don't feel different physically, I do everything I used to...no more no less...., but I feel a whole lot better mentally.

better

better

prior to surgery my heart would beat quite hard when walking up a hill etc, sometimes i felt a little bit strange when i bent over and also i was a little breathless sometimes; all the same, i was regarded as largely asymtomatic.

all of those symptoms went away straight after surgery and after 3/4 months i was 100% normal, doing quite heavy work and climbing ladders etc. walking up hills etc is a breeze.

so as long as you do not have serious structural heart damage due to surgery being delayed too long etc, you should expect to make a 100% recovery to normal.

and that does mean a recovery to normal for you; you will not become superman. and as we get older, "normal is a declining state".

good luck!

I was asymptomatic enough that there was some question early on whether I was going to need the surgery. But some people just have a high pain/discomfort threshold, and although I had some angina, I presented oddly (as do many women) with only some tension across my shoulders. A year ago I did 6 minutes on a treadmill without feeling anything; my last stress echo didn't include the treadmill because the doctor who was monitoring me would let me get on it. He was afraid I'd buy it right there.

Since surgery however, I already feel immensely better, just two weeks post--to the point that I'm only now realizing how bad I felt before. So you may be one of those folks who won't know until you're fixed just how broken you are!

Every recovery is different, of course, but if all goes well you should feel noticeably better as soon as your chest stops hurting (and that's really more like feeling sore and bruised to me, rather than painful).

Wishing you all the best. I hope all goes well for you, and that you make a full recovery.

Latest posts

Back