Aches and pains- Bicuspid's, all or me?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryp

Hello all,

I am now 6 months post AVR replacement and Aneurysm removal.

I am a Bi-cuspid.

I have noticed little aches and pains in the chest (both sides) occasionally. Nothing that lasts, sometimes near the incision and sometimes over the rib etc etc. Lasts 10 secs or so, like with a sudden movement or deep breathe in an awkward position.

Just wondering if this was still the healing process for all or just an additional benefit of being bi-cuspid or just some additional issue for me.

Any others past 6 mths that recall this or at 6 months currently please share your thoughts.

tx

Cory

I would say still healing. Even after years, you may feel some weird sensations in those areas. I know mine hurts when I lean over the tub to wash my hair, so I use a couple towels to cushion it. I guess I should say it may never feel right again?

Your ribs are full of nerve endings and tiny muscles. When you move awkwardly, you may be stretching muscles that haven't been stretched much since the healing process began, and may have healed in awkward positions. These pains are a part of costochondritis, and can be temporary or long-term. I suspect the realignment and attachment of the sternum plays a role in this, but can't say for certain.

Consider trying some loosening up movements in the mornings, just movements that stretch every part of you and your rib cage in the morning. That might make it less likely that you'll suddenly find these sharply painful spots that can bring tears to your eyes. I believe it was Satchel Paige who advised that people should "sort of jangle around when you walk" to stay loose. It's a thought.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back