Active, 10 months post surgery and not 100%?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill

How long does it take to get to 100% back to normal post surgery?

I had a mitral valve repair and a ring put in. I felt Great pre-surgery. Its been 10 monthes. I feel good, but I am not back to 100% cardio.

I work out daily, very active at work and outside work, and I am simply not making the gains or getting back to where i was.

Well, it took me about a year to feel somewhat decent but off course that was after my 3rd OHS & I was 56 years old at the time of the surgery. All I'm saying is that everyone's recovery period is different. Some people are able to spring right back. Others, like myself, the recovery is slow & difficult.

Hang in there & be patient with yourself. Don't get depressed or over anxious if you can't do everything you'd like to be doing. Your body is still trying to heal so give it some more time.

Good luck & stay well! :)

Well Bill, it's been 13 months,and I'm still not fully back to "normal". I had aortic valve replacement Feb 13th, of last year. I had some complications. Effusion, and a pericardial window. Also pericarditis. I am still taking prednesone for that. I have to say that I am dissapointed with my recovery. Everyone is different, and I believe it takes some people longer than others to bounce back. I am 57, and was basically asymptomatic. The only time I can feel a difference is when I am on my stationary bike. I do not get winded,and tired like I did pre-surgery. That is a definite plus! I believe I will keep improving, with moderate, but consistent exercise!

Hang in there and be patient! It WILL GET BETTER!

After my first surgery in 2001 I was told that it could take me up to 2 yearsto recover from surgery and feel 100% health. Keep working at your physical rehab routine.Have you finished cardiac rehab yet?
Lettitia

I don't know what normal is, but I would say I was happy with where I was after 10-12 months. I could run 10 miles but I still had tenderness in the sternum so I did no lifting or pushups or the like for the first year.

Welcome to the zoo :D ... Glad you found us ... Everyone is different ... I don't run or lift weights but am an avid tree swinger :rolleyes: ... It was about a year or so before I felt like my old self, then it just got better and better ... It takes time.

This is Bill again. Appreciate the comments. 2nd time here, newbie.
My resting pulse use to be below 60 and is now much higher. I feel like I need to "catch my breath" at odd times.
I have no pain, anymore, doing weights...... flys, bench press, pushups.
I probably need to run more. My cardio workouts are spinning class, swimming (+-1 mile a couple of times a seek), and treadmill running. I ski/snowboard weekly at + 10,000'
I just returned from a surfing trip in Nicaragua and felt good, almost 100%. 50 yrs young.
I am a ranger and have been req'd to take phys fitness tests for the past 20 yrs. A few weeks ago I had another test and my 1.5 run was about 2+ mins slower than normal. (12 mins). I was sucking wind. Had the legs but not the cardio? Frustrating and scares me.

Appointment with my cardiologist the end of the month. She is going to say I am doing great, it takes time, you went through a big surgery, mid-life is hell.
I was told I would probably see a big increase in cardio output. (supposedly my pre-surgury cardio output was lacking 55% of norm)
Funny story canned: I did a 1.5 hour trail hill run before going to Dr to get echo (pre diagnosis & surgery). I fell asleep while they were doing it. I woke to hear them saying, "I don't think we can give him a Stress Echo with that amount of regurge". Sheesh - hell of a way to wake up. I just did a hard run!

My resting pulse is up, my BP is up, I am at about 90% pre-surgery.
I just wonder if they tightened up my valve too much, and lack cardio output.
Will I get it back? I will ask my cardiologist.
I trust my cardiologist and surgeon 100% (and would highly recommend the Heart Hosp of N.M./Albuquerque, trained under whats his name in Cleveland Clinic)

Interesting writing this down and knowing others with similar heart issues........

Bill, just a couple of suggestions. One, I thought I was back in shape at 6 months. Now 2 years later, I am really get back in shape. My 5k times are just about what they were 4 years ago. That's pretty good.
Two, please check out cardiacathletes.org. Lot's of runners, bikers, lifters there who suffer from the same questions........

Wheb I had my surgery, way back in the days, It took me about six months. I was up running around and doing things I could never do before. Without that surgery I'd not have been here. Mine was an unusual situation most healing takes anywhere from 6 - 18 months. The last thing you want to do is to do too much.

Best wishes for you.

Hi Bill

Welcome and congratulations on your recovery and return to the lifestyle of a 25-year-old!

I'm about your age, but had surgery > 7 years ago. I had been perplexed by observations similar to yours. Now I'm merely curious...which is probably good, because being perplexed for the long term is at least useless and probably bad for me. ;)

Here are a couple of other threads in a similar vein:

http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23046

http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25500

I had surgery in January (02), and I go into semi-hibernation in winter, so I'm not sure exactly when I turned the corner on recovery. I had my annual cycling vacation 9 months after my surgery and guesstimate I was 85-90%. The following summer I seemed to be at full recovery. Since then I haven't gotten any faster or slower (a bonus for an old guy).

The good news for me is that I don't take any meds other than daily aspirin, I have no complications or activity restrictions, my valve performs flawlessly and my heart has returned to normal dimensions. Pre-surg, I had been deteriorating at a pretty rapid rate, most likely on track to be in heart failure by age 50 w/o surgical intervention. Now, I am enjoying an active life with my family and am on track to outlive my 401(K) :) :( :eek:

Regarding those two threads: They're ONLY two data points, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from them. I also recall that I've recently read a thread by a MV repair patient who was kicking serious @ in cardio competition...but can't recall enough of the detail to search and locate.

I wish you the best and hope you continue to make improvements. If that's not in the cards, I hope you continue to enjoy your trail running, skiing, surfing, etc. with the rebuilt engine you've got.

Cheers,

Im glad you asked this, im 4 months post surgery, yes i have a few problems, sterum not fused together. I was wondering the same thing, im still so tired falling asleep most afternoons, still get slightly out of breath when walking nowhere near as bad as before my op for AVR and Mitral Valve repair. I am still not working and cannot see myself going back for a while yet. I do get weepy as i was thinking i should be doing better.
I hope you continue to improve
Jane

Welcome to the zoo :D ... Glad you found us ... Everyone is different ... I don't run or lift weights but am an avid tree swinger :rolleyes: ... It was about a year or so before I felt like my old self, then it just got better and better ... It takes time.

~~~~~~~~~~
Well Cooker, It's lucky you don't live in Arizona. Swinging on those cacti
can be very...prickly!
~~~~~~~~~~

I'm feeling much better at 13 months than I did at 10. If the snow would only melt I am really ready for some golf.

quick replies

quick replies

Tex/Jane, 4 months......... that was a rough time for me too. At 4 months I was done with the worst of the pain, but kind of in limbo. I would get out of breath for no reason while laying on the couch? My salvation was walking. It helped with boredom, gave me something to focus on, and definately in hindsight really helped me improve. Just real short walks at first, even around the house. Your sternum will heal and things will get better!
"If you?re going through hell, keep going". -Winston Churchill

Bill, Cleveland Clinic
My research on MVR lead me to the Cleveland Clinic. Everything I read and heard was very positive. I chose my surgeon here in N.M. because he trained under the Cl Clinic doc.
If you can outlive your 401K with this downturn, you need to help me with my investments!!!!

One other comment of note. Percosets/opiates. At one point in my recovery I realized that the only time I was feeling good/"happy" was while I was taking percosets. I had a huge bottle of the happy pills.
Be careful all, very addictive. Pain is not good, but be aware.

Thanks everyone for the replies & comments!!!

Tex/Jane, 4 months......... that was a rough time for me too. At 4 months I was done with the worst of the pain, but kind of in limbo. I would get out of breath for no reason while laying on the couch? My salvation was walking. It helped with boredom, gave me something to focus on, and definately in hindsight really helped me improve. Just real short walks at first, even around the house. Your sternum will heal and things will get better!
"If you?re going through hell, keep going". -Winston Churchill

Bill, Cleveland Clinic
My research on MVR lead me to the Cleveland Clinic. Everything I read and heard was very positive. I chose my surgeon here in N.M. because he trained under the Cl Clinic doc.
If you can outlive your 401K with this downturn, you need to help me with my investments!!!!

One other comment of note. Percosets/opiates. At one point in my recovery I realized that the only time I was feeling good/"happy" was while I was taking percosets. I had a huge bottle of the happy pills.
Be careful all, very addictive. Pain is not good, but be aware.

Thanks everyone for the replies & comments!!!

Hi Bill,welcome and the opiates,are terribly addicting,however
didnot do a thing for me accept keep me in pain.
Had my surgery Jan 22 and still slow progress,and moved now
to tylenol3 addiction instaed of percosets;) just joking about
my addiction,but 2nd surgery for me and slow progress.
Glad you found us and keep posting us.

zipper2 (DEB)

After my CABG 15 years ago, I was back at work 3 weeks post-surgery (teaching, four classes instead of 6), and working out regularly on a ski machine. It probably took me four months to feel really good (I was 47 at the time). I'm not sure how long it'll take me this time (after an AVR, as yet unscheduled), but plan to do as much rehab as possible before I have to start teaching again in summer--and this time will take 13 weeks off. Your experience gives me some hope.

Sumo

You mentioned something on another page that caught my eye: "You ain't getting any younger, so don't blame the valve for what's going to happen naturally anyway. I slowed down a lot because of taking a beta blocker. That does effect max heart rate."

Why has the beta blocker slowed you down? I am taking Carvedilol for high BP. Its a beta blocker.
I feel like I have my strength back, but am still sucking wind......., more than pre-surgury when running and swimming? Could the Carvedilol be involved?

I will ask my doctor in a couple of weeks.

The age comment .......... I am in denial in regards to age!!!!

Why has the beta blocker slowed you down? I am taking Carvedilol for high BP. Its a beta blocker.
I feel like I have my strength back, .........

The age comment .......... I am in denial in regards to age!!!!

Hi Bill,

Welcome aboard and I am happy for you. May you feel better and better and enjoy your new healthier you for 50 more years:)

Carvedilol also slowed me down...most probably because it lowered my BP too much, in my case as I was taking it to lower my HR not BP, even when I took 6.25mgs only a day!

Stay around:)

Why has the beta blocker slowed you down?

BBs trim off the max heart rate. You can no longer push it up to your previous max. I've proven many times that I can run a 5K at least a minute faster by not taking the BB the night before a race. You can't just stop taking BBs though. Your system is addicted to them and your heart rhythm will rebel on you if you go cold turkey. But I have delayed taking it until after the race the next morning and my performance improves.

OK my friend-I had surgery 2005;joined the Valve-o-lines runners in the beginning of the 1st of the now 4 year marathon relay stint (WIneglass in Corning coming up!!)I was a duathlete prior to surgery and now 4 YEARS LATER finally feel like I am ready to rumble. Now don't get all "poor me -I suck "about it. The Beta blockers plough you into the ground!! I thought I was dragging a parachute when running. Recovery is hard. UNless you are Lance Armstrong.They cut open your chest and play patty cake with your heart. I always tell my patients (I'm a PT) the greatest gift and curse of modern medicine is how much easier it is now than it used to be.
Listen, seriously, you are alive and can run or bike another day. If you have the perseverance to keep going you will be a happy man. Yes, you may be older,but so what? You're alive and come on-run. Join us in Corning NY and complain and laugh. Bill Cobit is the greatest IM stud who won't admit it. Listen to his advice (Hi Bill!!!) One day you will feel good like you turned the corner and another day you will think that you are ready to give it up and just speed walk with the ladies on the block. Heart surgery is like life compressed-up,down ,bad, good, crappy ,wonderful and ultimately a test of WHO YOU ARE.
LLJ
PS: Don't forget to ALWAYS consult your cardiologist and make sure you liek him/her

Sumo-Jake,

I am taking this for high BP which I question. Borderline high bp. But I have also been out of serious running for almost a year, and I am 50. I am very competetive and driven....... Ran yesterday, felt my first "2nd wind", pushed it from there and the 2nd wind was not there for me? Normally at that point I would kick in. About a 45 min + run. I will discuss with my cardiologist and keep pushing myself. Its just frustrating, my 2nd wind/runners high is not there. A week or two or three more of training will tell. Maybe I am just looking for easy outs? But, this run pre-surgery and pre-high BP meds would have been an easy day. Just trying to understand it. Appreciate your imput.
The true test would be to play with the carvedilol, which I am sure I will do when I feel that I am back in running shape.
LLJ - I felt great pre surgery and now feel like I am draggin a chute. I do understand that my MV needed repair.
Diet, healthy livin', and maybe I can get rid of the BBs. That means cutting out alcohol, and clean living. I have definately cut back. Hmm, rough choice. Hell getting older and having to cut things out.............

Latest posts

Back